Looking ahead

Just thinking about it financial situation coming up here soon.  

will Clark be released? he seems to be a guy the staff like having around. He does bring good veteran leadership. But his production does not match his pay. 

if Clark is brought back, we could be a bit in a bind with Gay and Sneed looking to get paid. And Sneed will be pretty expensive too. 

what about OBJ. If he is signed I could see the same contract that was offered last off-season. It sure would be difficult to replace both tackles in one offseason. And it has to be hard to trust Niang to man one of those spots. With his injury history. 

my hope would be that Kinnard makes enough improvement and shows he can be a good to great guard in this league. Tying up huge money into a LT and LG might not be the best idea especially with Humphrey also coming up in a couple years and will get a big contract. 

so what if we look at trading Thuney for a later first rounder or second rounder this year. This would help a lot with a couple holes we have DE, DT, WR. Getting those spots filled with 1st out second rounder could do a lot of good. 

LT- OBJ

LG- Kinnard

C - Humphrey

RG- Smith

RT- Niang/FA/Draft

2 minutes ago, Palangi said:

will Clark be released? he seems to be a guy the staff like having around. He does bring good veteran leadership. But his production does not match his pay. 

if Clark is brought back, we could be a bit in a bind with Gay and Sneed looking to get paid. And Sneed will be pretty expensive too. 

what about OBJ. If he is signed I could see the same contract that was offered last off-season. It sure would be difficult to replace both tackles in one offseason. And it has to be hard to trust Niang to man one of those spots. With his injury history. 

my hope would be that Kinnard makes enough improvement and shows he can be a good to great guard in this league. Tying up huge money into a LT and LG might not be the best idea especially with Humphrey also coming up in a couple years and will get a big contract. 

so what if we look at trading Thuney for a later first rounder or second rounder this year. This would help a lot with a couple holes we have DE, DT, WR. Getting those spots filled with 1st out second rounder could do a lot of good. 

LT- OBJ

LG- Kinnard

C - Humphrey

RG- Smith

RT- Niang/FA/Draft

Good questions bro. 

Who knows what they decide to do, but if I had to bet money I'm sure Clark is gone. His salary/cap hit does not/has not come close to his performance.

However, your Oline projection doesn't look too bad. I'm not happy with OBJ, but he has been playing a little better over the last 3-4 weeks. I just don't trust the guy once he gets his money...

12 minutes ago, artsy said:

Good questions bro. 

Who knows what they decide to do, but if I had to bet money I'm sure Clark is gone. His salary/cap hit does not/has not come close to his performance.

However, your Oline projection doesn't look too bad. I'm not happy with OBJ, but he has been playing a little better over the last 3-4 weeks. I just don't trust the guy once he gets his money...

Put his ass to RT and go after another LT.

16 minutes ago, artsy said:

Good questions bro. 

I agree with both. I just feel the coaches like Clark and might try to keep him around. watching him play while Karlaftis and Dunlap rotate says a lot. Maybe they are showcasing him for a trade?😉

i think OBJ has looked better too but also do not trust him once he gets paid. 

41 minutes ago, Palangi said:

LT- OBJ

LG- Kinnard

C - Humphrey

RG- Smith

RT- Niang/FA/Draft

@20m dead cap if you trade Thuney this offseason.

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

I agree with both. I just feel the coaches like Clark and might try to keep him around. watching him play while Karlaftis and Dunlap rotate says a lot. Maybe they are showcasing him for a trade?😉

i think OBJ has looked better too but also do not trust him once he gets paid. 

Clark is a "dead man walking". He will be gone..ala Anthony Hitchens.

They will use that loot to lock up JuJu and/or sign another FA DE. 

We are right in the middle of our "window".  That puts us in win now mode and I don't see us getting rid of guys like Thuney.  And also I might be out of touch, but I don't think you get a 1st rounder or 2nd rounder for a 31 year old guard.  We've seen what happens when the line is shit and I can't see us getting rid of one of the best LGs in the game to save a few million. 

