Go Bengals

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I was waiting to see who the first person was to bring this up.. figured it'd be Stubby or moons.  because I know where it'll head

Not sure why you would even question me at this point, I'm batting like .999997. 

That said, I've been speared in the chest a few times during games and MY heart-rate jumped pretty quickly thereafter, I can easily see a scenario where the right hit, by a strong enough person, on the right spot, at the wrong time, could cause a serous cardiac event, regardless of any other underlying medical issue.

I really hope he pulls through, what a horrible situation for all involved.

8 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

My understanding is that a blow to your Chest can cause Ventricular Fibralation , which is basically what you see in sudden death (heart attack) .  Once they realized, he had no pulse, they started CPR, and put an  AED on him which will automatically give him electric shocks to start his heart.  They also probably intubated him immediatly , which is why they are saying he is not breathing on him own.  More than likely they will keep him in an induced coma until they are sure extubating him will not put him in jeopardy.  Lets just hope that he was not hypoxic (oxygen starved) long enough to cause brain injury as they did perform CPR on him for about 9 minutes.  According to wikipedia,  the survival rate of this type of injury is about 58%, but I believe it to be much higher in this instance as advanced life support was available right away. 

Doc that was my worry (hypoxia of the brain).   Praying he makes a full recovery!  

This is so rare and to my knowledge, I believe cardiac arrest isn’t exclusive to nfl though.  In 2014 and 2020 there were cardiac arrests in the nhl in games but I don’t seem to remember as much media attention.  I hope the nfl isn’t making money off this horrible situation.

5 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

This is so rare and to my knowledge, I believe cardiac arrest isn’t exclusive to nfl though.  In 2014 and 2020 there were cardiac arrests in the nhl in games but I don’t seem to remember as much media attention.  I hope the nfl isn’t making money off this horrible situation.

Ad Nascar to that list. Scary stuff happens.

Just now, AFCWEST said:

Ad Nascar to that list. 

It’s terrible and I don’t want to be insensitive.  I don’t want to downplay it by any means.  However, because it’s the nfl and it was being watched by many people it gets to me.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

The NFL has announced Buffalo and Cincinnati's postponed Week 17 game will not be resumed this week. 

In a statement, the league said it has "made no decision regarding the possible resumption of the game at a later date." Perhaps the league is reserving the right to continue to contest if there is AFC seeding implications following Cincinnati's Week 18 game against the Ravens and Buffalo's date with the Patriots, but it is certainly seeming like this game will eventually be declared a no contest. That would mean all Week 17 fantasy results are final. The league has no good choices as the football world waits for more news on Damar Hamlin's status. Our thoughts remain with Hamlin, his family and teammates. 

how does it not have seeding implications regardless of the results next week?

yup they are in a bind. . Huge game, huge implications. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Tag's office.

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

how does it not have seeding implications regardless of the results next week?

yup they are in a bind. . Huge game, huge implications. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Tag's office.

Agree. I am surprised the NFL did not have a policy and plan to deal with a situation like this. Its inevitable and will happen again. Its a dangerous sport. Instead they had to scramble and probably made a decision based on twitter feeds as much as anything else. 

I also would love to know what NFL people really thought. Not the response they make in fear of ridicule. What did the players really want to do?  My guess. Regroup and play the game. Play for your fallen team mate. We will never know because they did not have a plan in place. Im sure they will come up with one in the off season.

Future: Where do you draw the line on injury to cancel the game. Yes that was ugly. There have been guys leaving in extremely bad shape before. Does this set a precedent?

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

So your NFL Donkey World is now waiting for Mahomes, as you stated before, to likely  get injured with his style of play and a the Refs Conspiracies. Sad for you. 

I'm not hoping Mahomes gets injured, only absolute pussies wish injury on other people.

The phantom offensive interference call saved the Chiefs asses in that game, even Stevie Wonder was screaming at his TV when that flag was thrown.

Just now, BroncoStud said:

I'm not hoping Mahomes gets injured, only absolute pussies wish injury on other people.

The phantom offensive interference call saved the Chiefs asses in that game, even Stevie Wonder was screaming at his TV when that flag was thrown.

Brilliant. Yes one play changes the entire game. Losers always have that perspective. one play, a bad call and NFL Conspiracy. I guess this is what DONKEY FANS HAVE TO HANG ONTO. Enjoy it. 

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Agree. I am surprised the NFL did not have a policy and plan to deal with a situation like this. Its inevitable and will happen again. Its a dangerous sport. Instead they had to scramble and probably made a decision based on twitter feeds as much as anything else. 

I also would love to know what NFL people really thought. Not the response they make in fear of ridicule. What did the players really want to do?  My guess. Regroup and play the game. Play for your fallen team mate. We will never know because they did not have a plan in place. Im sure they will come up with one in the off season.

