Resigning or extending Bolton just got harder.

Ravens giving Roquan Smith 5/100 with 60 million guaranteed.   

Obviously, the devil is in the details but dang.  What are y’all’s thoughts on giving Bolton that sort of deal?  I love him but no way we can offer him a similar deal even if he is worth it can we?   

Salaries are going to continue be inflated. Teams will be forced to over pay for proven talent. The idea that the cap is going up so WE will have more to spens is a misconception. KC has the best approach. Dont want to be that ALL IN then crash & burn team like the Rams. Maybe Balt already knows they are not giving Jackson a new contract? 

20 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Ravens giving Roquan Smith 5/100 with 60 million guaranteed.   

Obviously, the devil is in the details but dang.  What are y’all’s thoughts on giving Bolton that sort of deal?  I love him but no way we can offer him a similar deal even if he is worth it can we?   

wont have to think about it for at least another season. Ravens gave a lot up for him almost had to.  Lets see what the Cap is and the cap space is before fretting about Bolton.

As fans of a team that's highly successful at the moment and with lots of young players who look good, we'd better get used to the idea that not everyone will stay here long term.  It's up to Veach to keep the parts that they can't win without and to get the max out of those he has to let go.  The Hill trade was a masterpiece in the cap space saved and the draft picks obtained.  I expect to see some more of those type deals as long as the Chiefs keep winning.  There will be wailing and nashing of teeth from the fans, but it's the way for long term success.  

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/09/kansas-city-chiefs-2020-nfl-draft-picks-eligible-for-contract-extensions/

I would focus on the guys from 2020 right now. 

• RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire
  • LB Willie Gay Jr.
  • OT Lucas Niang
  • CB L’Jarius Sneed
  • DE Mike Danna

Of these who are eligible, I would work on Sneed, Gay and Danna. I am worried how much Sneed will cost. Gay should be somewhat affordable. Danna should be an easy one. CEH and Niang can go cheap or just go away. 

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

J.C. Jackson who was considered the best DB in FA last year got what 5/82 or 16.5m per.  I could see Sneed getting something similar which would be fair.   

Definitely wouldn't mind such figures but I'm expecting some inflation there. As the cap increases we likely have to change our perspective of some milestones such as 20 million per year which would mean something like 10 million just a decade ago. 

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

J.C. Jackson who was considered the best DB in FA last year got what 5/82 or 16.5m per.  I could see Sneed getting something similar which would be fair.   

I can see that, but it won’t be here.  Veach spends next to nothing on corners, and I don’t see anything indicating a change on that front.   Given overall cap constraints, that money would be better packaged into the defensive line, while continuing to rotate mid round picks on the corners.  The rules just make it so hard to play corner, passrush is much more important. 

Just now, moons314 said:

I can see that, but it won’t be here.  Veach spends next to nothing on corners, and I don’t see anything indicating a change on that front.   Given overall cap constraints, that money would be better packaged into the defensive line, while continuing to rotate mid round picks on the corners.  The rules just make it so hard to play corner, passrush is much more important. 

I think your reaching. Veach believes in "Core" players. He listed the Gerbil as one, if he thinks Sneed  is not just a flash in the pan and one of these "Core" players he'll pay. He wont break the bank but he will pay FMV. 

IF Sneed becomes an ALL PRO type player he very well may Tag n Trade but thats a far cry from "Spending next to nothing"

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I think your reaching. Veach believes in "Core" players. He listed the Gerbil as one, if he thinks Sneed  is not just a flash in the pan and one of these "Core" players he'll pay. He wont break the bank but he will pay FMV. 

IF Sneed becomes an ALL PRO type player he very well may Tag n Trade but thats a far cry from "Spending next to nothing"

Tag and trade is likely.  Corner is going to be like RB, but with higher draft picks.  The chiefs learned a valuable lesson with CEH. 

we have a good stable of young cheap corners, and that’s going to continue.  

44 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I am not so sure. We have understood that Veach does not spend premium draft picks on CBs. Spags only likes long CBs. If they can get him at anything less than the going rate, I think they sign him. Snead provides good run support and pass rush. I see him as a non-traditional CB that would be very hard to replace. Not optimistic, but it would not surprise me if they made a run at him.

Sneed is much more than a CB to this D.  He is a jack of all trades menace.  He is so versatile and with McDuffie, Williams, and Watson on rookie contracts it seems like a no brainer to get this done.    If you can extend him for 5/90 you do it.  Next year will get a bump which will reduce the extended years some.   It'll more than likely be a 3 year extension in reality with 2 cutable years.  By then McDuffie and company will come due.  

He is big, fast, and has the ability to roam, play slot, outside if needed, travel, and blitz, make him invaluable for this D.   CJ is another extension I would do.  On D you would have CJ ~20-23m, Sneed 17m, Reid 10m, and then you have a bunch of rookies and middle tier vets.  You still have plenty to spend on a DE if one comes available or a certain Bengals S.

The only players on the team that i worry about losing are Mahomes, Kelce, Chris Jones, and Lagarius Sneed. Tyreek was in this category for me thats why i was sick when he left. 

Next in line are Thuney, Creed, and Juju as people i want to keep happy on contracts.

the rest are either rookies that look promising, people that are interchangeable with many other players in the nfl, or simply bad.

i put bolton at the top of the interchangeable list, i would like to have him on the team for a reasonable deal, but if he left I wouldn’t lose any sleep to be honest. As far as linebackers I expect them to get a deal done with bolton and let willie gay walk, and that would be a solid plan in my book