Jags vs. Chargers

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Yes but depending on how they structure it 2025 might be the first year with a big cap hit.

So a two year window?  And if they don't make at least a AFCCG in that time?  Veach is a genius for signing Mahomes to a flexible ten year deal.  Like Bradly, he will seem cheap in a few years down the road, especially if the cap rises dramatically.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So a two year window?  And if they don't make at least a AFCCG in that time?  Veach is a genius for signing Mahomes to a flexible ten year deal.  Like Bradly, he will seem cheap in a few years down the road, especially if the cap rises dramatically.

Pat and Brady were smart enough to not handicap their team. I remember being frustrated that Brady was the 16th highest paid QB.  Now we will be that way for a while. Dynasty.

4 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Pat and Brady were smart enough to not handicap their team. I remember being frustrated that Brady was the 16th highest paid QB.  Now we will be that way for a while. Dynasty.

Mahomes makes a reported $20 million per year off endorsements and advertising.  That happens because he's the best and the face of the NFL.  Without Reid, at least one SB win, multiple MVPs, etc., Mahomes would be risking at lot if he threatened to move to another situation for a few million more.  Things just fit too well for him in KC.

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Mahomes makes a reported $20 million per year of endorsements and advertising.  That happens because he's the best and the face of the NFL.  Without Reid, at least one SB win, multiple MVPs, etc., Mahomes would be risking at lot if he threatened to move to another situation for a few million more.  Things just fit too well for him in KC.

Down play it if you want, but I appreciate his dedication to the city. It is rare. You can get endorsements anywhere so Baker Mayfield tells me. 

1 minute ago, DieHard said:

Down play it if you want, but I appreciate his dedication to the city. It is rare. You can get endorsements anywhere so Baker Mayfield tells me. 

Not downplaying it.  I appreciate that Mahomes seems willing to tie himself to the KC area and the team here.  Just pointing out that his team friendly contract isn't a big sacrifice for him financially.  I'd also agree that winning here is more important that bigger paydays elsewhere.  BTW:  How much is Mayfield making on the side now?  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Not downplaying it.  I appreciate that Mahomes seems willing to tie himself to the KC area and the team here.  Just pointing out that his team friendly contract isn't a big sacrifice for him financially.  I'd also agree that winning here is more important that bigger paydays elsewhere.  BTW:  How much is Mayfield making on the side now?  

Probably not much.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

It's symbiotic. Without this team and Andy/Brett's help assembling a perennial playoff caliber team including 1 SB win (so far) not sure he'd have the same degree of endorsements. Likewise, without PM the team doesn't get as far.

While his 'other' income makes it easier for him to not demand to be the top-paid QB in the league, he probably wouldn't press it anyways under the current circumstances because it is such a great fit. 

DH nailed it, in that it does seem like the heyday of the Pats/Brady.  Also reminds me of how Elway restructured his last few contracts to give his team a better chance of winning a championship... which they ultimately did.

1 hour ago, mex said:

It's symbiotic. Without this team and Andy/Brett's help assembling a perennial playoff caliber team including 1 SB win (so far) not sure he'd have the same degree of endorsements. Likewise, without PM the team doesn't get as far.

While his 'other' income makes it easier for him to not demand to be the top-paid QB in the league, he probably wouldn't press it anyways under the current circumstances because it is such a great fit. 

DH nailed it, in that it does seem like the heyday of the Pats/Brady.  Also reminds me of how Elway restructured his last few contracts to give his team a better chance of winning a championship... which they ultimately did.

How Elway and others were paid under the table, for the stadium updates etc to be able to get paid and not get hit in the cap space and sign others like Neil Smith? Fucking cheaters.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

How Elway and others were paid under the table, for the stadium updates etc to be able to get paid and not get hit in the cap space? Fucking cheaters.

Never heard of any of that, but it wouldn't surprise me... got a link?

10 minutes ago, mex said:

Never heard of any of that, but it wouldn't surprise me... got a link?

Really? That surprises me honestly. Al Davis was forever hot about it.

Really there is a lot of digging you can get into on this. They signed Davis and Elway really cheap. Punishment was a fine and 2 third round picks, which is nothing to get a SB.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/14/revisiting-denvers-cap-penalties-from-the-1990s/

Oh also the Smith signing.... there were others they got too with these restructures that happened.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/15/sports/broncos-sign-neil-smith-to-a-one-year-contract.html

Another link on how it was done and the bs punishment.  The NFL did not want to look silly on all this and their flailing at the time of a QB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Really? That surprises me honestly. Al Davis was forever hot about it.

Really there is a lot of digging you can get into on this. They signed Davis and Elway really cheap. Punishment was a fine and 2 third round picks, which is nothing to get a SB.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/14/revisiting-denvers-cap-penalties-from-the-1990s/

Oh also the Smith signing.... there were others they got too with these restructures that happened.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/15/sports/broncos-sign-neil-smith-to-a-one-year-contract.html

Another link on how it was done and the bs punishment.  The NFL did not want to look silly on all this and their flailing at the time of a QB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

Come to think of it I had heard a little about it... but at the time wasn't really paying attention.  Sure doesn't seem like the league came down on them very hard. Thanks for posting the links.