Injury Thread

I saw an article saying that a bug is passing around the locker room...

Chris Jones has a sore throat and congestion and it said a few other players too. It was on MSN so I did not take it too seriously, but maybe there is something to it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chiefs-dt-chris-jones-under-the-weather-ahead-of-super-bowl-lvii/ar-AA17gIrt

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Kelce in his interview right now has the sniffles and sounds congested 

Well, the players go to these Superbowl week clubs to meet up with old Chiefs stars and all the spouses, friends, and hangers-on and do two hour podcasts from these places as part of the hoopla.  And this is done in February after flying on a plane.  What do they expect?  This is a "catching a cold" hurricane scenario.  If a team is smart, these kinds of events should be kept to a minimum.  I know the media and money want to whip the thing up as much as possible, but a team bent on actually winning the damned game would keep the players more isolated all week.  You all know this is true. Coaches want their players to have memorable and fun experiences and memories and don't want to discourage that.  But they get colds from it.  They ought to call it the "Viral Bowl."

4 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Well, the players go to these Superbowl week clubs to meet up with old Chiefs stars and all the spouses, friends, and hangers-on and do two hour podcasts from these places as part of the hoopla.  And this is done in February after flying on a plane.  What do they expect?  This is a "catching a cold" hurricane scenario.  If a team is smart, these kinds of events should be kept to a minimum.  I know the media and money want to whip the thing up as much as possible, but a team bent on actually winning the damned game would keep the players more isolated all week.  You all know this is true. Coaches want their players to have memorable and fun experiences and memories and don't want to discourage that.  But they get colds from it.  They ought to call it the "Viral Bowl."

altho I agree I do believe the NFL has  certain "requirements'  for public appearances as well

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

altho I agree I do believe the NFL has  certain "requirements'  for public appearances as well

Obviously, I listened to that podcast from that nightclub in Phoenix, with all the crowd whooping it up and mingling and yelling.  I would guess a few "beverages" were  passed around, too.  Neil Smith and Christian Okoye and other former players were revelling with everyone. With the yelling, it was probably a viral fog in there.  I enjoyed it but also thought about how many would come down with colds a few days later. By game time, I would bet that 30% of both teams are going to be a bit under the weather. Unpredictable outcomes and poorer than expected performances should be expected.  The great equalizer.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

It's been mentioned this morning on the Radio  these sniffles/congestion etc are more a symptom of change in environment that actual illness

The junipers are in bloom down here... there is a lot of pollen in the air. That could be some of it. *Hoping*