Butker hurt?

Chiefs Wire

Chiefs hosted K Matthew Wright for tryout on Thursday

Charles Goldman
Thu, January 5, 2023 at 5:35 PM CST

With Kansas City Chiefs K Harrison Butker having back spasms pop up during practice this week, the team hosted a familiar face on a tryout.

Matthew Wright — who kicked for the Chiefs for two games (Week 4-5) when Butker was injured earlier this season — was in Kansas City for a tryout on Thursday. Wright was the team’s second backup kicker (third if you count Justin Reid) after Matt Ammendola struggled in Butker’s absence. In his two games kicking for the Chiefs, Wright was nearly perfect, going 8-for-8 on extra points and 3-for-4 on field goals.

The Chiefs have not yet signed Wright to the 53-man roster or practice squad, but with Harrison Butker listed as questionable in Week 18, this is an appropriate measure to take. They can sign Wright to the practice squad tomorrow and promote him to the 53-man roster via standard elevation if need be.

12 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Can’t keep trotting out the same thing when your crossing your damn fingers for every kick. 
I’m okay with wright starting. I don’t recall how strong his leg is vs butker. 
maybe Wright is the new holder ? Lol. 

If he plays, I guess we will see if Townsend is a factor in our drop in confidence.

14 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Can’t keep trotting out the same thing when your crossing your damn fingers for every kick. 
I’m okay with wright starting. I don’t recall how strong his leg is vs butker. 
maybe Wright is the new holder ? Lol. 

But but but….all I’ve heard all season are the excuses about him and his injury from week 1.  Dudes had top medical care, time to stop making excuses.  

I should have called his his ass out when I had the chance on the hiking trail.  Maybe his time was better used practicing or rehabbing then climbing a rocky, ankle breaker trail.  

19 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

But but but….all I’ve heard all season are the excuses about him and his injury from week 1.  Dudes had top medical care, time to stop making excuses.  

I should have called his his ass out when I had the chance on the hiking trail.  Maybe his time was better used practicing or rehabbing then climbing a rocky, ankle breaker trail.  

And yet he went what, 5-5 on kicks today?

20 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

guys im just gonna throw this out there. its now official Matt Wright is kicking today. Im 99% sure that butkers back "injury" is just a way to put him on IR without cutting him. They probably hope he will turn around the kicking either this year or more likely for next season.

john mulaney snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

21 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

guys im just gonna throw this out there. its now official Matt Wright is kicking today. Im 99% sure that butkers back "injury" is just a way to put him on IR without cutting him. They probably hope he will turn around the kicking either this year or more likely for next season.

Cranjis translator:  "Guys, just let me talk out my butt for a minute here".

2 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

And yet he went what, 5-5 on kicks today?

Wow he finally did his job and didn’t miss an extra gimme pt.  Congrats.

He’s ranked 29th in the league for fg percentage, 78%.  Mr. Clutch has been anything but.

5 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Wow he finally did his job and didn’t miss an extra gimme pt.  Congrats.

He’s ranked 29th in the league for fg percentage, 78%.  Mr. Clutch has been anything but.

Well, I could care less what he did last week or the last 17 weeks.  All I care about is what he does in the 2nds season.  I would think rebuilding confidence is the first step and that this week was a step in that direction!  You can be negative nancy all you want.  

46 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Well, I could care less what he did last week or the last 17 weeks.  All I care about is what he does in the 2nds season.  I would think rebuilding confidence is the first step and that this week was a step in that direction!  You can be negative nancy all you want.  

Get Townsend to do his job and it becomes easier for Butker.

49 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

This WAS his second season.  No, I think he is great.  Butker had a sprained ankle and has a great punter who sucks at holding for him.  He needs a holder who is a great ball handler with a quick brain and hands to hold for him.  Remember Butker is the guy who had to complete three 58 yard FG's in a row last season in the wind because of last second attempts to ice him...and did.

21 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

This WAS his second season.  No, I think he is great.  Butker had a sprained ankle and has a great punter who sucks at holding for him.  He needs a holder who is a great ball handler with a quick brain and hands to hold for him.  Remember Butker is the guy who had to complete three 58 yard FG's in a row last season in the wind because of last second attempts to ice him...and did.

Second season meaning playoffs, not actual "season".

• 2 weeks later...