Alex Smith

The grass is almost always greener on the other side. I am content with Alex Smith. He is much better than I anticipated he would be for the Chiefs when they traded for him.

The QBR ratings are about as interesting as fantasy points to me. I would not take Tony Romo over many of those lower than him on the ranking, and that does include Alex Smith.

Romo melts under pressure and can't stay healthy. He is NOT what we want in KC.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think I was promoting Romo, then look again. I definitely do not want him in KC. We have our QB of the present and future.

Didn't say you did. Simply stating that most think the name represents a nfl star, when in actuality he's not. Alex is easily a top ten qb in this league. Workman like equals consistent winner.

No he isn't .  Not really even close.  in no particular order here's an easy ten...

Joe Flacco

Ben Rothlisberger

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Drew Brees

Aaron Rogers

Russell Wilson

Phillip Rivers

Andrew Luck

Those are definites.  Here's some that are arguable.

Matthew Stafford

Matt Ryan

Jay Cutler

Tony Romo

Cam Newton

Personally, I'd take Stafford and Ryan any day.

No he isn't . Not really even close. in no particular order here's an easy ten...

Joe Flacco

Ben Rothlisberger

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Drew Brees

Aaron Rogers

Russell Wilson

Phillip Rivers

Andrew Luck

Those are definites. Here's some that are arguable.

Matthew Stafford

Matt Ryan

Jay Cutler

Tony Romo

Cam Newton

Personally, I'd take Stafford and Ryan any day.

Classic in your opinion List. Just like your rb's list who are not better than knile. On this list at this time, no way is Eli manning or flacco better. No way. Everyone else is better. For you to even put romo or cutler on a list makes your credibility melt. But you like to fight and argue, and rant, and rave and make your point the only the point. Alex smith is a top ten qb in the league right now at this point in time.

Alex smith is a top ten qb in the league right now at this point in time.

And the unarguable truth is that right now is the only time that actually exists or will ever exist. Alex Smith is currently a top ten QB. Not only that, but for the Chiefs system, personnel, and coaching, I would put him in the top three.

I agree..he runs this offense at this time to near perfection.

There were a couple of passes, one to Bowe and another to Jenkins, that would have been touchdowns or close, but it was obvious that the receiver in both cases broke in a different way than was planned, and the passes were not where the receiver was supposed to be. Had the receivers been where they were supposed to be, the stats on this game and a lot of the comments would have been a little different. You could see the look on Smith's face in both cases. Sort of a non-blaming, non embarrassed kind of "shit" look that was very brief and returned to the "forget it, and let's move on to the next play" kind of look. He is a calm general out there. A non-blaming, let's-stick-to-the-task-at-hand" guy who doesn't let misfortune alter the course of action. I cannot think of a better guy to have leading this team.

Classic in your opinion List. Just like your rb's list who are not better than knile. On this list at this time, no way is Eli manning or flacco better. No way. Everyone else is better. For you to even put romo or cutler on a list makes your credibility melt. But you like to fight and argue, and rant, and rave and make your point the only the point. Alex smith is a top ten qb in the league right now at this point in time.

Funny he mentions Wilson. I like Russell Wilson too, but his stats are nearly identical to Alex Smith this year. They were fairly close last year as well. Seattle has the better receivers by a large margin. 

In your opinion.  Do you watch other teams play?  

You can't be as conservative as Al and be top ten.  He IS a game manager in the classic definition of the phrase.  You have to make plays down field to be top ten.  Especially when the game is on the line.

Joe Flacco makes those plays.  Eli Manning makes those plays.  His team is struggling, but he is light years better than Al and it is proven by the two rings on his fingers.  

Al's major accomplishment as a Chief was his "epic" drive for a 48 yard FG to beat SD.

Any of those other QB could run their offense as Al runs his.  Their teams count on them to do more.  Other teams gear up to stop them from doing it.  No one game plans to stop Al.  There is no need.

You can disregard stats as much as you want.  But by all statistical measures I've seen he is mediocre.  By what my eyes see, I'll bump him to B-.  

And the unarguable truth is that right now is the only time that actually exists or will ever exist. Alex Smith is currently a top ten QB. Not only that, but for the Chiefs system, personnel, and coaching, I would put him in the top three.

