Go Bengals

3 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

I remember that Detroit lineman who collapsed and died on his way to the huddle. 1971, I think. 

I don't remember the year,  maybe early 70's, the Chiefs were playing the Pittsburgh Steelers at 3 Rivers stadium,  A line backer went for the tackle leading with his head, hit the ball carrier in the thigh area and went down like a log.  Carried him off the field on a stretcher completely immobilized.   Spent many months in the hospital and rehab, broken neck.

Just now, reesebobby said:

I just read that he is intubated and in critical condition 

That could mean a lot of things, including a brain stem injury that interferes with autonomic processes.  I've seen it happen with a head injury before and play out similarly. 

5 minutes ago, mex said:

Word has it that it was cardiac arrest... it was CPR and AED (defibrillator) was employed. 

Sometimes, blunt chest trauma can lead to cardiac arrest. I remember reading about pitchers getting line drive comebackers to the chest and needing CPR. Used to worry about this with one of my sons when he pitched in HS and college. Kind of reminds me of this. They were using AED which means his heart stopped.

When I saw the medical/training staff first go out, it had almost looked like they were beginning CPR very fast. Absent an undiagnosed thing, I’d guess the tackle hit his chest at the wrong time and intensity as the heart electrical activity took place and stopped his heart. Been speechless and in prayer. Totally unprecedented for most. They will just declare this a tie / no contest game.

1 hour ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

I remember that Detroit lineman who collapsed and died on his way to the huddle. 1971, I think. 

That game had about a minute left... different situation altogether. 

4 minutes ago, xen said:

Hopefully he’s not implying the league (Goodell) would have forced them to play. Lots of people using this angle to demonize the league and victimize the players. Nobody knows at this point. 

This is what twitterverse doctors are blaming.  Take it for what it is worth, but it sounds accurate: 

What Is Commotio Cordis?

Angela-Bell-500x500-Bio.png?w=105&h=105
Medically reviewed by Angela M. Bell, MD, FACP By James Roland  Updated on August 27, 2021

Commotio cordis occurs when a person is hit in the chest and that impact triggers a dramatic change in the rhythm of their heart. 

The blow could come from an object, such as a baseball or hockey puck, and may not seem especially serious in the moment. However, commotio cordis is often fatal.

Commotio cordis is an uncommon injury, and it most commonly affects male teen athletes. Without immediate treatment, this condition can cause unexpected cardiac death.

Immediate first aid treatment with CPR and defibrillation with an automated external defibrillator (AED) may be able to restore the heart’s healthy rhythm and save a life.

https://www.healthline.com/health/commotio-cordis

10 minutes ago, SEMO said:

This is what twitterverse doctors are blaming.  Take it for what it is worth, but it sounds accurate: 

What Is Commotio Cordis?

Angela-Bell-500x500-Bio.png?w=105&h=105
Medically reviewed by Angela M. Bell, MD, FACP By James Roland  Updated on August 27, 2021

Commotio cordis occurs when a person is hit in the chest and that impact triggers a dramatic change in the rhythm of their heart. 

The blow could come from an object, such as a baseball or hockey puck, and may not seem especially serious in the moment. However, commotio cordis is often fatal.

Commotio cordis is an uncommon injury, and it most commonly affects male teen athletes. Without immediate treatment, this condition can cause unexpected cardiac death.

Immediate first aid treatment with CPR and defibrillation with an automated external defibrillator (AED) may be able to restore the heart’s healthy rhythm and save a life.

https://www.healthline.com/health/commotio-cordis

It’s also what mex suggested over an hour ago.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

CPR was for 9 minutes. Scary. 

Wasn't able to watch.  Saw it was postponed and thought that was wierd for a weather postponement this time of the year.  Then went and watched the play wow what  scary moment.  Hope the kid is all right.  9 minutes for CPR doesn't sound great though.