NFL Seeding Issue. May go by Winning Percentage

Another possibility the NFL could entertain is canceling the Bills-Bengals game altogether. Playoff seeding could then be determined by winning percentage, with Buffalo and Cincinnati having played one less game than the 30 other teams. Florio says the NFL was prepared to take that approach in 2020, when there was a risk of games being canceled due to the pandemic.

• The title was changed to NFL Seeding Issue. May go by Winning Percentage
6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Another possibility the NFL could entertain is canceling the Bills-Bengals game altogether. Playoff seeding could then be determined by winning percentage, with Buffalo and Cincinnati having played one less game than the 30 other teams. Florio says the NFL was prepared to take that approach in 2020, when there was a risk of games being canceled due to the pandemic.

If they do KC becomes the #1 seed at this point.

34 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

If they do KC becomes the #1 seed at this point.

Well, that wouldn't be fair would it....

I think they should push the playoffs out a week and let cinci and buff play out their schedules. which means the ravens and patriots would play them a week later...??

Just giving the chiefs the 1st seed doesn't seem right to me..

The NFL has announced Buffalo and Cincinnati's postponed Week 17 game will not be resumed this week. 

In a statement, the league said it has "made no decision regarding the possible resumption of the game at a later date." Perhaps the league is reserving the right to continue to contest if there is AFC seeding implications following Cincinnati's Week 18 game against the Ravens and Buffalo's date with the Patriots, but it is certainly seeming like this game will eventually be declared a no contest. That would mean all Week 17 fantasy results are final. The league has no good choices as the football world waits for more news on Damar Hamlin's status. Our thoughts remain with Hamlin, his family and teammates. 

57 minutes ago, artsy said:

I think they should push the playoffs out a week and let cinci and buff play out their schedules. which means the ravens and patriots would play them a week later...??

I don't think there is a fair solution to be had.  Unless you play the game tomorrow or Thursday and then let them play mid week the following week, but even then that would make for a short week leading into the playoffs.   Pushing back the playoffs probably doesn't work either because of scheduling and the Super Bowl.  It is a tragic situation but someone is going to get the short end of the stick.   IMO you give them the option.  Cancel the game and go with winning percentage or play the game tomorrow night and then let them play on Monday night the next week.  At least give them the ability to choose

Just now, Lamardirts said:

I don't think there is a fair solution to be had.  Unless you play the game tomorrow or Thursday and then let them play mid week the following week, but even then that would make for a short week leading into the playoffs.   Pushing back the playoffs probably doesn't work either because of scheduling and the Super Bowl.  It is a tragic situation but someone is going to get the short end of the stick.   IMO you give them the option.  Cancel the game and go with winning percentage or play the game tomorrow night and then let them play on Monday night the next week.  At least give them the ability to choose

Yup, I agree. 

Just now, artsy said:

Yup, I agree. 

Fair is not a reality. No matter what they do now someone will be on the wrong side of that coin flip. 

Very difficult to push the entire NFL schedule to different weeks. 

You have millions of fans with hotel reservations, tickets, travel plans and yes a life, a job, a family too. You have thousands of NFL employees, stadium employees, security etc that would have their lives turned upside down. Will there be hotels available on a different date? What about loss revenues for business owners counting on that current NFL specific schedule. 

Its not just the players.

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Fair is not a reality. No matter what they do now someone will be on the wrong side of that coin flip. 

Very difficult to push the entire NFL schedule to different weeks. 

You have millions of fans with hotel reservations, tickets, travel plans and yes a life, a job, a family too. You have thousands of NFL employees, stadium employees, security etc that would have their lives turned upside down. Will there be hotels available on a different date? What about loss revenues for business owners counting on that current NFL specific schedule. 

Yea, you're right AFC. But, to give the chiefs the top seed just doesn't seem right. What if the chiefs actually win the SB?

Is there an asterisk with the win??? I'm sure Cinci and Buff fans would think so.

IDK...

1 minute ago, artsy said:

Yea, you're right AFC. But, to give the chiefs the top seed just doesn't seem right. What if the chiefs actually win the SB?

Is there an asterisk with the win??? I'm sure Cinci and Buff fans would think so.

IDK...

There is no fair way to do this. We have seen other tragic severe injuries during games. Maybe not as visually concerning or life threatening but very scary serious career ending injuries. Those games were still played. Once the NFL stopped this game they created a situation that can not be resolved fairly. Im glad I did not have to make that decision. 

1 minute ago, jgriff3029 said:

The league could push the playoffs back a week and simply eliminate the bye week prior to the Super Bowl.  Move the stupid Pro bowl "activities" to the night before.  It's flag football now anyways.

Sure and screw the fans, communities, workers, businesses etc. Who will compensate the hotels for lost revenue? Thats just one example. 

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

All sounds like BS to me. If Cini won on a terrible call, nobody would be giving the bye back. Fair schmair. We have been screwed as much as anyone in big games. Jones blow to the head. Fisher holding on the 2-point conversion. It is what it is. If we get the bye, we earned it.

BINGO. KC still needs to beat the Raiders and that is not a given. KC still must earn it.

1 hour ago, artsy said:

. There is no "right" answer

17 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

I’m pretty sure Cincy and Bills aren’t worried about playing the Chiefs in Arrowhead if they are handed the #1 seed.

Chiefs will not be handed anything. They still have to earn it. Heck a snow storm can change outcomes. You play the game one play at a time. NFL is about today. Had Cinn won the Bills fans could say that injury handed KC the 1st seed. They could cry conspiracy. Maybe a bad call. All the excuse BS. Lokked to me like Cinn was going to win that game. Of course who knows.

2 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

I don’t see why.  Bills came in and won already and Burrows basically owns the Chiefs at this point.  

Any home game is a good advantage though,  especially in the playoffs.  One game at a time! 

Well, the Bills season normally ends in KC. Cini will not get home field regardless. I hope Cini thinks they own us.  That’s a good way to get your butt kicked. 

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Well, the Bills season normally ends in KC. Cini will not get home field regardless. I hope Cini thinks they own us.  That’s a good way to get your butt kicked. 

I hope to see a Mahomes special like against Tampa.  Total red letter circled on the calendar game.  Mahomes flipping the ball after making the defense look silly.  

4 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

I hope to see a Mahomes special like against Tampa.  Total red letter circled on the calendar game.  Mahomes flipping the ball after making the defense look silly.  

I would remember that the Bills stomped our ass by 18 points in the regular season last year and we sent them home in the playoffs. This year the Bills won by 4 during the regular season. They are worried about us. They care whether it is home or away.