Lunacy.

Right now, "in the only time that actually exists" :rolleyes:, the Chiefs passing game is irrelevant.  So by your standard, regardless of his circumstance, how can Al be top 3 or even top ten?  

Right now, "in the only time that actually exists" :rolleyes:, the Chiefs passing game is irrelevant.  So by your standard, regardless of his circumstance, how can Al be top 3 or even top ten?

Mongo, this isn't really all that important. I like him. I believe he is the perfect fit for our current roster and system, that's all. No big deal. Others feel differently, including you. So, what? We are all entitled to our opinions, I think.

BTW, it is ALWAYS right now. Always. Let me know the instant it is not right now. I have never experienced that. It would be fascinating.

In your opinion. Do you watch other teams play?

You can't be as conservative as Al and be top ten. He IS a game manager in the classic definition of the phrase. You have to make plays down field to be top ten. Especially when the game is on the line.

Joe Flacco makes those plays. Eli Manning makes those plays. His team is struggling, but he is light years better than Al and it is proven by the two rings on his fingers.

Al's major accomplishment as a Chief was his "epic" drive for a 48 yard FG to beat SD.

Any of those other QB could run their offense as Al runs his. Their teams count on them to do more. Other teams gear up to stop them from doing it. No one game plans to stop Al. There is no need.

You can disregard stats as much as you want. But by all statistical measures I've seen he is mediocre. By what my eyes see, I'll bump him to B-.

What I don't understand is if what Alex Smith is doing is really easy, why aren't other people doing it? Why isn't Eli Manning doing that? If they can rest their defense, have a high completion percentage, get yards after the catch, and control the clock, why don't they? Charles helps a lot, but he isn't the whole thing. If it is the running back, why don't they draft some?

It seems pretty stupid to not do something that's pretty easy and successful but instead try to do something that is not working even if they have the capability. It's like seeing someone (legally) run around a track and field hurdle and you try to jump over hurdles just because you could (but could also miss). It slows you down. You can even shorten the hurdles by doing what Alex Smith does.

Before you say that a quarterback needs to be able to go deep, and make the defense stay honest, this is not exclusive of that. If Manning has the capability of throwing deep, he could still run a smart offense and then take some shots, more than Smith. It seems win-win, why aren't others doing it?

What I don't understand is if what Alex Smith is doing is really easy, why aren't other people doing it? Why isn't Eli Manning doing that? If they can rest their defense, have a high completion percentage, get yards after the catch, and control the clock, why don't they? Charles helps a lot, but isn't whole thing. If it is the running back, why don't they drop some?

It seems pretty stupid to not do something that's pretty easy and successful but instead trying to do something that is not working even if they have the capability. It's like seeing someone (legally) run around a track and field hurdle and you try to jump over hurdles just because you could (but could also miss). It slows you down. You can even shorten the hurdles by doing what Alex Smith does.

Before you say that a quarterback needs to be able to go deep, and make the defense stay honest, this is not exclusive of that. If Manning has the capability of throwing deep, he could still run a smart offense and then take some shots, more than Smith. It seems win-win, why aren't others doing it?

That's a fair question and one that is difficult to answer.  Why don't teams cram it down the Chiefs' throat with their running game?  MIA was having success with it and for no apparent reason abandoned it.  Maybe they are caught up in liberalized passing rules.  When a DB can't touch a guy during his route and can't crush the guy when he tries to catch it, it seems to be the way to go.

Perhaps we glorify these football coaches too much.  We let our love of the game cloud our judgement.  Because the NFL is a multi-million dollar industry, we trust that these are exceptionally intelligent people making these decisions.  We throw around labels like "genius" especially if they employ a "sophisticated" passing attack.  They coach a game.  

I'm old school.  I like demoralizing the opponent with the running game and strong defense.  I'm fine with how Al plays and what the Chiefs are doing.  Just don't tell me Al is "easily a top ten QB" when he clearly isn't.  The system the Chiefs are running doesn't need one.  And that's okay.

What I don't understand is if what Alex Smith is doing is really easy, why aren't other people doing it? Why isn't Eli Manning doing that? If they can rest their defense, have a high completion percentage, get yards after the catch, and control the clock, why don't they? Charles helps a lot, but he isn't the whole thing. If it is the running back, why don't they draft some?

