Bieniemy's options

12 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Denver would be the only team that would make sense to me. Mainly because EB knows this division well. They need some creative magic to make Wilson effective. And he would have some good info on the Chiefs game planning and tendencies. 
Other than that, I don’t think he brings much to the table.

he maybe able to bring some underlings with him and give them promotions but that probably goes with a bunch of  OC & DCs

20 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Awards an additional 3rd pick to us. 

That's great because Denver don't have shit to give up... so they may very well give EB a look. He's familiar with the AFC West, and he's familiar with the KC playbook which I'm sure will be exploited. Fingers crossed.

8 minutes ago, mex said:

That's great because Denver don't have shit to give up... so they may very well give EB a look. He's familiar with the AFC West, and he's familiar with the KC playbook which I'm sure will be exploited. Fingers crossed.

Yikes, that defense with EB knowing the in’s and out’s of KC and Mahomes.   Is this a legit threat to happen?  Right now, CU is running the show when it comes to sports in Denver though.  Coach Prime has made the Broncos less relevant than the Buffs, for the time being.  Everyone is talking about the Buffs, sales are through the roof for merchandise and tickets.  Social medial is off the charts.  Bringing EB to Denver would only add to the hype going on in Boulder and would probably make the Broncos come to life.  

I just hope there’s a home for EB. I think his relationship with Pat is getting old. His contract is up after this year as well so chiefs need to make a decision. I vote to release him ( even if it means we don’t comp picks ). Promote Nagy to OC and then bring in kingsbury as QB coach. ( if available). Maybe an out to lunch concept. 

31 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

I just hope there’s a home for EB. I think his relationship with Pat is getting old. His contract is up after this year as well so chiefs need to make a decision. I vote to release him ( even if it means we don’t comp picks ). Promote Nagy to OC and then bring in kingsbury as QB coach. ( if available). Maybe an out to lunch concept. 

Nagy as OC.  Fangio as DC.  Another year with extra draft choices for Veach along with experience with this years'.  We can dream.  

47 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Kingsbury has been extended to 2027 and EB has been on one year contracts for a few years now 

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/report-kc-chiefs-oc-eric-bieniemy-is-more-popular-in-head-coaching-market-this-year?fbclid=IwAR3BFtgRuZND2jUcVtZbONYNjGsiaybSzazAYwcl1rKTfBk9MDKv64_Zcxs

Report: Eric Bieniemy Is ‘More Popular’ in Head Coaching Market This Year

Bieniemy's name is once again being tossed around this year for 2023 head coaching gigs.

In this story:

Kansas City Chiefs

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

The Kansas City Chiefs are no strangers to having offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy's name mentioned in conversations about open head coaching vacancies throughout the league, and that hype train is picking up steam once again.

In an article from Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano of ESPN, the two addressed some of the latest news and rumors from around the NFL and also analyzed the upcoming Week 17 slate of games. Graziano mentioned Bieniemy and the Chiefs in the "empty your notebooks" section of the article, reporting that the 53-year-old seems like a more popular name right now than he already has been in recent years. Here's what Graziano wrote: 

We weren't hearing his name much at this time last year, and he didn't go for a lot of interviews after the season. But I'd be very surprised if he didn't get at least an interview in Denver, and there are a lot of people I talk to about the coaching carousel who believe this could finally be the year Bienemy gets his shot.

I'm not sure what has changed since last year -- maybe the Chiefs' ability to maintain their high level of offensive performance without Tyreek Hill -- but for some reason he sounds like he's more popular on the circuit this time around.

Bieniemy, now in his fifth season as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator, has interviewed with 14 NFL teams for their open head coaching vacancies over the course of the league's four most recent hiring cycles. He has yet to land that elusive head coaching job despite Doug Pederson being hired by the Philadelphia Eagles after three seasons as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator and Matt Nagy landing with the Chicago Bears after just two years in the same role. After many believed this past offseason would be Bieniemy's time to shine, he ended up returning to Kansas City on another one-year contract for the 2022 campaign.

With Bieniemy and head coach Andy Reid working together to form one of the NFL's best offenses for multiple years in a row, the former has made it obvious that he has what it takes to help lead a team to success. Reid and quarterback Patrick Mahomes have constantly backed Bieniemy as a top-tier candidate who's ready to take the next step, and it helps that the Chiefs' offense remains arguably the top unit in the NFL in the post-Tyreek Hill era.

