Chiefs Broncos Gameday Thread

46 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Dude we were gashing Cincinnati on the ground in the AFCCG. Gashing them. What coach would go away from that?

Xen can come in here and talk about how running the ball is overrated and that's fine. The problem is that we don't have the THREAT of running. Defenses do not have to respect the fact that we might run. They just don't. They can blitz at will or they can drop everyone in coverage, clogging up all the passing lanes and having help over the top. 

Why would any defense stack the box against us? What fucking reason do we give them? When do we make them pay for crowding the LOS? We don't. And they KNOW that we won't. 

Yep.

“We were trying to fix it — and keep the pedal down,” said head coach Andy Reid of the team’s third-quarter approach. “In these games, you’ve got to stay on top of It, so that’s what we were doing.”

The key here is that the Chiefs were trying to fix their past mistakes — but in the third quarter, the momentum of the game had swung completely to the Broncos. Kansas City’s lead was down to six points after Denver scored on the opening drive of the second half.

It felt like the Chiefs had jumped out to a big lead — and then got bored, thinking they could coast to an easy victory. But that’s not how the NFL works. If you’re not locked in 100% for all four quarters, even the league’s worst teams will pounce on you.

The Chiefs tried to turn it back on in the second half — but by that point, it was already too late. They were stuck in a dogfight with an inferior team. Six of the Chiefs’ final eight drives resulted in either a punt or an interception.

Ultimately, the responsibility rests with the coaching staff. The coaches called a subpar game, refusing to move away from their ingrained tendencies. I hope the Chiefs learn their lesson. You can’t just turn it on whenever you want — not even against the Broncos.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/12/12/23504947/chiefs-broncos-5-things-we-learned-week-14

18 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yep.

“We were trying to fix it — and keep the pedal down,” said head coach Andy Reid of the team’s third-quarter approach. “In these games, you’ve got to stay on top of It, so that’s what we were doing.”

The key here is that the Chiefs were trying to fix their past mistakes — but in the third quarter, the momentum of the game had swung completely to the Broncos. Kansas City’s lead was down to six points after Denver scored on the opening drive of the second half.

It felt like the Chiefs had jumped out to a big lead — and then got bored, thinking they could coast to an easy victory. But that’s not how the NFL works. If you’re not locked in 100% for all four quarters, even the league’s worst teams will pounce on you.

The Chiefs tried to turn it back on in the second half — but by that point, it was already too late. They were stuck in a dogfight with an inferior team. Six of the Chiefs’ final eight drives resulted in either a punt or an interception.

Ultimately, the responsibility rests with the coaching staff. The coaches called a subpar game, refusing to move away from their ingrained tendencies. I hope the Chiefs learn their lesson. You can’t just turn it on whenever you want — not even against the Broncos.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/12/12/23504947/chiefs-broncos-5-things-we-learned-week-14

Andy Reid has been a head coach for 25 years plus. To say "I hope the Chiefs (i.e.coaching staff) learn their lesson" is ludicrous. In all those years has Andy ever had a big lead that almost got away? Answer: Yes! So what lessons were learned from those games leading up to this one? 

To me the coaches called the game poorly and could again in the future.  I also think Mahomes is a victim of the hype built around his career. He believes he can make any throw any time. Even bad ones that shouldn't have been thrown. Yesterday's performance put a huge dent in his MVP run.

Again. Andy will not change. We can discuss running the football every week. Nothing is going to change. My nephew is an Eagles fan and told me this from the get go. I agree with OT that the Mahomes INTs were the problem yesterday. He made terrible decisions. But there is a reason we won the SB and that's Mahomes. Had we not drafted him, we would be calling for Andy's head. 

2 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Again. Andy will not change. We can discuss running the football every week. Nothing is going to change. My nephew is an Eagles fan and told me this from the get go. I agree with OT that the Mahomes INTs were the problem yesterday. He made terrible decisions. But there is a reason we won the SB and that's Mahomes. Had we not drafted him, we would be calling for Andy's head. 

I have stated many times. That SB win was a bit lucky. No offense until the WASP play. Even that was a bit lucky. The ball was under thrown. If Gimmy G had hit a wide open Sanders , Reid would still be that guy that cant win the big one. Reid was out coached in the SB. Mahomes and Hill bailed him out.

