Chiefs Broncos Gameday Thread

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs have had a lot of wins this year that easily could have been loses. Lack of turn overs isnt helping. I think KC is like -5. 

And the Chiefs have three losses that easily could have been wins.  Two Jones penalties and a Kelce fumble kind of cancels out the shaky wins. 

4 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Any team in the play offs can beat KC. The good Qbs torch this defense. KC played two teams with their top QBs out. The defense ranking stats are misleading. NO real pass rush means Mahomes and the offense will need to play almost perfect. The good news we have seen that many times. 

100% agree.  Problem is when our Oline isn't great and Mahomes starts forcing things.  We saw that today, which didn't really matter but against a team that is cooking our D that will result in an L.   Not having a legit #1 hurts this team.  Mahomes and Andy find ways to make it work but when they are in a bind you need more than just Kelce.  We have a a whole group of #2/3 guys which is overall better than last year but have two elite guys really helps in certain situations.   The issue is when you traded Hill the though was your D and WR room as a whole would be better.  The WR are doing good, not great, but miss Hardman and Toney.   The D isn't any better than last year really.   I had high hopes for this D at about this point in the season.    

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

100% agree.  Problem is when our Oline isn't great and Mahomes starts forcing things.  We saw that today, which didn't really matter but against a team that is cooking our D that will result in an L.   Not having a legit #1 hurts this team.  Mahomes and Andy find ways to make it work but when they are in a bind you need more than just Kelce.  We have a a whole group of #2/3 guys which is overall better than last year but have two elite guys really helps in certain situations.   The issue is when you traded Hill the though was your D and WR room as a whole would be better.  The WR are doing good, not great, but miss Hardman and Toney.   The D isn't any better than last year really.   I had high hopes for this D at about this point in the season.    

The Chiefs are too reliant on Kelce.  How many targets did Moore get?  Watson?  Fortson?  Maybe Toney and Hardman will help but a few slants and tosses to the RBs would help more in my opinion.  Mahommes doesn't trust MVS, maybe for a reason, but he should be used for more than deep targets.

Also how did jeudy get away from taking his helmet off in the field of play and no penalty? He also bumped into a ref and no ejection.  Saw this during the game when they were down and no points yet. Read on it too and others are writing about it also.

I didn’t see any of the game. A few things to stay level headed:

—Denver has lost to us forever in a row at this point. They are motivated to end that losing streak.

—Denver’s defense has been dominating. Their offense has been crap. Chiefs gifted them chances to hang around after getting up big. But don’t knock that unit. That unit doesn’t allow points very often.

—Andy needs to run the damn ball with a lead.

—Division games are hard. Road division games are harder.

—The Chiefs play to the level of their competition. The competition also plays to the level of the litmus test game against the gold standard franchise of the last five years.

25 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I didn’t see any of the game. A few things to stay level headed:

—Denver has lost to us forever in a row at this point. They are motivated to end that losing streak.

—Denver’s defense has been dominating. Their offense has been crap. Chiefs gifted them chances to hang around after getting up big. But don’t knock that unit. That unit doesn’t allow points very often.

—Andy needs to run the damn ball with a lead.

—Division games are hard. Road division games are harder.

—The Chiefs play to the level of their competition. The competition also plays to the level of the litmus test game against the gold standard franchise of the last five years.

Agree that people shouldn't over-react to today's performance, but why did the D collapse after an int?  Why do the Chiefs play down to inferior opponents?  Why can't they get pressure more consistently against an awful and makeshift O-line?  Why can't they run the ball more creatively rather than a few basic plays?  Why are the DBs so often looking confused this late in the season?  Just wondering. 

9 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes it is. Reid has been here how many years? He is not going to change. He was the guy that could not win the big games. He did win it in KC and did not run the ball then. He may return to the guy that cant win the big game again even with Mahomes. He is STUBBORN and I think he loves his GENIUS REPUTATION and media hype.

That said. Im sure thrilled he is the Chiefs Head Coach. Winning every year is FANTASTIC. 

That’s the thing, he actually did run the ball at just the right situations in the winning SB year. It’s just that he’s not doing it much this year or the situations are just different. Its hard to tell as a fan what’s really going on.

Ironic that it was a running play that sealed his first SB win. I’m really thankful we got it back then

This teams problems all stem from up front on both sides of the ball. That D-Line is horrible. The Tackles are mediocre at best and we need a true #1 WR. JUJU is a very good #2 but not a #1 for sure. Frank Clark is just ass. They better figure something out or this will be a quick exit from the playoffs.

