NFL Seeding Issue. May go by Winning Percentage

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm guessing most of them would have been fine with playing the next day.  By then, they knew Damar was alive and stable.  But I'm guessing there is more to playing the next day than player willingness.  You have to consider television contracts.  Fans.  Officials.  The stadium personnel.  Security.  Police.  Fairness to the teams in playoff contention playing on a Tuesday.  Not saying these things couldn't be overcome, but putting on and NFL game is probably more involved than we realize.  

Agree;

NFL need to establish a clear policy going forward. Best may be let guys that object to playing not play but play the game. 

At this point the NFL has ruined the ending to this season for teams and fans. There is no solution that is close to reasonable or remotely fair. Everything now becomes unhappy, unfair, conspiracy based BS.  

12 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm guessing most of them would have been fine with playing the next day.  By then, they knew Damar was alive and stable.  But I'm guessing there is more to playing the next day than player willingness.  You have to consider television contracts.  Fans.  Officials.  The stadium personnel.  Security.  Police.  Fairness to the teams in playoff contention playing on a Tuesday.  Not saying these things couldn't be overcome, but putting on and NFL game is probably more involved than we realize.  

I can agree with that as far as putting it on wouldn't have been easy. 

I think there is a simple solution.  According to reports, the players said they were not playing.  Not the NFL.  In my mind, although it is harsh, it is reality, the TEAMS decided not to play.  They both get a loss.  Every other team played week 17, and every other team had a win or a loss, period.  All the other teams exposed their players to risk.  The NFL shoul just consider it a loss by both teams, and move forward with the season, hell, I'd even be ok with considering it a tie and moving on.

20 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I think there is a simple solution.  According to reports, the players said they were not playing.  Not the NFL.  In my mind, although it is harsh, it is reality, the TEAMS decided not to play.  They both get a loss.  Every other team played week 17, and every other team had a win or a loss, period.  All the other teams exposed their players to risk.  The NFL shoul just consider it a loss by both teams, and move forward with the season, hell, I'd even be ok with considering it a tie and moving on.

Agree.  No way they will give the chiefs that kind of advantage though. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

dont look now but the fix is in.. Raiders win and Bills win the SB. It's a done deal. It's the WWF all over again hulk hogan wrestling GIF

Hard to argue against this, especially if buffalo makes it to the Super Bowl with any remotely questionable calls.  The league wants a story line 

Touchdown Wire

Report: NFL will not continue Bills-Bengals game

Doug Farrar
Thu, January 5, 2023 at 1:52 PM CST

ade60443b5c4d494f8eae820eee3b270

Per Rob Maaddi of the Associated Press, the NFL will not endeavor to continue the Monday night game between the Buffalo Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals that was postponed after Bills safety Damar Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest on the field in the first quarter.

Maaddi spoke with two NFL sources on terms of anonymity, because the league is still trying to figure out how to best handle a cancelled game.

Perhaps the best way for the league to move forward is to award the Bills and Bengals a tie.

That would put the Bills at 12-3-1 on the season, with the Bengals moving to 11-4-1. Buffalo would remain the AFC’s second-seed behind the 13-3 Kansas City Chiefs, and the Bengals would remain the AFC’s third seed. The Jacksonville Jaguars are the AFC’s current fourth-seed at 8-8, so there’s no possible way this could muck up the top of the conference.

The Bills have already wrapped up the AFC East. Where it gets a bit more complicated is in the AFC North. The Baltimore Ravens, the AFC’s sixth-seed, have a 10-6 record, and they face the Bengals on Sunday. If the Ravens win to move to 11-6, and the Bengals lose to move to 11-5-1, the Bengals would have the division even though the Ravens swept them.

It’s not the ideal situation — you’d prefer for this to work itself out on the field. But in states of emergency, concessions have to be made so that business can be conducted in the most intelligent, efficient, and sensitive way possible.

Okay so they have cancelled the bills bengals game. 
If chiefs win Saturday and bills lose this weekend chiefs have one seed. 
If bills win and chiefs lose bills have one seed. ( I think) 
what I don’t know is the following. 
what if chiefs win and bills win. Who gets one seed? 

There’s the whole neutral game site for the afccg thing as well but I trying to fiqure what this weekend means for our chiefs. 

7 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Okay so they have cancelled the bills bengals game. 
If chiefs win Saturday and bills lose this weekend chiefs have one seed. 
If bills win and chiefs lose bills have one seed. ( I think) 
what I don’t know is the following. 
what if chiefs win and bills win. Who gets one seed? 