Time will tell if this cycle will ultimately see Bieniemy become a head coach, but Graziano's report sheds a bit of updated light on how opposing teams may view him. With clubs such as the Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts and Carolina Panthers already having questionable long-term head coaching situations and more likely to come, there doesn't project to be a serious shortage of available opportunities. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Nagy as OC.  Fangio as DC.  Another year with extra draft choices for Veach along with experience with this years'.  We can dream.  

Is he not a 3-4 guy for defense? Would we want to swap to that and retool again for those we have now that don't work well in it?

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

kelce spitting the facts that anyone with a brain already knew

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure who was calling plays but I've never been accused of having a brain. EB is sneaky, he looks like he's calling plays talking into the headset w/ the play sheet up to his face. Based on this video, Jason Kelce also doesn't have a brain. 

14 hours ago, azchief21 said:

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure who was calling plays but I've never been accused of having a brain. EB is sneaky, he looks like he's calling plays talking into the headset w/ the play sheet up to his face. Based on this video, Jason Kelce also doesn't have a brain. 

Well I think reid gives eb the plays and then eb relays them to mahomes, im not 100% sure why they do it like this, but its always been reids model. 

i think there are times when the offense is stalled or when the chiefs are blowing someone out he lets EB call plays, but 95% of time i do believe its andy.

My assumption is that Reid creates the schemes, plans the scripted plays, and has a general direction of how adjustments should go.  EB could still be calling specific plays within Reid's framework.  How much discretion does Mahomes have when he comes up to the line and the D is in an unexpected formation?  The point being that's it's a cooperative effort with Reid having overall control. 

On 12/28/2022 at 1:00 PM, oldtimer said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/report-kc-chiefs-oc-eric-bieniemy-is-more-popular-in-head-coaching-market-this-year?fbclid=IwAR3BFtgRuZND2jUcVtZbONYNjGsiaybSzazAYwcl1rKTfBk9MDKv64_Zcxs

Report: Eric Bieniemy Is ‘More Popular’ in Head Coaching Market This Year

Bieniemy's name is once again being tossed around this year for 2023 head coaching gigs.

In this story:

Kansas City Chiefs

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

The Kansas City Chiefs are no strangers to having offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy's name mentioned in conversations about open head coaching vacancies throughout the league, and that hype train is picking up steam once again.

In an article from Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano of ESPN, the two addressed some of the latest news and rumors from around the NFL and also analyzed the upcoming Week 17 slate of games. Graziano mentioned Bieniemy and the Chiefs in the "empty your notebooks" section of the article, reporting that the 53-year-old seems like a more popular name right now than he already has been in recent years. Here's what Graziano wrote: 

We weren't hearing his name much at this time last year, and he didn't go for a lot of interviews after the season. But I'd be very surprised if he didn't get at least an interview in Denver, and there are a lot of people I talk to about the coaching carousel who believe this could finally be the year Bienemy gets his shot.

I'm not sure what has changed since last year -- maybe the Chiefs' ability to maintain their high level of offensive performance without Tyreek Hill -- but for some reason he sounds like he's more popular on the circuit this time around.

Bieniemy, now in his fifth season as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator, has interviewed with 14 NFL teams for their open head coaching vacancies over the course of the league's four most recent hiring cycles. He has yet to land that elusive head coaching job despite Doug Pederson being hired by the Philadelphia Eagles after three seasons as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator and Matt Nagy landing with the Chicago Bears after just two years in the same role. After many believed this past offseason would be Bieniemy's time to shine, he ended up returning to Kansas City on another one-year contract for the 2022 campaign.

With Bieniemy and head coach Andy Reid working together to form one of the NFL's best offenses for multiple years in a row, the former has made it obvious that he has what it takes to help lead a team to success. Reid and quarterback Patrick Mahomes have constantly backed Bieniemy as a top-tier candidate who's ready to take the next step, and it helps that the Chiefs' offense remains arguably the top unit in the NFL in the post-Tyreek Hill era.

Time will tell if this cycle will ultimately see Bieniemy become a head coach, but Graziano's report sheds a bit of updated light on how opposing teams may view him. With clubs such as the Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts and Carolina Panthers already having questionable long-term head coaching situations and more likely to come, there doesn't project to be a serious shortage of available opportunities. 

Holy shit, he’s 53?   I can still remember his playing days.  Hell, I can remember him playing at CU.  

On 12/29/2022 at 4:51 PM, moons314 said:

Holy shit, he’s 53?   I can still remember his playing days.  Hell, I can remember him playing at CU.  

Yeah, I remember him as well, and Chris Berman mentioning him on ESPN highlights.