NFL Seeding Issue. May go by Winning Percentage

• On a gloomy, damp afternoon 50 years ago Sunday, 54,418 excited football fans made their pilgrimage to Tiger Stadium to see if the Detroit Lions, sporting a four-game winning streak and tied for first place with Minnesota in the NFC Central Division, could defeat the "Monsters of the Midway" led by Chicago’s Dick Butkus.
  • However, by 3:30 p.m. Oct. 24, 1971, the game’s outcome seemed meaningless. The tragedy that occurred with a minute left to play would forever serve as a glaring reminder of life’s fragility.

It is believed Hughes is the only player from the who died while competing in a game.

image.png

I’ll throw something out there that’s not revelant but interesting. 
what if the NFL didn’t go to one team only with a bye. Wondering how that would have worked out. 
can’t go back now. 
either way, in my opinion, I don’t want to be given the 1 seed because of what happened. Im sure Clark Reid and co. Don’t either. Chiefs kingdom would never hear the end of it. We are to classy for that. 
it will work itself out just not sure how. 

38 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

what if the NFL didn’t go to one team only with a bye. Wondering how that would have worked out. 
can’t go back now. 
either way, in my opinion, I don’t want to be given the 1 seed because of what happened. Im sure Clark Reid and co. Don’t either. Chiefs kingdom would never hear the end of it. We are to classy for that. 

Coin flip

3 hours ago, artsy said:

Yea, you're right AFC. But, to give the chiefs the top seed just doesn't seem right. What if the chiefs actually win the SB?

Is there an asterisk with the win??? I'm sure Cinci and Buff fans would think so.

IDK...

None of that would be the fault of the Chiefs.

4 minutes ago, mex said:

None of that would be the fault of the Chiefs.

Can’t punish the Chiefs for being in the position they are in.  Shit happens.  It sucks, I hope the guy is ok, it’s traumatic.  If the league says it is winning percentage or whatnot, you might not like it but life’s not fair.  Sometimes even in business shit happens and it’s not fair but it’s the way it is.  

8 minutes ago, mex said:

Screw that. We will have played an extra game. More wear and tear on the players, more chance to get beat.... neither of which Cin or Buff will have had to endure. That means a lot. If buff and cin only play 16, the Chiefs deserve the #1 seed, long as they beat LV. 

End of story.

WINNER. YES good points. Clarification.

1 hour ago, Holmes4six! said:

can’t go back now. 

Moving to 7 playoff teams and only 1 bye was dumb. I actually think the season should be 14 games.

2 games against division = 6 games . 4 games against afc division, 4 games against nfc division. 14 is plenty 

3 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Seeding doesn’t matter now.  My inner conspiracy theorist now predicts that there is a snowball’s chance in hell that anyone other than Buffalo wins LVII. 

conspiracy theory mood GIF

They will be playing with added motivation now... as if they needed any more.

Just now, mex said:

They will be playing with added motivation now... as if they needed any more.

Minus their starting safety. I dont see any advantage for the Bills. Winning teams dont need extra motivation. Im sure losing the way they did last year is more than enough. Revenge is sweet. I also think Cinn will beat them in the playoffs. It will be Cinn vs KC in KC. Yes Chiefs get revenge! 

30 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Minus their starting safety. I dont see any advantage for the Bills. Winning teams dont need extra motivation. Im sure losing the way they did last year is more than enough. Revenge is sweet. I also think Cinn will beat them in the playoffs. It will be Cinn vs KC in KC. Yes Chiefs get revenge! 

Hope you're right but I think Buff goes off after this. 

If the game is rendered irrelevant after next games it's not really an issue but if Bills win us getting the #1 seed isn't fair as we haven't competed under the same circumstances. If there was a rule in place for such tragic situations then it would at least be "acceptable" but I don't think NFL can do what's right by cancelling the game. 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

If the game is rendered irrelevant after next games it's not really an issue but if Bills win us getting the #1 seed isn't fair as we haven't competed under the same circumstances. If there was a rule in place for such tragic situations then it would at least be "acceptable" but I don't think NFL can do what's right by cancelling the game. 

Are you saying if the Bills/Cincy game is cancelled, and if the Bills beat NE, then us getting the #1 seed would be unfair? 

11 minutes ago, mex said:

Are you saying if the Bills/Cincy game is cancelled, and if the Bills beat NE, then us getting the #1 seed would be unfair? 

Yep, if the Bills lose to NE it doesn't matter but if they win then either Bills or Chiefs getting the #1 seed feels unfair to the other IMO. 

This is where i kinda wanna know what happened behind the scenes in how the NFL came to this decision to not play this week.  Was it a unilateral decision by the NFL or was the option given to both teams to continue the game at some point this week. 

Knowing how they came to that decision could help determine fair or unfair.   

11 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

This is where i kinda wanna know what happened behind the scenes in how the NFL came to this decision to not play this week.  Was it a unilateral decision by the NFL or was the option given to both teams to continue the game at some point this week. 

Knowing how they came to that decision could help determine fair or unfair.   

I am sure the Network had something to do with it as well..I mean they did pay the $$ to cover this game and the advertisers as well.  Seems to be the entity not talked about after all they are the ones that get games flexed.

46 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Yep, if the Bills lose to NE it doesn't matter but if they win then either Bills or Chiefs getting the #1 seed feels unfair to the other IMO. 

Couldn't disagree more.

It would be unfair if the Bills had one less game than the Chiefs. One less AFC game. One less playoff-caliber opponent. 

And especially since it is against a quality opponent that the Chiefs already had to play. 

If the Bills/Cincy seasons are shortened due to scheduling issues, the ONLY fair solution is winning percentage. Which means the Chiefs would still need to win on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I am sure the Network had something to do with it as well..I mean they did pay the $$ to cover this game and the advertisers as well.  Seems to be the entity not talked about after all they are the ones that get games flexed.

Not sure the network lost a lot of money. In fact, with all the breaking news coverage, and all the talking heads they brought in to talk about the situation, I'd bet ratings didn't drop all that much.

I watched for another 2-3 hours afterward, hoping to see news of how the kid was doing... and saw quite a few commercials.

6 minutes ago, mex said:

Couldn't disagree more.

It would be unfair if the Bills had one less game than the Chiefs. One less AFC game. One less playoff-caliber opponent. 

And especially since it is against a quality opponent that the Chiefs already had to play. 

If the Bills/Cincy seasons are shortened due to scheduling issues, the ONLY fair solution is winning percentage. Which means the Chiefs would still need to win on Saturday.

Those are the precise reasons I think both teams would need to go through the same number of games for fairness. NFL needs to find a way to let Bills play Cincy and clear up any worries. 

Obviously we assume both teams win or both teams lose this week.

10 minutes ago, mex said:

Not sure the network lost a lot of money. In fact, with all the breaking news coverage, and all the talking heads they brought in to talk about the situation, I'd bet ratings didn't drop all that much.

I watched for another 2-3 hours afterward, hoping to see news of how the kid was doing... and saw quite a few commercials.

once they brought on that bozo with the flat shaved head I went to bed..where's they get that guy..X Files?