Does yesterdays game put in a dent in his MVP run?  Sure.  He also still threw for 350 and 3 TDs vs one of the best secondaries and defenses in the L.   Every qb has bad games even MVP ones.   Did anyone watch Tua last night?  His main competitor is Jalen Hurts.   Jalen might be the front runner but Mahomes can easily surpass him again with a couple big games.   I still think Mahomes is in the drivers seat or at least it is his to lose.  

Yesterday Mahomes had a couple dumb plays but the problem continues to be our D year after year.  I would love to see Mahomes with a defense just rated somewhere in the top half of all defenses.  Regardless of the ints the defenses job is to get off the field and they couldn't vs a "historically" bad offense.  For some reason we don't have a game plan for their only real offensive threat, which is becoming a re-occuring theme with Spags.   

The whole team needs to get their act together but I agree with AFCWEST in that our coaching staff is a bigger problem than we might want to admit.   If Mahomes has a career like Rodgers what will we look back and realize then was a huge problem and regret not fixing?  

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Does yesterdays game put in a dent in his MVP run?  Sure.  He also still threw for 350 and 3 TDs vs one of the best secondaries and defenses in the L.   Every qb has bad games even MVP ones.   Did anyone watch Tua last night?  His main competitor is Jalen Hurts.   Jalen might be the front runner but Mahomes can easily surpass him again with a couple big games.   I still think Mahomes is in the drivers seat or at least it is his to lose.  

Yesterday Mahomes had a couple dumb plays but the problem continues to be our D year after year.  I would love to see Mahomes with a defense just rated somewhere in the top half of all defenses.  Regardless of the ints the defenses job is to get off the field and they couldn't vs a "historically" bad offense.  For some reason we don't have a game plan for their only real offensive threat, which is becoming a re-occuring theme with Spags.   

The whole team needs to get their act together but I agree with AFCWEST in that our coaching staff is a bigger problem than we might want to admit.   If Mahomes has a career like Rodgers what will we look back and realize then was a huge problem and regret not fixing?  

Yea but DAMN look at who the Eagles have played. I mean really their toughest game was who? The Cowboys? They play a weak ass schedule. Give the Chiefs that schedule and what kind of stats does Mahomes have? Just sayin the winner of the Super Bowl comes out of the AFC.........

4 hours ago, azchief21 said:

The interceptions should have been a wake up call to actually go to the ground and let Mahomes calm down. Instead we called more pass plays with added pressure. No competitive QB will let go of the play easily and that means forcing some interceptions in there and it's up to the coach to help out.

I think we had a decent balance in the SB run. Granted all the critical moments came with the pass but there was a decent compliment of run plays whenever we were leading to take the pressure off. 

At the end of the day, we are 10-3 and should win the AFC West. 
there are many issues to solve with this team starting with running the ball. 
I don’t think Andy will change. I just don’t know why. Is he obsessed with not getting to third down? Not sure. The more u run, the more u will be in third down. 
We are one of the toughest teams to beat, however we also make it harder by not doing the simple things. This is where Reid really needs to focus the team on. 
up 27-0 with 5 min left in 1st half. 
running the ball in red zone, 3rd down and short. 
anyways onto Houston. They sure did play Dallas hard so chiefs better be ready. 

8 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Dude we were gashing Cincinnati on the ground in the AFCCG. Gashing them. What coach would go away from that?

Xen can come in here and talk about how running the ball is overrated and that's fine. The problem is that we don't have the THREAT of running. Defenses do not have to respect the fact that we might run. They just don't. They can blitz at will or they can drop everyone in coverage, clogging up all the passing lanes and having help over the top. 

Why would any defense stack the box against us? What fucking reason do we give them? When do we make them pay for crowding the LOS? We don't. And they KNOW that we won't. 

5 hours ago, arthur75 said:

Yea but DAMN look at who the Eagles have played. I mean really their toughest game was who? The Cowboys? They play a weak ass schedule. Give the Chiefs that schedule and what kind of stats does Mahomes have? Just sayin the winner of the Super Bowl comes out of the AFC.........

I think perception is that the Eagles are overrated and that a big reason is their schedule. But is it that much different than the Chiefs? Let's look...

Combined record of Chiefs opponents played so far 73-81-1.

Combined record of Eagles opponents played so far. 71-80-4. 

