NFL Seeding Issue. May go by Winning Percentage

31 minutes ago, mex said:

I'm with you... I've been following some buffalo and cincy boards and it's hilarious that each team thinks they're getting hosed. The buff fans think the Chiefs are getting away with murder, simply because buff won the head-to-head which is absolutely meaningless and kinda funny being as how last year buff beat us in the reg season and still lost in the playoffs.

Fans can rationalize anything...

I dont care about how it helps or hurts KC. Its about the fans of all teams, local business etc. If I own the local PIZZA HANGOUT in any of these cities Im pissed. If IM a server Im pissed. This hurts so many that should not have a game moved to a neutral site. How do you choose that site? Here comes more conspiracies. Does KC prefer grass? Does Cinn play better outdoors? On and ON. Is the south really neutral?

Just now, oldtimer said:

ignorance of the rules is no excuse. every team has an NFLPA  rep usually one of the smarter people in the locker room. The players made an emotional decision .. that what people do these days. Seriously I'm past he point of caring anymore...Play Ball

Yep ....play ball

About the rules i doubt. they did as its not something they have to deal with.  Up until yesterday this wasn't even getting brought up by the media.  

NFL could have went to both teams and said these are the rules and these will be the consequences if you don't play by wed.  Game gets cancelled and what happens after.  If both decide to not play NFL issues a statement saying even though this was an unfortunate event there are rules in place that cover postponed and cancelled games and we are just following what was in place.  We will look at any changes to be made during the off season.  

2 minutes ago, mex said:

The whole point of playing the game is to win a championship. That is the ultimate goal of every player in the league. 

Not knowing the rules is on the players. There's no difference between the rules for playoff seeding, than the rules for canceling a game.

They are professionals. Football is what they do. 

2 minutes ago, mex said:

The whole point of playing the game is to win a championship. That is the ultimate goal of every player in the league. 

Not knowing the rules is on the players. There's no difference between the rules for playoff seeding, than the rules for canceling a game.

They are professionals. Football is what they do. 

YEs. The point is they are changing the rule! In the middle of the season.

1 minute ago, Okiechief1 said:

Yep ....play ball

About the rules i doubt. they did as its not something they have to deal with.  Up until yesterday this wasn't even getting brought up by the media.  

NFL could have went to both teams and said these are the rules and these will be the consequences if you don't play by wed.  Game gets cancelled and what happens after.  If both decide to not play NFL issues a statement saying even though this was an unfortunate event there are rules in place that cover postponed and cancelled games and we are just following what was in place.  We will look at any changes to be made during the off season.  

But they are changing the rule. Its not just a player issue.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

It also means that the Chiefs get one less playoff game and a bye.  4 less quarters at a critical time as you say.  And the lowest remaining seed for the opportunity to advance to the AFCCG.  And the two teams with a chance at the number 1 seed both beat us head to head and through some bad circumstances didn't get the opportunity either.  We didn't exactly earn the number 1 seed.  It was given to us and complaining about it seems a little wrong.  They did the best they could and nobody was gonna be happy with it.  

How did we not earn it tho?   This assumes Cincinnati and New England are easy wins. I’ll grant that the patriots aren’t the patriots of old, but it’s still a team with a playoff spot in the line.  If the Bills had played the game, it becomes a non issue.  They are in this situation bc of their own choices.  Bending the rules now to placate their decision not to play only sets the precedent moving forward that players can refuse to play and suffer no consequences.  If the league does anything other than declare it a no contest and go by winning percentage, they’re only guaranteeing that this happens again.  Regardless of circumstances the players can’t just walk off the field in the middle of the game and be rewarded for it. 

2 minutes ago, moons314 said:

How did we not earn it tho?   This assumes Cincinnati and New England are easy wins. I’ll grant that the patriots aren’t the patriots of old, but it’s still a team with a playoff spot in the line.  If the Bills had played the game, it becomes a non issue.  They are in this situation bc of their own choices.  Bending the rules now to placate their decision not to play only sets the precedent moving forward that players can refuse to play and suffer no consequences.  If the league does anything other than declare it a no contest and go by winning percentage, they’re only guaranteeing that this happens again.  Regardless of circumstances the players can’t just walk off the field in the middle of the game and be rewarded for it. 

