Chiefs vs Raiders

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/1/6/23541479/chiefs-raiders-defense-steve-spagnuolo-ljarius-sneed-tough-sucker

Sneed returned for the Chiefs’ final defensive series of the game, and the issue was later revealed to be a hip pointer. The third-year pro was held out of Tuesday’s practice, before turning in limited sessions on Wednesday and Thursday.

Speaking after Thursday’s practice, Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo acknowledged Sneed is playing at an All-Pro caliber level after shadowing top opposing receivers in recent games — and the cornerback is crucial to the defense’s success.

“Listen, I can’t say enough about LJ,” the coach declared. “I could talk the whole press conference on LJ Sneed. I’m a believer in LJ Sneed. I think you just said All Pro — and I think he’s already there even before all that. And we as a unit feel that way about him and know that he’s a key guy for us to be really good.”

The fast turnaround from facing the Broncos to seeing the Raiders may complicate Sneed’s availability.

“He didn’t get full [practice],” Spagnuolo confirmed, “because he was still feeling pain and it’s a little bit uncomfortable — but he’s a tough sucker. We need him to tough it out for this game. [The] short week made it a little bit tougher.”

The Raiders have nothing to play for, a backup QB, a shitty coach, and some turmoil.   Most of those players will have one eye on the offseason.  There's no reason the Chiefs shouldn't win this easily.  Of course the Chiefs are bad about playing down to their opponent, and if the Raiders are disinterested, the Chiefs might be too.  

The Chiefs needed some receiver depth with Skyy Moore ruled out, and Mecole Hardman returning on a snap count.

So the Chiefs have elevated receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette from the practice squad as a standard elevation.

It’s the second time the Chiefs have elevated Smith-Marsette. In Week 14 against the Broncos, Smith-Marsette played three offensive snaps and had no statistics.

The Chiefs also elevated kicker Matthew Wright from the practice squad as a standard elevation. Wright tried out with the team Thursday and signed with the practice squad Friday.

Veteran kicker Harrison Butker is questionable for Saturday’s game against the Raiders with back spasms.

Wright went 7-of-7 on extra points and 12-of-14 on field goals in four games with the Steelers this season.

2 minutes ago, moons314 said:

The Raiders have nothing to play for, a backup QB, a shitty coach, and some turmoil.   Most of those players will have one eye on the offseason.  There's no reason the Chiefs shouldn't win this easily.  Of course the Chiefs are bad about playing down to their opponent, and if the Raiders are disinterested, the Chiefs might be too.  

I disagree. They know they can get cut, they hate KC, they know they can drop KC from the top seed, the back up QB played really well last week and is mobile, they have lost close games to KC and this game is a chance for them to end the season on a high note. It is their superbowl.

30 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I disagree. They know they can get cut, they hate KC, they know they can drop KC from the top seed, the back up QB played really well last week and is mobile, they have lost close games to KC and this game is a chance for them to end the season on a high note. It is their superbowl.

KC is just another game to them, there's no rivalry hate there.  Knocking KC down a seed isn't something a bunch of guys are gonna care about after the shit disaster season they've had.  They're a team trending the wrong direction, which rarely leads to guys being fully engaged on the last day of the season.

3 minutes ago, moons314 said:

KC is just another game to them, there's no rivalry hate there.  Knocking KC down a seed isn't something a bunch of guys are gonna care about after the shit disaster season they've had.  They're a team trending the wrong direction, which rarely leads to guys being fully engaged on the last day of the season.

I could not disagree more. They absolutely hate KC. They almost beat the Niners last week. They will be up for this game. Most of their loses are in the last minutes of each game. 

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I could not disagree more. They absolutely hate KC. They almost beat the Niners last week. They will be up for this game. Most of their loses are in the last minutes of each game. 

Im going to be curious how the events of this week happened impact the games.  Patrick even said its going to be a weird feeling stepping onto the field.  You know these guys were paying attention to at least some of it so I'm not sure the focus was completely on the game all week.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see a sloppy game from both sides.  

14 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Im going to be curious how the events of this week happened impact the games.  Patrick even said its going to be a weird feeling stepping onto the field.  You know these guys were paying attention to at least some of it so I'm not sure the focus was completely on the game all week.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see a sloppy game from both sides.  

I think his comments were just him being smart and knowing how to handle the media.  These guys know the risks and have played the game their entire lives, they're not going to be feeling "weird" or anything for these guys because of a freak occurrence.  

13 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I think his comments were just him being smart and knowing how to handle the media.  These guys know the risks and have played the game their entire lives, they're not going to be feeling "weird" or anything for these guys because of a freak occurrence.  

Probably true just thought it was an odd comment is all.  

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I agree with west. They will be playing to knock us off. Simple as that. U can bet on mcdaniels being river boat. Going for it on 4 th, fake punts etc. 

So who's more motivated, the team gunning for the top seed or the one playing for nothing more than to stop them?  In the Ben Davidson/Brad Hubbard era, one might guess the second.  Today just doesn't have the same feel beyond the fact it's a divisional game. 

Covering running backs out of the backfield isn’t a Las Vegas strength and expect Kansas City to exploit to the extreme. Especially considering the Raiders linebacker unit is decimated by injury and beset by ineffectiveness. The loss of middle linebacker Denzel Perryman (shoulder injury) has opened up snaps for undrafted free agent Luke Masterson and others. And like Perryman, Masterson is a better run defender than cover man. The depth at linebacker is so thin that veteran Harvey Langi was signed off the street and ended up starting against San Francisco. He played 45 snaps (67 percent of the Raiders total defensive count) and finished with nine total tackles.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2023/1/6/23539521/raiders-chiefs-week-19-matchup-preview