Raiders coach Josh McDaniels announced Derek Carr has been benched for the final two games of the season.

Coming off the heels of a back-breaking loss to the Steelers, McDaniels and company appear desperate for a spark as their season spirals the drain. The Raiders aren't technically out of the playoff hunt yet, but Carr's second-half meltdown in Week 16 put them at death's door. Even with a pair of wins, which will now have to come with Jarrett Stidham under center, the Raiders are extremely unlikely to make the playoffs. With Las Vegas looking to the 2023 season, the move has financial underpinnings. If Carr suffers an injury that carries into the start of the next league year, his $33 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed. Potentially looking to cut or trade him after this year, GM Dave Ziegler isn't taking any chances with Carr's health and contract by extension. It looks like Carr has played his last game in a silver and black uniform.

Instead of Carr on Sunday, the San Francisco 49ers will face Jarrett Stidham under center as the Raiders evaluate the young talent they have on hand before making bigger decisions in the postseason. Stidham will also likely suit up to face K.C. in Week 18.

On Wednesday, the Raiders announced that two valuable defensive veterans would head to injured reserve to officially end their season. Pass rusher Chandler Jones was the big-ticket edge signed to make defenses respect someone other than Maxx Crosby. In addition, Denzel Perryman has been a steady tackler in the heart of the defense and led the team last year with 154 tackles in a Pro Bowl season.

Jones left Sunday’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the third quarter with an elbow injury. For Perryman, it’s a shoulder injury that’s lingered.

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

I was just getting ready to post this. Other than being a Raider I have nothing against the guy he seemed like an overall good guy. I hope he finds greener pastures, Miami maybe needing a Qb

1 hour ago, Boone said:

Devante Adams has got to be pissed. He took less $$ to play with his guy...and now Carr is getting shipped out (likely via cut). Does DA make a stink and get traded, too? 

Get your popcorn ready.

28m per = less money?  That was the highest per year contract for a receiver at the time.

I'll just put in the names if you want to read more have at it. #2 and #3 I see make the most sense

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/5-quarterbacks-could-replace-derek-144503972.html

Raiders Wire

5 quarterbacks who could replace Derek Carr in 2023

Tom Brady

Baker Mayfield 

Mac Jones

Aaron Rogers

Daniel Jones

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'll just put in the names if you want to read more have at it. #2 and #3 I see make the most sense

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/5-quarterbacks-could-replace-derek-144503972.html

Raiders Wire

Tom Brady

Baker Mayfield 

Mac Jones

Aaron Rogers

Daniel Jones

As a Chiefs fan, I'd be happy if they took any one of those QBs

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Raiders Wire

Tom Brady

Baker Mayfield 

Mac Jones

Aaron Rogers

Daniel Jones

Maybe the Donks would give them Wilson for a fair price.  

Well Carr is on record as saying he won't play for any team but the Raiders so...retirement?

As far as his replacement goes...if the Raiders lose the next two games (likely) then they will be picking in the top ten I think.They could draft their QBOTF which does not bode well given their recent draft history.

13 hours ago, dhitter said:

Well Carr is on record as saying he won't play for any team but the Raiders so...retirement?

As far as his replacement goes...if the Raiders lose the next two games (likely) then they will be picking in the top ten I think.They could draft their QBOTF which does not bode well given their recent draft history.

if so he's a fool

10 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

All the turmoil with raiders and broncos sure does make me appreciate what chiefs have. Stability and the best player in the league that we drafted. 

Only took us 50 fuckin' years to get there...

On 12/29/2022 at 11:58 AM, xen said:

28m per = less money?  That was the highest per year contract for a receiver at the time.

On 12/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, oldtimer said:

facts have no place in this thread

On 12/29/2022 at 12:43 PM, jetlord said:

Yep, have to go to the locker room to avoid supposition, feelings, and opinion.  

I recall an interview where Adams said he took less to play with the Raiders because he wanted to be with Carr.  Regardless of him setting the new high bar, he was claiming that it could have been higher if he had agreed to terms with the Packers.

Oh wait...simple Google search says:
https://brobible.com/sports/article/davante-adams-derek-carr-packers-money/