Alex Smith

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All things considered, I think Smith had his best game as a Chiefs yesterday.

And the neat thing is I've heard that at least twice (plus one right here) this season from someone other than me regarding other (non-playoff) games. Not saying it's true, just observations.

It's true he has good concentration and a will to win. I think Andy needs to give him more shots down the field these next 3 games. He could really rack up the numbers. I think there's something to be said about practicing on those deep balls. If we continue to run the ball consistently the way we do then that opens a whole world play action passes.

Fuck that. When Alex learns to throw the deep shots to very open receivers (Jenkins TWICE) then I'll say he had a nice game. Plodding down the field is great and all, but he's gotta take the big chunks when they are there for the taking.

It's true he has good concentration and a will to win. I think Andy needs to give him more shots down the field these next 3 games. He could really rack up the numbers. I think there's something to be said about practicing on those deep balls. If we continue to run the ball consistently the way we do then that opens a whole world play action passes.

Andy's failure to use the play action is appalling given how well this team runs the ball. The entire reason you run the football in the NFL is to set up play action....

Fuck that. When Alex learns to throw the deep shots to very open receivers (Jenkins TWICE) then I'll say he had a nice game. Plodding down the field is great and all, but he's gotta take the big chunks when they are there for the taking.

They are very reactive to the game situation and conservative. Very open is subjective, as what you see as very open may be different than I see or Smith sees. Sometimes it looks open to us because we imagine the speed of the ball and reaction time of the defenders. Reality is different, both for us and the QB. Either of us could be wrong. The QB has a different vantage point and pressure. I'd have to see the plays again. The article above shows that the announcer picked the wrong guy for Smith to take the shot. Kelce is the man, not Jenkins.

Decisions are made based upon how fast the QB can get it there, how fast the receiver is, how likely a receiver will adjust or fight for a ball, reliability (drops) vs. the more sure thing (underneath and YAC), the chemistry/reps, and the speed of the defenders. Yes, those are all excuses and reasons for lack of shots.

The problem with playing to game situations is that the defense knows your tendencies and the game situation - whether you need to press. Unpredictability, balance (run/pass or short/intermediate/deep), and opportunistic mixed with a little bit of smart, feel, and risk assessment. Go overboard on any of these and you are too hesitant or too gunslingerish. Smith's arm is ok but if he took some shots that requires more velocity than he has, it's a dumb decision. But he needs to trust it more.

The point of the article was that Smith did take a shot when you game dictated it. He didn't take the safe 5 yard run out of bounds. Of course, you are right, they have to take the shot of times. We might not of had that opportunity later.

Nope. "Plodding down the field" was a great strategy in the SD game. Time of possession was a huge part of winning that game. Mostly that meant running, but short passes that kept the clock running were part of it, too. Anybody that faults Alex Smith in that game is just looking for something negative.  

You want to rag on WRs for drops and stepping out of bounds, that's another story, but Alex was fine.

Nope. "Plodding down the field" was a great strategy in the SD game. Time of possession was a huge part of winning that game. Mostly that meant running, but short passes that kept the clock running were part of it, too. Anybody that faults Alex Smith in that game is just looking for something negative.

You want to rag on WRs for drops and stepping out of bounds, that's another story, but Alex was fine.

There is a difference between a nice game versus a great game. Maybe we have a different definition of nice than Crow has.

**** that. When Alex learns to throw the deep shots to very open receivers (Jenkins TWICE) then I'll say he had a nice game. Plodding down the field is great and all, but he's gotta take the big chunks when they are there for the taking.

Like the deep shots Kaepernick took (and missed) in a 32-point blowout (before Blaine Gabbert cut the lead to 25 points) against Denver this past weekend?

Since week one, in 2:48:24 of possession time by the Chiefs' opponents, the Chiefs' defense has given up 119 points. That calculates to 0.7 points per minute allowed. In 3:11:34 of possession time by the Chargers' opponents, the Chargers' defense has given up 116 points, or 0.6 points per minute allowed. The Chargers' defense has outplayed the Chiefs' defense. Therefore, the logic in ball control that ends with points while resting the defense defeats the logic recommending the big play. If the Chiefs' offense could control possession for 39 minutes without a turnover, and their defense could manage to give up 20 points in 21 minutes, I'd hate to see what would have happened if a big play leading to a Chiefs' touchdown left the Chiefs' defense on the field for 30 minutes.

No thanks. We'll take the cerebral quarterback that makes the plays needed to win the game, and you can take the mercurial passing runningback.

When the Chiefs had 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and less than a yard in the Niners game, I would have liked to have seen a little more plodding and a little less throwing down field.   :D

Alex Smith had a good game because that's what he is -- a B- QB.  He's conservative.  He's a caretaker, not a play maker.

He has no interest in throwing deep because he doesn't want to risk an INT and he knows he has little zip on a deep throw.  We saw versus TEN what happens when he forces deep throws.  They float as if they are helium balloons.  He's a short to intermediate passer between the hashes. This is why he grades in the middle of the pack by any statistical measure I know of. 

If you want a great QB who hits the bomb, you better look elsewhere. Sunday's win was great, but its hardly as if Al led a prolific Elway/Montana/Marino game winning drive.  We won by a 48 yard FG.  Good enough, barely.  Just like Al.

I can't believe we are still debating this.  Every time he wins, team TFal runs screaming, "See?  I told you so."  I'm not impressed.

Chiefs WRs do drop a lot of Alex Smith's passes

Colin Kaepernick's had 7.1% of his passes dropped this season, 4th most in NFL. Alex Smith's had the most at 9.6%. #49ers #Niners #Chiefs

— Gary Althiser (@NFLGary) October 20, 2014

He's also the most accurate quarterback, according to PFF.