3 Ints by Patrick  is nobody's fault but his yet I see little criticism of him only Andy and Defense.. He's the reason it was as close as it was.

He's to blame period and on that thought did he not struggle after Sterling's birth? BLAME BRONZ and bad timing with the pregnancy, could they not of planned it for an off season birth? Kids seem to not be able to control their urges .

On another thought a JuJu, Reek and Kelce trio would of been a joy to watch

Situational Football: 

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/12/12/kc-chiefs-need-isiah-pacheco-less-patrick-mahomes/

That having been said…

Patrick Mahomes (and Andy Reid) are at fault for letting the Broncos back into this game because they refused to adjust their plan of attack to fit the situation. Mahomes threw three BAD interceptions. Those are on him. He has to be better and smarter than that and he knows it. After the game, he admitted as much in his post-game comments “I just can’t put our team in that situation. You don’t win a lot of games in this league when you have three interceptions”. He’s right, he threw those passes and he owned it. He should have been smarter with the ball when protecting a big lead. You don’t need to be reckless in that situation like you would if you were down 27-0.

That having been said…

This isn’t all on Patrick Mahomes. Andy Reid has to share a BIG part of this as well. He’s the offensive mastermind and he’s the one that kept dialing up pass plays with a big lead. Now, that might be understandable if the Broncos were stuffing the run, but they weren’t. That brings me to Isiah Pacheco.

Here’s what is inexcusable when it comes to Andy Reid and the play-calling after the Chiefs took a 27-0 lead. When the Chiefs went up 27-0 with 4:32 left in the second quarter Isiah Pacheco had 8 carries for 46 yards. That’s 5.75 yards per carry up to that point. From that moment on he only had 5 carries for 24 yards. That’s @#$%* absurd. That is some criminal play-calling malpractice. I respect what a brilliant offensive mind Andy Reid is in the big picture, but sometimes he galaxy brains himself when following “Football For Dummies” would get the job done.

You have a young, explosive, physical running back that is averaging 5.75 yards per carry and a 27-0 lead. RUN THE STINKING BALL MAN!!!! Why in the wide, wide, world of sports is Patrick Mahomes’ pass attempts outnumbering Pacheco’s runs 22 to 5 from that point on in the game? Seriously, I dare anyone to make an argument in favor of that. You can’t do it.

I wish that was my only complaint related to using Pacheco, but I’m not quite done yet. The Chiefs didn’t even use him when they actually did run the ball in important situations in the second half. They trusted Michael Burton on a key third-and-short run over him and Burton failed miserably. They were even using McKinnon in key running situations on the final drive until they finally put Pacheco in for one carry and he preceded to rip off a 10-yard run for a first down that iced the game.

but I thought EB was the play caller. That is  a little tongue in cheek but  are not the play callers the ones with the play sheets covering their mouths? I dont see Andy doing that.. I know it goes without saying that they collaborate.  Why no EB Blame?

Oh and has anyone heard about EB and potential HC jobs? I have not  it has been mostly the DC from the Bills. If the Chiefs are not careful  Nagy will be picked up as a OC and we'll still have EB

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

And the Chiefs have three losses that easily could have been wins.  Two Jones penalties and a Kelce fumble kind of cancels out the shaky wins. 

True. We can plat that game over and over again. I guess my point is KC wins ugly more often than not. Mahomes saves this team from itself. 

KC is also very fortunate in the injury department so far. 

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

but I thought EB was the play caller. That is  a little tongue in cheek but  are not the play callers the ones with the play sheets covering their mouths? I dont see Andy doing that.. I know it goes without saying that they collaborate.  Why no EB Blame?

Oh and has anyone heard about EB and potential HC jobs? I have not  it has been mostly the DC from the Bills. If the Chiefs are not careful  Nagy will be picked up as a OC and we'll still have EB

Maybe, hoping, Nagy has been told he is the next KC HC? 

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Oh and has anyone heard about EB and potential HC jobs. I have not  it has been mostly the DC from the Bills. If the Chiefs are not careful  Nagy will be picked up as a OC and we'll still have EB

There should be EB blame. I understand ultimately Reid is responsible as he is the architect of our offense and has input in all situations.

But you are right. EB is calling plays this year. It's no longer debatable to anyone with a pair of working eyes. You'd think a former RB would rely more heavily on the run, but he doesn't. He appears to be very similar to Reid from a playcalling standpoint. Live and die by the pass.