Clark is probably gone, but he's one of our few options at the edge and is playing better than the kangaroo court thinks.  I just don't think a team in our situation gives up LT, LG and RT along with EDGE with the hopes of fixing that with an additional draft pick.  

1 hour ago, xen said:

@20m dead cap if you trade Thuney this offseason.

Agree, we aren't trading Thuney. He is too valuable and he provides a great stop gap at LT in a pinch.   

To address the OP.

Frank is gone.  I think the coaching staff would like to have him back but no way they can rationalize that contract.  It is time.

While many people won't like the idea, I think OBJ is the best options for the Chiefs.  In light of needing a good DE, our draft position and a lack of pass rushing options in FA we can't get a starting caliber LT and a day one starting DE in this draft.   I think the Chiefs will offer a similar contract that they offered last offseason and I think he will take it this offseason or he will get tagged again.

Sneed should get an extension this offseason and I think they will do Gay the following.

CJ should get an extension as well.

I also think they bring Juju back.  I don't think he will break the bank but he won't be cheap.  He wants to be here and he compliments this team really well.   

I think they let Thornhill, Hardman, and Nnadi walk.  

Saunders and Wharton are two guys they will have to make a decision on as well.

Veach has his work cut out though.  FA is a down year and what decent players are available don't fit our main needs.   Our draft position might make it challenging to fill those holes with day one starters so it will be interesting to see how Veach attacks this offseason.   Just glancing at FA the top tier DEF players seem to be S and LB.  Have a hard time believing we would resign Sneed, and then dish out another 12-15 for a guy like Bates or CGJ after paying Reid 10 million per, but who knows.  DaRon Payne might be a nice addition to pair with Jones on the interior.  What do y'all think?   Front load our guys contracts and try again in 2024 or go fishing in a small pond?  

37 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Agree, we aren't trading Thuney. He is too valuable and he provides a great stop gap at LT in a pinch.   

To address the OP.

Frank is gone.  I think the coaching staff would like to have him back but no way they can rationalize that contract.  It is time.

While many people won't like the idea, I think OBJ is the best options for the Chiefs.  In light of needing a good DE, our draft position and a lack of pass rushing options in FA we can't get a starting caliber LT and a day one starting DE in this draft.   I think the Chiefs will offer a similar contract that they offered last offseason and I think he will take it this offseason or he will get tagged again.

Sneed should get an extension this offseason and I think they will do Gay the following.

CJ should get an extension as well.

I also think they bring Juju back.  I don't think he will break the bank but he won't be cheap.  He wants to be here and he compliments this team really well.   

I think they let Thornhill, Hardman, and Nnadi walk.  

Saunders and Wharton are two guys they will have to make a decision on as well.

Veach has his work cut out though.  FA is a down year and what decent players are available don't fit our main needs.   Our draft position might make it challenging to fill those holes with day one starters so it will be interesting to see how Veach attacks this offseason.   Just glancing at FA the top tier DEF players seem to be S and LB.  Have a hard time believing we would resign Sneed, and then dish out another 12-15 for a guy like Bates or CGJ after paying Reid 10 million per, but who knows.  DaRon Payne might be a nice addition to pair with Jones on the interior.  What do y'all think?   Front load our guys contracts and try again in 2024 or go fishing in a small pond?  

Clark is all about himself and he takes too many games off with mysterious stomach ailments so he is not reliable. 

Someone else said resign OBJ and move him to RT, not sure that is a good idea because i do not want someone with an attitude protecting our QB and have an Ole moment because they are mad.

If you say FA will be a down year then i would keep Thornhill for a bit longer

3 hours ago, artsy said:

Good questions bro. 

Let’s not forget the teams we have played last 3-4 weeks. He should look better. 

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Clark is all about himself and he takes too many games off with mysterious stomach ailments so he is not reliable. 

Someone else said resign OBJ and move him to RT, not sure that is a good idea because i do not want someone with an attitude protecting our QB and have an Ole moment because they are mad.

What will the cost be though?   He has been making more plays as of late but he is mid tier.  Had high hopes for him this year. 

