NFL Seeding Issue. May go by Winning Percentage

12 minutes ago, mex said:

you don't know that.

Speaking only for myself, if the roles were reversed I certainly wouldn't be OK knowing we got an advantage after having only played 16 games when everyone else had to play 17

but I tend to see things equitably, so....

Absolutely. If roles were reversed I’d say the same thing, they didn’t play the game, so no special treatment. 

2 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

You need a villian.  KC wins tomorrow assuring that KC is the#1 seed.  The public outcry starts that KC didn't deserve the 1 seed and it was given to them.  Since Hamlin is awake and talking now n video chatted into their team meeting today he gives them the rallying cry the win one for the gipper moment.  Buffalo goes on to to annihlate the Pats and then proceeds to dispose of whover they face in the first 2 rds of the playoffs.  Setting up a rematch on a neutral site of KC n Buffalo for the AFCCG.   Buffalo beats KC in another epic battle that saw the change to the OT rule come into play  on their way to winning the SB with Hamlin on the stage raising the lomatdi.  

The Bills finally beat KC in the playoffs disposing of their nemesis finally win a SB in a season which they battled injuries snowstorms and near death on the field and the media lamenates all over them for all the obstacles they had to face and overcome.  

Well that’s exactly what I see happening as well to a degree. The thing is, playing at a neutral site, for whichever team has HFA, that’s taking the fans out of equation. if it’s at Arrowhead, for instance, you remove those rabid fans that could potentially impact the game simply by cheering their asses off and causing a false start or delay of game penalty or whatever. 
if you are the number one seed you’ve earned the right to play on your field with your fans and not in some other part of the country. 
No matter what happens it seems like a Stab in the back to whichever team wins that right. 
The fallout from this is going to be terrible ultimately for the NFL. 

1 minute ago, moons314 said:

Absolutely. If roles were reversed I’d say the same thing, they didn’t play the game, so no special treatment. 

The only special treatment we are getting is the possibility that we play the AFCCG at a neutral site.  Otherwise we received the number 1 seed (assuming we win) and the bye.  Otherwise, we came out of it pretty freaking lucky.

I'm not irritable.  I just see both sides and recognize that nobody is truly gonna be happy.  The Bills came into Arrowhead and beat our ass in a prime time game.   I can see how people here would take the opposite approach if things were reversed.  I don't know, and neither does anyone here, what the discussion was that night.  We don't know if the teams and the league were talking about a postponement or cancelation.  The NFL itself didn't decide for a while if they were going to make it up.  We got our number 1 seed, which was still very much in doubt.  Hopefully the Patriots take care of the Bills and we take care of the Raiders and put it all to bed.  It's a bad deal.  

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not irritable.  I just see both sides and recognize that nobody is truly gonna be happy.  The Bills came into Arrowhead and beat our ass in a prime time game.   I can see how people here would take the opposite approach if things were reversed.  I don't know, and neither does anyone here, what the discussion was that night.  We don't know if the teams and the league were talking about a postponement or cancelation.  The NFL itself didn't decide for a while if they were going to make it up.  We got our number 1 seed, which was still very much in doubt.  Hopefully the Patriots take care of the Bills and we take care of the Raiders and put it all to bed.  It's a bad deal.  

Good point. They may have thought postponed. 

22 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not irritable.

I was referring to OT in that post.

He logs in from the seat of his tractor with a 200 ft phone line that reaches all the way to his 1997 Hewlett Packard w/ 8KB ram and 256KB hard drive. His recent upgrade to the 14.4 modem allows him to post all those GIFs.

1 minute ago, mex said:

I was referring to OT in that post.

He logs in from the seat of his tractor with a 200 ft phone line that reaches all the way to his 1997 Hewlett Packard w/ 8KB ram and 256KB hard drive. His recent upgrade to the 14.4 modem allows him to post all those GIFs.

I heard his computer is a pull start.  

Man o man

Faced with an unprecedented situation, the NFL’s owners have done an unprecedented thing.

The owners have voted to approve changes to the existing rule for handling the aftermath of a canceled game, PFT has confirmed.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, 25 owners voted in favor of the changes, with three or four voting no and the rest abstaining.

The new rule creates a potential neutral-site AFC Championship based on various factors, given the cancellation of Bills-Bengals. The new rule also determines home-field advantage for a Bengals-Ravens wild-card game by a coin flip, if the Ravens beat the Bengals on Sunday.

The existing rule would have determined all seeding based on winning percentage, with no neutral sites or coin flips or any other twists or tweaks.

The NFL has not explained to the media or the general public why the rule on the books was insufficient. The NFL could have previously crafted a rule that would have given the Commissioner the power to make decisions regarding playoff seeding and game location, but it didn’t.

Today’s development becomes a de facto endorsement of the Commissioner exercising that precise power, by mustering enough votes to get the change to the rule passed.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Man o man

Faced with an unprecedented situation, the NFL’s owners have done an unprecedented thing.

The owners have voted to approve changes to the existing rule for handling the aftermath of a canceled game, PFT has confirmed.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, 25 owners voted in favor of the changes, with three or four voting no and the rest abstaining.

The new rule creates a potential neutral-site AFC Championship based on various factors, given the cancellation of Bills-Bengals. The new rule also determines home-field advantage for a Bengals-Ravens wild-card game by a coin flip, if the Ravens beat the Bengals on Sunday.

The existing rule would have determined all seeding based on winning percentage, with no neutral sites or coin flips or any other twists or tweaks.

The NFL has not explained to the media or the general public why the rule on the books was insufficient. The NFL could have previously crafted a rule that would have given the Commissioner the power to make decisions regarding playoff seeding and game location, but it didn’t.

Today’s development becomes a de facto endorsement of the Commissioner exercising that precise power, by mustering enough votes to get the change to the rule passed.

Attorneys Unite. Lots of reasons for lots of lawsuits. 

45 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Maybe. The main damage will be from them ignoring their own rulebooks and the perception that comes from it. 

Out of curiosity, would Jackson county have a case here?  The taxpayers paid the stadium bill, and a unilateral move by the league mid season could cost the county a good amount of revenue.  What is the tax bill from ticket sales alone?  Fans from surrounding states coming in and stopping at gas stations, restaurants, hotels. I’m no lawyer but there does seem to be some sort of liability, because of the taxpayer investment, right?