feather in CJ's cap.. PFF's DPOTY

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/chiefs-dt-chris-jones-named-144538083.html

Chiefs Wire

Chiefs DT Chris Jones named PFF’s Defensive Player of the Year

Charles Goldman
Fri, January 13, 2023 at 8:45 AM CST

Kansas City Chiefs DT Chris Jones earned a Defensive Player of the Year nod from Pro Football Focus in their end-of-season awards following the conclusion of the 2022 regular season.

Jones’ prowess as an interior rusher, but also his versatility helped him surpass the performances of other defenders like Cowboys LB Micah Parsons, 49ers DE Nick Bosa and Browns DE Myles Garrett. Here’s what PFF’s Sam Monson had to say about Jones’ selection:

“While all of the focus has been on the three elite edge rusher seasons, Chris Jones has been every bit as good as an interior force. With 77 total pressures, Jones tallied 14 more than any other interior pass rusher, and he even had snaps where he kicked out to rush around tackles from a true edge alignment at well north of 300 pounds.”

Jones was also named PFF’s “Best Pass Rusher” this season, which is where his ability to rush the passer from an interior alignment truly shined brighter than the rest of the competition.

“Jones tallied the most pressures (77) and the best pass-rush win rate (20.2%) of any interior rusher, with not a single one of his pressures being unblocked. He also had a massive 41 pass-rushing wins that didn’t get a chance to become pressure because the ball was thrown before it could.”

The veteran defensive tackle has been what makes the Chiefs’ defense go this season — and that will again be true during the postseason.

CJ's Salary 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/chris-jones-18985/

Current Contract

Chris Jones signed a 4 year, $80,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including $60,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $20,000,000. In 2023, Jones will earn a base salary of $19,500,000 and a workout bonus of $500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $28,291,668 and a dead cap value of $7,041,667.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $80,000,000 SIGNING BONUS- AVERAGE SALARY$20,000,000 GTD AT SIGN:$37,626,000 TOTAL GTD:$60,000,000 FREE AGENT:2024 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY ROSTER WORKOUT RESTRUCTURE MISC. CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH
2020 Contract details by year 26 $14,626,000 - - $375,000 - $15,001,000 $37,626,000 $16,151,062($16,151,062)  
2021 Contract details by year 27 $1,000,000 - $500,000 $7,041,667 - $8,541,666 $40,749,000 $21,500,000($37,651,062)  
2022 Contract details by year 28 $3,750,000 $18,124,000 $500,000 $7,041,667 - $29,415,667 $36,957,333 $23,624,000($61,275,062)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2023, 3 YR, $61,275,062; $7,041,667 DEAD CAP

2023 Contract details by year 29 $19,500,000 - $500,000 $7,041,668 $1,250,000 $28,291,668 $7,041,667 $20,000,000($81,275,062)

23 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

oh yeah but it is gonna cost them some more $$, keeping CJ may mean we lose someone like Sneed 

Not if he's extended in a way that makes sense.  Veach is a genius at these things.  Jones is too old to get a Clark type trade so yes, the Chiefs need to start working on it as soon as the season ends. 

39 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Not if he's extended in a way that makes sense.  Veach is a genius at these things.  Jones is too old to get a Clark type trade so yes, the Chiefs need to start working on it as soon as the season ends. 

he's going to want to make Aaron Donald $$ + ( 3 year 95M)and AD signed that at 31, hard to say he doesn't deserve it and CJ is  28/29. I'm not so sure that's a Veach kinda deal, 4year $130M is what I'm thinking it'd take

46 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

he's going to want to make Aaron Donald $$ + ( 3 year 95M)and AD signed that at 31, hard to say he doesn't deserve it and CJ is  28/29. I'm not so sure that's a Veach kinda deal, 4year $130M is what I'm thinking it'd take

32M/yr.?  Sounds pretty steep to me.  Guess it would depend on the guarantees, but a contract like that where 1/8 of the cap is tied up in one player is one serious injury from disaster for the team.  

I'd still do it.  We have seem fewer real game changers at DT over the last 10 years than almost any other position.  And CJ is one of them. 

AD

CJ

Fletcher Cox

?

Add to that there have been some top end pass rusher play very well into their 30's.

We can get cap space as needed. Veach will work his magic and the cap hits will be paid up front to be able to get out of the last years of contracts relatively free from cap hits. If he is extended I bet his guarantees are paid up front to allow contracts for those coming up in 2 years.

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

32M/yr.?  Sounds pretty steep to me.  Guess it would depend on the guarantees, but a contract like that where 1/8 of the cap is tied up in one player is one serious injury from disaster for the team.  

He is under contract next year is he not?  Also didn't he (iirc) mention something about Mahomes taking less than he could have to give flexibility to the team?  Thought I remember him saying that and he has definitely seen the benefit of doing it that way.  He is coming off a very lucrative deal which could help us.  I am not suggesting he will be cheap but I could see him allowing us to make him he highest paid DT in league history in the way the contract is worded by including some cutable years.   We can at least hope because unless a team is willing to offer a top 12 pick for him you can't move.

9 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

oh yeah but it is gonna cost them some more $$, keeping CJ may mean we lose someone like Sneed 

This is why its so important not to spend big on non elite players like brown, and looking ahead i would put our linebackers and people like tre smith in this category. Willie gay, bolton, and smith are all fine players, but i dont want to lose chris jones or snead because of them

34 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

He is under contract next year is he not?  Also didn't he (iirc) mention something about Mahomes taking less than he could have to give flexibility to the team?  Thought I remember him saying that and he has definitely seen the benefit of doing it that way.  He is coming off a very lucrative deal which could help us.  I am not suggesting he will be cheap but I could see him allowing us to make him he highest paid DT in league history in the way the contract is worded by including some cutable years.   We can at least hope because unless a team is willing to offer a top 12 pick for him you can't move.

Didn't he also hold out from TC because Clark got the big contract and Jones wanted a bigger deal?  Not saying he won't give the Chiefs a reasonable demand, but I don't see him giving a home team discount of any size.  Hill loved Mahomes and playing here until someone offered more.