Looking ahead

13 hours ago, mex said:

The good news is, most teams are looking for the specialty talent like QB, Edge, CB, WR, DL... I bet Veach has the ability to get us in position for a quality LT.

The only question is, does he WANT a LT.

Or will he be slobbering over more offensive weapons... like a WR or RB.

With Mahomes running for his life so much any pick spent on WR or RB on the first two days would be a wasted pick from day one. I think Veach learned his lesson by now. The jury is still out for Moore but so far Veach is 0 for 3 with offensive skill players early in the draft. I think he should keep playing to his strengths which interestingly are the high priory needs for us at OL and defense.

On 1/5/2023 at 8:56 PM, moons314 said:

Lord I hope not.   I don’t want to see Brown with an enormous cap hit giving up speed rushes while we play a rookie on the right.  If we’re gonna draft a tackle to play the left side, let him play the left side from day 1. You want your young tackle playing next to Thuney bc eventually Thuney is gonna be a cap casualty. Brown wants too much to play the right and isn’t worth the franchise tag.  Just let him walk and move on. 

I dont think they are going to do that. He's been much better the second half of the year. I think that a 25 year old LT who's got multiple pro bowls on his resume is probably too valuable an asset to just let walk. 

I'm not saying he deserves to be a pro bowler. He doesn't this year. But I do think just letting him walk is probably bad business. 

At minimum you keep him around 1 more year on the tag while a rookie proves that he's able to handle the speed of the NFL game on the right side, then flip him to left next offseason.

But honestly if we make a deep run in the playoffs and he plays at a high level during those games I think we are gonna see him extended.

Again, it's not what I would do. I don't think he's a good fit at LT for a pass heavy offense like ours. But my suspicion is he's earned himself some more time by improving his play of late.