A couple things....

Just now, xen said:

8 more 20+ yard passes than last year with 2 games left.  Most deep passing metrics are on par with where we were 2 years ago.

I do agree with mex that 20 yards is not necessarily a home run.  Our longest pass of the year has been 57 yards.  Tyreek had 75 yards almost every year. 

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I do agree with mex that 20 yards is not necessarily a home run.  Our longest pass of the year has been 57 yards.  Tyreek had 75 yards almost every year. 

My original point was it doesn’t seem like we’ve had a lot of opportunities for a PI call to get us all the way downfield... let alone a 1st and goal at the 2. But I’m not a stat guy... just feels like we haven't had many over 20 this year. Maybe we’re due for a few... hopefully playoff time.

39 minutes ago, mex said:

Thanks. Don’t know why... but it sure doesn’t seem like it.

It's cause the last 4 blur together.  Teams sold out last year to stop the deep ball (e.g. Reek) and we didn't have the horses to make em pay.  Though it did set the stage for Pat to become a more patient QB so eas not all bad.  Hell we're in a rebuilding year right now and look at where we're at.  Come to think of it, some of you fuckers need to calm your tits (present company excluded, of course), and look at where we're at in a rebuilding year.

42 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Well yeah cause 'fuck it Reek down there somewhere' works.  But most Reekless metrics rely on 20+ yards as a deep pass.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Well yeah cause 'fuck it Reek down there somewhere' works.  But most Reekless metrics rely on 20+ yards as a deep pass.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing.  But it does feel like less home run balls because a 9 yard pass to juju that he breaks 2 tackles on doesn't have the same feel 

The DPI thing is tough for me.  If they make it up to 15 yds and auto 1st down we are gonna see secondaries just murdering people on long passes that think they aren’t gonna defend the pass properly, knowing the risk of a 40+ yd bomb vs a 15 yd penalty is in their favor.  It will be abused.

As far as the turnover end zone celebrations go…. It’s the entire defense celebrating every single little tiny thing that is getting to me.  Run for 3 yds…celebrating.  Pass overthrown by 10 yds. Secondary acting like they did something amazing.  Offense gets a first down but the hit was hard…. Celebrating.  Defense stops the offense 1yd short of the first down marker on 3rd down, even the ball is at the other teams 40 and they’ll go for it on 4th anyway…. Defense celebrates.  1st and goal from the one and the defense gets the stop with 3 more downs to go…. Celebrate.  Pick 6 when they are down 27 pts…. Celebrate…. It’s out of control and needs to be fixed.  Starting with the end zone turn over team pose 

You can have a team at 4th and 20 from their own 40 yard line. The QB flings it down to the goal line the ref makes some POS DPI call (happens a lot)And now it's 1st and goal from the one. That's not just a penalty, it's game changing. 15 yards and a 1st down is sufficient. Gives them new life and a fair chance to get a TD. Not have a TD given to them. Why aren't CBs mauling WRs in college? And let's flip it, a CB is set up to easily get a pick 6 and the WR mauls him. Should we put it at the 1? 

12 hours ago, azchief21 said:

You can have a team at 4th and 20 from their own 40 yard line. The QB flings it down to the goal line the ref makes some POS DPI call (happens a lot)And now it's 1st and goal from the one. That's not just a penalty, it's game changing. 15 yards and a 1st down is sufficient. Gives them new life and a fair chance to get a TD. Not have a TD given to them. Why aren't CBs mauling WRs in college? And let's flip it, a CB is set up to easily get a pick 6 and the WR mauls him. Should we put it at the 1? 

That's the issue, really. The League wants offense. They want scoring. 

The days of great defense and 13-3 games are over. Ratings soar when it finishes 45-36, because nobody is really ever out of it until the clock hits zero. 

They make subtle, periodic changes to the rules to discourage defense which obviously promotes scoring.

It's all about parity... parity = $$$

21 hours ago, mex said:

That's the issue, really. The League wants offense. They want scoring. 

The days of great defense and 13-3 games are over. Ratings soar when it finishes 45-36, because nobody is really ever out of it until the clock hits zero. 

They make subtle, periodic changes to the rules to discourage defense which obviously promotes scoring.

It's all about parity... parity = $$$

Parity comes from the cap not offense.  That started in 94.  The league wants offense cause it attracts casual viewers.  It's much easier to understand a big pass play than the intricacies of cover 3 or DL stunts.  TBH it's good for the overall game IMO, especially with CTE.  And before anyone (not you) gets butthurt, yes we know the players signed up to play and get paid money.