Alex Smith had a good game because that's what he is -- a B- QB. He's conservative. He's a caretaker, not a play maker.

He has no interest in throwing deep because he doesn't want to risk an INT and he knows he has little zip on a deep throw. We saw versus TEN what happens when he forces deep throws. They float as if they are helium balloons. He's a short to intermediate passer between the hashes. This is why he grades in the middle of the pack by any statistical measure I know of.

If you want a great QB who hits the bomb, you better look elsewhere. Sunday's win was great, but its hardly as if Al led a prolific Elway/Montana/Marino game winning drive. We won by a 48 yard FG. Good enough, barely. Just like Al.

I can't believe we are still debating this. Every time he wins, team TFal runs screaming, "See? I told you so." I'm not impressed.

We saw what happens when we don't have a receiver that will fight for a ball, one that will let the ball bounce off his hands or turn inwards when he's supposed to go outwards. I won't argue that Smith has velocity on his throws, but those INTs were not all on him or all about velocity. He's hit those type passes before and they didn't require that velocity. Those aren't good examples of lack of velocity affecting the play.

Now, if he were actually throwing really deep on those throws or the windows were tighter than they were, then, yeah, he doesn't have it. I still put blame on him for those plays, but it wasn't a velocity issue. It wasn't so much forcing deep throws, it was forcing any throw to a receiver he shouldn't be forcing it to - force it to Bowe, not Avery. Avery is a fall down, stutter step, slow down at the wrong time receiver and not that big. With Bowe there, those passes could be the same depth and velocity and not picked, even if that meant that the passes were still to Avery but more open due to Bowe drawing defenders. He HAS made deep passes to Vernon Davis in tighter windows and with more velocity before. He's not reliable, but his arm strength issues are overstated by some (not saying you).

It's not barely good enough. It's good enough or it's not. You win or you don't. We did win against San Diego. We didn't win the playoff game. Good enough and not. When our team is better as a unit, that good enough level fluctuates. Smith doesn't need elite, but he needs good enough and a good coach who will put him in the right situation. He will rest the defense, get a lead so they can be aggressive, and check out of pass plays for run plays because of his intelligence. It doesn't mean he's great, just smart. He has good enough talent with an above average intelligence.

But no, no one should come screaming I told you so for this last game. That's ridiculous. Repeat the Niners-Saints game in the playoffs against the Pats or Broncos and I'd say that was ok to be happy. Then, he'd need to repeat it.

He's a dink and dunk game manager. His receivers didn't help him at all last game. Bowe dropped a dink. Hemmingway dropped a dunk but we got the W against a rival on the road. I'll take it. He is the epitome of an average NFL QB. I'll never call him terrible.

That's a really stupid condescending term. He's more than that and less than great.

Gaah! I hate that term. "Game manager" - it was a derogatory term used to downgrade Smith and now it's caught on. It also downgrades other QBs, too. It's not that it is wholly inaccurate. It's that it originated as an insult, an explanation for why Smith was doing well here by those who were his critics. I'm not saying the term was made for Smith, but rather the connection of that word to him was made by those who in the media felt he could not win at the NFL level. Jamie Dukes, etc. People then repeat it, sometimes not intending the insult.

I'm fine with saying he's an average QB. In fact, I won't argue too much (just state my disagreement) with those who say mediocre. But, no offense, I f***ing hate the game manager moniker. It's condescending and by definition leaves no room for any credit/worth as a QB. I'd rather people just say he sucks or is a bust. I'd disagree, but then those who didn't agree wouldn't accept it. People accept the game manager moniker because they don't realize it's an insult. (So is bust, but people recognize that as an insult and will chime in if they disagree.)

Aaron Rodgers says the term is condescending and that Smith is more than that.

As far as being a dink and dunk QB, he's a west coast offense QB. He should take more shots than he does, but the fact that he throws a lot of dinks and dunks is attributable to the system he runs and that's why Reid picked him. It's Reid's system and Smith's smart. Sure, a stronger arm and opening up more is desired, but it's not so specific to Smith.

In fact, ALL QBs throw MOST (overwhelmingly) throws to behind the line of scrimmage to 5-9 yards out. Take a look: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/pass-atlas-a-map-of-where-nfl-quarterbacks-throw-the-ball/

Again, I do agree he should go deeper at times. Smart risks are important, just pointing out that we are looking at a smaller percentage of throws that most QBs have little of. If defenders didn't respect any deep throws, Smith would take more and if dinks and dunks were all, they'd stop it. It does limit and he should open up, but overstating is easy.

BTW, I think he's above average and as he gets older, he'll need to compensate to stay above average because of a soon to be declining physical abilities (mobility) and his arm strength isn't getting any better. He is smart and he will get more comfortable and mastering of the offense as time goes on - he knows it and I'm not laying that excuse, I'm just saying that these things might extend his effectiveness as he ages.

He sure seems like a game manager to me.

How bout, an Andy Reid Offensive Execution Manager??

Let's see:

1. He doesn't take what many consider "risky" shots downfield...even it's open

2. His only real checkdowns at the LOS are: A run play, or a WR Screen

3. When the pocket breaks down, even a little bit, he pisses his pants and either runs or throws it out of bounds. (Never stands tall in the pocket and delivers)

I;'m not saying AS11 is a bad QB, as a matter of fact, I think he is the right man for the job at this time for this offense.

However, If that's not a Game Manager, I don't what you call it...

If the shoe fits.....

Archived