It guarantees that there are really no rules. All rules are subject to change at anytime.

12 minutes ago, moons314 said:

We didn't not earn it either.  But if we were  the Bills with 3 losses and a head to head win, you'd be thinking the exact opposite.  We didn't earn it outright.  If they beat the Patriots, then you can't say we earned it anymore than the Bills did.  

3 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

you'd be thinking the exact opposite.

you don't know that.

Speaking only for myself, if the roles were reversed I certainly wouldn't be OK knowing we got an advantage after having only played 16 games when everyone else had to play 17

but I tend to see things equitably, so....

"If a game is canceled, a team’s standing in its division or in its conference (e.g., qualification as a Wild Card on the playoffs or position in playoff seeding) shall be determined on the basis of its final record," the rule states. 

It is in the rule book. If we have higher percentage at the end, we should have 1st seed and hfa. End of story.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

"If a game is canceled, a team’s standing in its division or in its conference (e.g., qualification as a Wild Card on the playoffs or position in playoff seeding) shall be determined on the basis of its final record," the rule states. 

It is in the rule book. If we have higher percentage at the end, we should have 1st seed and hfa. End of story.

And home field advantage. 

1 minute ago, gochiefsgo said:

The first step for the NFL is going to be to assure that the Chiefs lose to the Raiders. 
The second step is to make sure Buffalo wins their playoff games. 
The third is to make sure they win the Super Bowl. 

You need a villian.  KC wins tomorrow assuring that KC is the#1 seed.  The public outcry starts that KC didn't deserve the 1 seed and it was given to them.  Since Hamlin is awake and talking now n video chatted into their team meeting today he gives them the rallying cry the win one for the gipper moment.  Buffalo goes on to to annihlate the Pats and then proceeds to dispose of whover they face in the first 2 rds of the playoffs.  Setting up a rematch on a neutral site of KC n Buffalo for the AFCCG.   Buffalo beats KC in another epic battle that saw the change to the OT rule come into play  on their way to winning the SB with Hamlin on the stage raising the lomatdi.  

The Bills finally beat KC in the playoffs disposing of their nemesis finally win a SB in a season which they battled injuries snowstorms and near death on the field and the media lamenates all over them for all the obstacles they had to face and overcome.  

3 minutes ago, mex said:

you don't know that.

Speaking only for myself, if the roles were reversed I certainly wouldn't be OK knowing we got an advantage after having only played 16 games when everyone else had to play 17

but I tend to see things equitably, so....

If you were seeing it equitably, you'd see that we got an advantage because we were able to play 17 and that they were at a disadvantage for only playing 16.  

4 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

You need a villian.  KC wins tomorrow assuring that KC is the#1 seed.  The public outcry starts that KC didn't deserve the 1 seed and it was given to them.  Since Hamlin is awake and talking now n video chatted into their team meeting today he gives them the rallying cry the win one for the gipper moment.  Buffalo goes on to to annihlate the Pats and then proceeds to dispose of whover they face in the first 2 rds of the playoffs.  Setting up a rematch on a neutral site of KC n Buffalo for the AFCCG.   Buffalo beats KC in another epic battle that saw the change to the OT rule come into play  on their way to winning the SB with Hamlin on the stage raising the lomatdi.  

The Bills finally beat KC in the playoffs disposing of their nemesis finally win a SB in a season which they battled injuries snowstorms and near death on the field and the media lamenates all over them for all the obstacles they had to face and overcome.  

TV gif. White script scrolls across the red ringed Looney Tunes closing credit background. Text, "That's all folks!"

3 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

If you were seeing it equitably, you'd see that we got an advantage because we were able to play 17 and that they were at a disadvantage for only playing 16.  

Something that the chiefs had no hand in.  Seeing it equitably would see that the scenario would penalize the chiefs for having played all their games and doing what they were supposed to.  It’s not their fault buffalo opted out.