4 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

If he has that Ole moment, his career will be done. No one would trust him at all then.

I can completely understand halting play last night. But that is where this ends. The decision to not play out this game this week is a choice made by the Bills and Bengals. There are repricusions for that. You have an entire league to consider and not just two teams. If the call is not to complete the game, then they complete the season a game short. Both teams are in. Bengals can still win their division. Bills are at worst, the #2 seed. Chiefs win at Las Vegas, they earn the top seed. No solution is fair, but this is the best solution.

15 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

I can completely understand halting play last night. But that is where this ends. The decision to not play out this game this week is a choice made by the Bills and Bengals. There are repricusions for that. You have an entire league to consider and not just two teams. If the call is not to complete the game, then they complete the season a game short. Both teams are in. Bengals can still win their division. Bills are at worst, the #2 seed. Chiefs win at Las Vegas, they earn the top seed. No solution is fair, but this is the best solution.

was it?  link?

2 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

The decision not to play last night was made because someone may have died on the field of play. It’s ludicrous that the decision to call the game is even being debated. I know this is a chat board and all opinions have merit/value, but this seems like such a clear choice to me that I’m surprised there’s much debate about it.  

I know you’re not saying they should/should not have suspended the game, just that there are repercussions. That is undoubtedly true. 

4 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

The decision not to play last night was made because someone may have died on the field of play. It’s ludicrous that the decision to call the game is even being debated. I know this is a chat board and all opinions have merit/value, but this seems like such a clear choice to me that I’m surprised there’s much debate about it.  

I know you’re not saying they should/should not have suspended the game, just that there are repercussions. That is undoubtedly true. 

It was the right call and I'm glad they made it (or were forced to make it).  In a perfect world they could have made it up but that doesn't look possible.  Fortunately neither team needed a win to make the playoffs so they at least have a chance to play for a Superbowl. 

Neither Clark nor OBJ is worth keeping. Let them both leave and Clark's contract has been restructured to allow just that. If OBJ can bring in a decent pick that's a win IMO. We need to focus on actual performers that deserve to be paid. 

Guys like Thornhill are coin flips IMO, if they get a decent deal in FA I wouldn't want to match but don't mind keeping someone like him around for a modest contract.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Thornhill and Mecole will cost more than they are worth, IMO.

Clark is 31 million to keep and 9 mill to cut. No brainer, he is gone. 

I would be shocked if any of those guys are here next year. 

OBJ is the real tricky one...

I still think he will ask for TOP DOLLAR. Mainly, because he did last year and he sucked last year too! I really hope Veech doesn't cave with this guy. He sucks while playing for his financial livelihood, I couldn't imagine what his game would like if he got his money.

OBJ, Clark must be gone.

However, Thornhill and Mecole?? IDK. Throw them a fair offer and see if they bite.

2 hours ago, artsy said:

OBJ is the real tricky one...

I still think he will ask for TOP DOLLAR. Mainly, because he did last year and he sucked last year too! I really hope Veech doesn't cave with this guy. He sucks while playing for his financial livelihood, I couldn't imagine what his game would like if he got his money.

OBJ, Clark must be gone.

However, Thornhill and Mecole?? IDK. Throw them a fair offer and see if they bite.

That is tricky. I don't think he can be let go without a replacement. My gut says OBJ will be hear next year. There don't seem to be many good options. We will have to overpay I am afraid.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

That is tricky. I don't think he can be let go without a replacement. My gut says OBJ will be hear next year. There don't seem to be many good options. We will have to overpay I am afraid.

The second half of the season, including twice against that Denver defense, our OL has looked pretty solid. I wouldn't mind if they keep him. But they need to look for a LT in the draft, for damned sure.

50 minutes ago, mex said:

The second half of the season, including twice against that Denver defense, our OL has looked pretty solid. I wouldn't mind if they keep him. But they need to look for a LT in the draft, for damned sure.

Yep. DE or LT if we can move up far enough. With all the rookie starters we have, I think we can move up with a package of picks and be fine.