And back to Reid. I think the main reason why many (including myself) continue to beat this drum is that in a situation where you are up 27 with the ball, he HAS to get on the headset and say " hey...its time to let Pacheco eat." But he doesn't. He never has. And he's never going to. Reids flaws have been his flaws for nearly 25 yrs as a HC. 

I do not understand. Because it's not something that makes sense. He just can't see it. The guy cannot see it. Not during the game. He sees it on film review. He acknowledges it in interviews. " we need to stay committed to the run." But ON GAMEDAY he can't see it.

It is fucking mind boggling OT, but it is the reason why the man doesn't have several rings. He makes the same mistakes as a HC now that he made in the 1990's. NO ONE can get through to him in the moment. And I question whether he even has anyone on staff that has the balls to tell him. We need to run. 

To help the QB when he's having an off day. To control the clock. To demoralize the defense. To take the crowd out of it. To rest our own defense. To play to the strength of our o line. For the love of all things holy...run the fucking football!

7 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

There should be EB blame. I understand ultimately Reid is responsible as he is the architect of our offense and has input in all situations.

But you are right. EB is calling plays this year. It's no longer debatable to anyone with a pair of working eyes. You'd think a former RB would rely more heavily on the run, but he doesn't. He appears to be very similar to Reid from a playcalling standpoint. Live and die by the pass.

And back to Reid. I think the main reason why many ( including myself) continue to beat this drum is that in a situation where you are up 27 with the ball, he HAS to get on the headset and say " hey...its time to let Pacheco eat." But he doesn't. He never has. And he's never going to. Reids flaws have been his flaws for nearly 25 yrs as a HC. 

I do not understand. Because it's not something that makes sense. He just can't see it. The guy cannot see it. Not during the game. He sees it on film review. He acknowledges it in interviews. " we need to stay committed to the run." But ON GAMEDAY he can't see it.

It is fucking mind boggling OT, but it is the reason why the man doesn't have several rings. He makes the same mistakes as a HC now that he made in the 1990's. NO ONE can get through to him in the moment. And I question whether he even has anyone on staff that has the balls to tell him. We need to run. 

To help the QB when he's having an off day. To control the clock. To demoralize the defense. To take the crowd out of it. To rest our own defense. To play to the strength of our o line. For the love of all things holy...run the fucking football!

Excellent thoughts and clarification.

Its also a big reason the D struggles. KC does not play field position or effective clock management. Puts the D on the field more than it should be. KC should think ball control to keep its defense off the field.  Chiefs D is simply average at best.

There is a reason EB does not get a job. Maybe he is simply not intelligent. He clearly is not football smart.

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Where was Moore today? 

15 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

And back to Reid. I think the main reason why many ( including myself) continue to beat this drum is that in a situation where you are up 27 with the ball, he HAS to get on the headset and say " hey...its time to let Pacheco eat." But he doesn't. He never has. And he's never going to. Reids flaws have been his flaws for nearly 25 yrs as a HC. 

This is an excellent post. I have been saying this since Tampa laughed at us for being dumb. Then they do it again against cincy last year. 
the cluelessness is mind bending. 
again, great post, you took all my post and melted them together.

everting you say is spot on. 

6 minutes ago, Calichief said:

This is an excellent post. I have been saying this since Tampa laughed at us for being dumb. Then they do it again against cincy last year. 
the cluelessness is mind bending. 
again, great post, you took all my post and melted them together.

everting you say is spot on. 

Dude we were gashing Cincinnati on the ground in the AFCCG. Gashing them. What coach would go away from that?

Xen can come in here and talk about how running the ball is overrated and that's fine. The problem is that we don't have the THREAT of running. Defenses do not have to respect the fact that we might run. They just don't. They can blitz at will or they can drop everyone in coverage, clogging up all the passing lanes and having help over the top. 

Why would any defense stack the box against us? What fucking reason do we give them? When do we make them pay for crowding the LOS? We don't. And they KNOW that we won't. 

22 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Dude we were gashing Cincinnati on the ground in the AFCCG. Gashing them. What coach would go away from that?

Xen can come in here and talk about how running the ball is overrated and that's fine. The problem is that we don't have the THREAT of running. Defenses do not have to respect the fact that we might run. They just don't. They can blitz at will or they can drop everyone in coverage, clogging up all the passing lanes and having help over the top. 

Why would any defense stack the box against us? What fucking reason do we give them? When do we make them pay for crowding the LOS? We don't. And they KNOW that we won't. 

Exactly.