Playoffs Scenarios

The NFL said it would propose to owners the AFC Championship game move to a to-be-determined location if one of the following three criteria take place in Week 18:

• Buffalo and KC both win or both tie; a Buffalo vs. KC championship game would be at a neutral site.

• Buffalo and KC both lose and Baltimore wins or ties; a Buffalo vs. KC championship game would be at a neutral site.

• Buffalo and KC both lose and Cincinnati wins; a Buffalo or Cincinnati vs. KC championship game would be at a neutral site.

In essence, the NFL would be looking to move the AFC Championship game to a neutral site if KC’s record finishes a half-game in front of the AFC’s No. 2 seed, with Buffalo or Cincinnati not getting the chance to match that mark with one fewer game played. Both the Bills and Bengals previously held the playoff tiebreaker over the Chiefs, thanks to head-to-head victories over KC in the regular season. The league also will propose at Friday’s meeting that if Baltimore defeats Cincinnati in Week 18, a coin toss will determine home field if those two teams meet in the playoffs. This is because if they win Sunday, the Ravens would remain a half-game behind the Bengals in the AFC North standings and unable to match Cincinnati’s record because of Monday’s canceled game — even after potentially defeating the Bengals twice in head-to-head matchups this season. Some key factors, the NFL said, were at play in arriving at the final decision. The league attempted not to affect other clubs qualifying for the postseason and also wanted to avoid postponing the playoffs’ start, which would impact 14 teams. The NFL also believed deciding before Week 18 was vital, because it enabled all clubs to know their playoff possibilities before they took the field this weekend.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article270835377.html#storylink=cpy

I also read that there is a proposal that would give the #1 seed the choice of either having home field Advantage or the bye week. I really don't like the propsal to play the AFC Championship at a neutral site because that seems like a punishment for fans. If i had a choice i would forefit the bye week for home field throughout the playoffs. 

25 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

I also read that there is a proposal that would give the #1 seed the choice of either having home field Advantage or the bye week. I really don't like the propsal to play the AFC Championship at a neutral site because that seems like a punishment for fans. If i had a choice i would forefit the bye week for home field throughout the playoffs. 

I'd guess it would have to do with more about the health of the deciding team. Give Andy a week to prepare has been a good bet.