Future: Where do you draw the line on injury to cancel the game. Yes that was ugly. There have been guys leaving in extremely bad shape before. Does this set a precedent?

100% agree

I would agree that  there was probably some sort of wait n see to see what the Twitterverse said with PR people scrambling to figure out what to do but I dont agree with the thought that the players wanted to play on. They where too emotional and overwhelmed with what they had seen after all it's not war it's a game. I could of very easily seen the players just refuse to play and I almost think that is what happened.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

100% agree

I would agree that  there was probably some sort of wait n see to see what the Twitterverse said with PR people scrambling to figure out what to do but I dont agree with the thought that the players wanted to play on. They where too emotional and overwhelmed with what they had seen after all it's not war it's a game. I could of very easily seen the players just refuse to play and I almost think that is what happened.

Good points. We will never know. A policy needs to be established.

22 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I was definitely in the camp of play for your fallen teammate.  That said, where this differs from other “injuries” in the sense that players stood and watched nearly ten minutes of cpr.  There’s no real right call here, but I really hope there’s not an overreaction by the nfl with rule changes and such.  This will never happen again in our lifetimes, an injury of this type.  This was a freak thing. 

Just now, moons314 said:

I was definitely in the camp of play for your fallen teammate.  That said, where this differs from other “injuries” in the sense that players stood and watched nearly ten minutes of cpr.  There’s no real right call here, but I really hope there’s not an overreaction by the nfl with rule changes and such.  This will never happen again in our lifetimes, an injury of this type.  This was a freak thing. 

However, by 3:30 p.m. Oct. 24, 1971, the game’s outcome seemed meaningless. The tragedy that occurred with a minute left to play would forever serve as a glaring reminder of life’s fragility.

It is believed Hughes is the only player from the who died while competing in a game.

Just now, AFCWEST said:

Honest Question? If you were attending the game would you expect a refund? Lot of money fir tickets, parking, food , potential plane tickets and hotel fees.

Honest answer, yes.  Nfl games aren’t cheap. Its a tragedy no doubt, but buying a ticket is a contract, and the nfl didn’t fulfill its part of the contract.  Same as I believe advertisers should be compensated by espn for lost exposure, and espn should be compensated by the league for the lost ad revenue.   

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

100% agree

This matches my sentiment exactly.  There was no way this game was going to be played after Hamlin lay on the ground getting lifesaving (hopefully) CPR for 9-minutes.  No human being should be asked to go out and compete, with the expectations they would be able to focus properly.  There's not a single other profession where a co-worker witnesses a violent, tragic occurrence that may cost the life of a beloved coworker would be asked to just go back to work, so why would we expect if of an NFL team.  The emotions I saw on the sideline - from both teams - was of uncontrollable pain and sadness.  Go home, pray for your friend/teammate/brother and get your head about you.  Play the game, don't play the game - I'm not sure what else really matters to the Bills at this point.  

Just praying for Hamlin to survive.  

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Honest Question? If you were attending the game would you expect a refund? Lot of money fir tickets, parking, food , potential plane tickets and hotel fees.

I would expect for my ticket to be good at the next game ...if played. I'd assume refunds for the tickets would be an easy get.. the rest aint no way. It's more like a concert ticket than an Airline Ticket

1 minute ago, TomahawkChop said:

This matches my sentiment exactly.  There was no way this game was going to be played after Hamlin lay on the ground getting lifesaving (hopefully) CPR for 9-minutes.  No human being should be asked to go out and compete, with the expectations they would be able to focus properly.  There's not a single other profession where a co-worker witnesses a violent, tragic occurrence that may cost the life of a beloved coworker would be asked to just go back to work, so why would we expect if of an NFL team.  The emotions I saw on the sideline - from both teams - was of uncontrollable pain and sadness.  Go home, pray for your friend/teammate/brother and get your head about you.  Play the game, don't play the game - I'm not sure what else really matters to the Bills at this point.  

Just praying for Hamlin to survive.  

Military,Firemen, Police?.. 

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Military,Firemen, Police?.. 

Well, yeah - but to some extent that's their job description.  Medical personnel, too.  Maybe I overstated the "no other profession" part, but you get my drift.  This is a game.  A game.  Sure, lot's of dollars surrounding it on all sides, but a game nonethless.

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I would expect for my ticket to be good at the next game ...if played. I'd assume refunds for the tickets would be an easy get.. the rest aint no way. It's more like a concert ticket than an Airline Ticket

How are either a concert or an nfl game any different than an airline ticket?   I’m all 3 scenarios, you purchase a product. If said product isn’t delivered, full refunds should include tickets and parking. I’m not being combative, I’m genuinely curious how you differentiate one from the other.