2023 Salary Cap

On 1/30/2023 at 11:02 PM, mex said:

Wondering where that puts us next year? We gotta pay Jones... I don't keep up with this stuff so could someone put it into perspective?

We save about 21 million cutting Clark and paying Jones will save just as much since his cap hit is 28 million next year. There'll be enough money to go around and I'm not even putting Mahomes into the equation. If they tag OBJ that's the only cap we need to allocate and the rest will likely be backloaded deals with not much of an impact in 2023. 

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

We save about 21 million cutting Clark and paying Jones will save just as much since his cap hit is 28 million next year. There'll be enough money to go around and I'm not even putting Mahomes into the equation. If they tag Jones that's the only cap we need to allocate and the rest will likely be backloaded deals with not much of an impact in 2023. 

Why tag Jones?  He's under contract for next year already, if you read that list, he would be #1,2,3 if he was going to be a free agent.

22 hours ago, kkuenn said:

4. DI JAVON HARGRAVE, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Hargrave moved from western Pennsylvania over to the East Coast during 2020 free agency and has been a force in Philadelphia, blossoming into one of the elite interior pass-rushers in the NFL over the past few seasons. Since 2020, Hargrave’s 92.2 pass-rush grade trails only Aaron Donald and Chris Jones at the position, with his 18.8% pass-rush win rate also ranking third. 

Hargrave will be 30 years old for the 2023 season, but we’ve seen many interior defenders maintain longevity well into their 30s recently. Hargrave is also intriguing, as different responsibilities between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have led to interesting splits as a run defender or pass rusher. His run-defense grades were much better in his first stop, but it seems he can excel at whatever is asked of him, which is good to know for interested teams that likely don’t frequently deploy a five-man front and do a lot of the other exotic things Philadelphia does up front

11. DI DARON PAYNE, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Payne showed early in his NFL career that he could be a stout run defender from the nose tackle position, with his 86 defensive stops against the run the most in the NFL from 2018-20. And he has now continued to build on his pass-rush arsenal to the point where he’s a problem for interior offensive linemen trying to keep their quarterback upright. Payne has 95 quarterback pressures since the start of 2021, 10th most among interior defenders, with his 11.8% pass-rush win rate over the same span a very respectable figure on the inside.

Payne still needs to put all his tools together for a complete season where he’s a positive factor in both facets, and he’s shown he has the talent to do just that.

29. OT KALEB MCGARY, ATLANTA FALCONS

McGary, a first-round pick in 2019, had his fifth-year option declined for 2023 and responded with a career year that sets him up nicely. The Falcons may consider a franchise tag, but the approximately $18.25 million price may be too rich in their eyes. 

McGary’s 91.6 run-blocking grade ranked second among tackles, trailing only the great Trent Williams, with 19.7% of his run-blocking snaps earning a positive grade, which also placed second best. The concern here will be if he’s a beneficiary of the NFL’s run-heaviest offense and if his 66.9 pass-blocking grade — a career best — can continue to improve in years to come.  

Get a couple from here or there and go into the draft loaded knowing what we need for starters orndepth/development.

Just a few of the list I would look at. Hargrave for a few years as we them detract and develop behind him and Jones. The LT from atlanta intrigues me. There is quite a few S we could look at here and even a RT 9. OT MIKE MCGLINCHEY, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS.

I agree that the first 3 you listed would be intriguing, but imo McGlinchey is crap. Everyone knows how i feel about orlando brown, so I don’t say this lightly, I think brown is significantly better than mcglinchey. Every 49ers game i watch i think he is the weak link on the team.

Extending Jones can save us around 15 mill. Releasing Clark another 20. Restructuring Mahomes another 30. With existing space that puts us at close to 80. Franchising Brown will knock that back down to 60 ish.

And for those who think we are just going to let Brown walk, you are dreaming. He hasn't been good enough to command the extension he wants. But the Chiefs aren't going into next season as possible SB favorites with a LT who's never played an NFL game. 

I'm not saying I want him here as our LT. I don't. I'm saying he's going to either be our LT on day 1 playing on the tag, or he will get transition tagged and traded to a team like the Chicago Bears who have a boatload of money, picks, and an obvious connection between our front offices. This way they could agree on compensation less than 2 first rounders.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I agree that the first 3 you listed would be intriguing, but imo McGlinchey is crap. Everyone knows how i feel about orlando brown, so I don’t say this lightly, I think brown is significantly better than mcglinchey. Every 49ers game i watch i think he is the weak link on the team.

Right tackle, better than wiley?