# of Chiefs wins against teams with a winning record (4). Two of those were the Chargers.

# of Eagles wins against teams with winning records (5). No duplicate teams.

Chiefs most impressive win? Niners at 9-4.

Eagles most impressive win? Cowboys at 10-3/Vikings at 10-3.

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

Based on history, looks like we'll be clinging to a lead in the final minutes of the Houston game. 

I wouldn’t put it past Houston to give us a game.  They have a good RB but that’s about it.  Their qb situation is a revolving door.  I want Allen.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

I think perception is that the Eagles are overrated and that a big reason is their schedule. But is it that much different than the Chiefs? Let's look...

Combined record of Chiefs opponents played so far 73-81-1.

Combined record of Eagles opponents played so far. 71-80-4. 

# of Chiefs wins against teams with a winning record (4). Two of those were the Chargers.

# of Eagles wins against teams with winning records (5). No duplicate teams.

Chiefs most impressive win? Niners at 9-4.

Eagles most impressive win? Cowboys at 10-3/Vikings at 10-3.

You can only beat the teams that are on your schedule.  The difference is that the chiefs have done it year after year.  That takes the perception away that the weak schedule is to blame.  The eagles have not earned that yet. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

You can only beat the teams that are on your schedule.  The difference is that the chiefs have done it year after year.  That takes the perception away that the weak schedule is to blame.  The eagles have not earned that yet. 

I don't agree with that line of reasoning but you are certainly entitled to express your opinion. Each year teams are different from the previous year. Whether a team is good or not based on schedule strength is fueled more by fans than anything and is not to be taken too seriously because, as you said, you can only play the teams on the schedule. 

2 hours ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

A #1 receiver, some D-line help and a real LT and we're back in business.

I'd settle for a stud at one of the last two and an upgrade at the other.  #1 WR is over rated.  The Chiefs are leading the  league in scoring without one.  Would be nice, but not as urgent of a need.  How about a safety that can tackle? 

51 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I don't agree with that line of reasoning but you are certainly entitled to express your opinion. Each year teams are different from the previous year. Whether a team is good or not based on schedule strength is fueled more by fans than anything and is not to be taken too seriously because, as you said, you can only play the teams on the schedule. 

Chiefs play a top schedule every year. The beginning of the year who would guess some teams regressed badly like Arizona, Rams, etc. We can only play what is given to us and that is a first place schedule. Eagles did not have that coming into the year.

We all saw the brutal schedule at the beginning.  The likes of Broncos being really bad and the fact the division loaded up to beat us but did not come to fruition is no one's fault.

Everyone that has nothing to lose is playing us like it is their sb. You see teams going for it in 4th and whatever much more against us and using plays that they don't usually use against us.

12 hours ago, arthur75 said:

Agreed, but what scares me about the Eagles are they have a very good dline and the best Oline in football.  Those two things we struggle with.  Also they have two really good wrs.  I do agree their schedule has been weak but they don't play down to competition like we do.  They put teams down.   Still would rather face them than Cincy or Buffalo.

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

I'd settle for a stud at one of the last two and an upgrade at the other.  #1 WR is over rated.  The Chiefs are leading the  league in scoring without one.  Would be nice, but not as urgent of a need.  How about a safety that can tackle? 

I think our young safeties will get better. Well, I hope. A #1 receiver is more of a luxury, for sure, but man it would help things out. Our current LT is getting Pat killed. That crazy toss TD to McKinnon only happened because OBJ was badly beaten and Pat had to run the other way. That has to stop. 

43 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

LT is getting Pat killed. That crazy toss TD to McKinnon only happened because OBJ was badly beaten and Pat had to run the other way. That has to stop. 

Ironically, that was the only pressure OBJ gave up in the game I believe. That having been said.....yeah we need serious upgrades at both tackle spots. Veach gambled on OBJ and lost. It happens. Glad he didn't take the Chiefs' offer and team is stuck with him long term. 

8 hours ago, dhitter said:

I'm not necessarily 

8 hours ago, dhitter said:

I'm not sure it's necessarily my opinion that the Eagles are overrated.  You said there's a perception that they are, and I believe the difference between the perception of the 2 teams is that the chiefs have proven it for quite a while.  Nobody is quite sure yet of Hurts is for real. Or Sirianni. People assume the chiefs are good in spite of a weak schedule.