There’s the whole neutral game site for the afccg thing as well but I trying to fiqure what this weekend means for our chiefs. 

If they both win kc is number 1 seed and gets the bye.  But if they meet in afccg, it's at a neutral site. 

19 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

If they both win kc is number 1 seed and gets the bye.  But if they meet in afccg, it's at a neutral site. 

is that just for Chiefs V Bills or any AFCCG matchup?..be curious to see where'd that be, I mean Indy is a Dome and between say Buffalo & KC but Indy can get some F'd up weather to make it hard on the fans. Atlanta?  It'd have to be a stadium where there is no playoff team, New Orleans? I'd prefer a Dome if I had my druthers.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

is that just for Chiefs V Bills or any AFCCG matchup?..be curious to see where'd that be, I mean Indy is a Dome and between say Buffalo & KC but Indy can get some F'd up weather to make it hard on the fans. Atlanta?  It'd have to be a stadium where there is no playoff team, New Orleans? I'd prefer a Dome if I had my druthers.

If bills and chiefs both lose and bengals win this weekend,  then it applies to all three. 

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

There's also a scenario where a bengals ravens playoff game is at a neutral site. 

40 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

If both win this weekend, that means the Chiefs had to play one more regular season game... 4 more quarters of wear and tear/risk of injury that Buff/Cin did not have to endure at the most critical time of year.

Furthermore, that extra game was technically against Cin, one of the top teams in the league, at their house... all while Buff was allowed to OPT not to play them. (albeit for understandable reasons, but shit happens and none of it was KC's fault)

So, if both end up making the AFCCG (pretty big if, but very possible) the solution is to award Buffalo a neutral site, because they opted to discontinue playing a game they very likely could have lost, giving the Chiefs the #1 seed.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs who (potentially) finished with the best win percentage, will have to travel to a neutral site and give up HFA which they earned with their winning percentage.

KC season ticket holders lose the opportunity to purchase AFCCG tickets either to attend or sell. KC fans who don't hold season tickets will not be able to attend the game without sending thousands of dollars and taking off work for travel.

KC community vendors, hotels, restaurants, bars, and other ancillary support businesses who make their living during football season will lose out on significant revenue... all because Buffalo 'might' have won in Cin... had they actually played.

Sounds fair to me. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, mex said:

If both win this weekend, that means the Chiefs had to play one more regular season game... 4 more quarters of wear and tear/risk of injury that Buff/Cin did not have to endure at the most critical time of year.

Furthermore, that extra game was technically against Cin, one of the top teams in the league, at their house... all while Buff was allowed to OPT not to play them. (albeit for understandable reasons, but shit happens and none of it was KC's fault)

So, if both end up making the AFCCG (pretty big if, but very possible) the solution is to award Buffalo a neutral site, because they opted to discontinue playing a game they very likely could have lost, giving the Chiefs the #1 seed.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs who (potentially) finished with the best win percentage, will have to travel to a neutral site and give up HFA which they earned with their winning percentage.

KC season ticket holders lose the opportunity to purchase AFCCG tickets either to attend or sell. KC fans who don't hold season tickets will not be able to attend the game without sending thousands of dollars and taking off work for travel.

KC community vendors, hotels, restaurants, bars, and other ancillary support businesses who make their living during football season will lose out on significant revenue... all because Buffalo 'might' have won in Cin... had they actually played.

yea I know ...right?

9 minutes ago, mex said:

Agree 100%. Letting some players, I doubt they actually voted, decide not to play was a huge mistake. KC should not be penalized. The game should have resumed. There is no fair solution. 

None of this had to happen as their are rules in place for postponed games and cancelled games   They had 48 hrs after it was postponed to play it and if they don't and cancel it then they go by win pct and let the chips fall where they may.  No provision or any talk of a neutral site or coin flips in the case of ravens cincy 

The exev vp of the Bengals said the rules shouldnt be changed during the season and should be done during the off seaxon as its a chance to introduce a bias.    

If the NFL would have just followed their own rules its pretty clear cut but yet here we are.  

31 minutes ago, mex said:

It also means that the Chiefs get one less playoff game and a bye.  4 less quarters at a critical time as you say.  And the lowest remaining seed for the opportunity to advance to the AFCCG.  And the two teams with a chance at the number 1 seed both beat us head to head and through some bad circumstances didn't get the opportunity either.  We didn't exactly earn the number 1 seed.  It was given to us and complaining about it seems a little wrong.  They did the best they could and nobody was gonna be happy with it.