It seems pretty stupid to not do something that's pretty easy and successful but instead try to do something that is not working even if they have the capability. It's like seeing someone (legally) run around a track and field hurdle and you try to jump over hurdles just because you could (but could also miss). It slows you down. You can even shorten the hurdles by doing what Alex Smith does.

Its the "wow" factor. The stat mongers who find indicators compelling and then calculate them to "rate" QB's really love those bombers. But like you, I believe that QB's are better rated by their teams winning percentages over the years. What are those percentages? The point of football or any other sport is to win the game. The only stat that matters is the winning percentage. The Chiefs are 15-8 under Alex Smith, and that is spending all last year without Travis Kelce or the Knile Davis who doesn't fumble or DAT and with a rookie RT last year who is now essentially a rookie LT. To you and me and others on this forum, the features that determine the quality of a QB are the features that Len Dawson describes in the article about Smith in today's K.C. Star. I trust Lenny and agree with him about Alex Smith and the remarks of Kelce and others on the team. He understands and executes to absolute perfection the West Coast system of Andy Reid. He can read and communicate to his offense with a wink, everyone knows exacty what is going to happen. There is nobody in football who can do what he does in that system. Maybe PM would. He is described by his teammates as "The Big Chill". He keeps everyone cool. His throws are sometimes not perfect usually because he is MAKING them not perfect for the defense to steal either. Reminds me of Dawson's nickname, "Lenny the Cool." No wonder Dawson is in awe of Smith.

To hell with the statisticians and those who follow their ratings. I know how I rate him, and it begins in the W-L column.

What I don't understand is if what Alex Smith is doing is really easy, why aren't other people doing it? Why isn't Eli Manning doing that?

NYG went to a West Coast system this year.  They hired Bob McAdoo from GB.  They struggled early, as you'd expect.  WCO doesn't happen overnight.  The first game I saw Eli was running it to perfection -- one, two, stop and throw.  He was brilliant.  I thought, "Wow, he looks like his brother.  NYG could be dangerous."  The next game I saw him holding the ball too long.  Go figure.

Its the "wow" factor. The stat mongers who find indicators compelling and then calculate them to "rate" QB's really love those bombers. But like you, I believe that QB's are better rated by their teams winning percentages over the years. What are those percentages? The point of football or any other sport is to win the game. The only stat that matters is the winning percentage. The Chiefs are 15-8 under Alex Smith, and that is spending all last year without Travis Kelce or the Knile Davis who doesn't fumble or DAT and with a rookie RT last year who is now essentially a rookie LT. To you and me and others on this forum, the features that determine the quality of a QB are the features that Len Dawson describes in the article about Smith in today's K.C. Star. I trust Lenny and agree with him about Alex Smith and the remarks of Kelce and others on the team. He understands and executes to absolute perfection the West Coast system of Andy Reid. He can read and communicate to his offense with a wink, everyone knows exacty what is going to happen. There is nobody in football who can do what he does in that system. Maybe PM would. He is described by his teammates as "The Big Chill". He keeps everyone cool. His throws are sometimes not perfect usually because he is MAKING them not perfect for the defense to steal either. Reminds me of Dawson's nickname, "Lenny the Cool." No wonder Dawson is in awe of Smith.

To hell with the statisticians and those who follow their ratings. I know how I rate him, and it begins in the W-L column.

I don't agree that a QB should be measured solely in W and L.  It's a team game.  No other player gets a free pass if their team sucks.  Aeneas Williams, CB, rightfully made the HOF even though the teams he played for sucked.

A QB can have a great influence in a team's W/L pct.  Then again they may not.  Wins and losses, rings and the like should be used the same way scouts use a 40 time.  It's a measure to separate those of similar ability.  Alex Smith's 5-3 record doesn't make him better than Philip Rivers at 5-4.  It doesn't make him just as good as Aaron Rodgers.

I don't agree that a QB should be measured solely in W and L. It's a team game. No other player gets a free pass if their team sucks. Aeneas Williams, CB, rightfully made the HOF even though the teams he played for sucked.

A QB can have a great influence in a team's W/L pct. Then again they may not. Wins and losses, rings and the like should be used the same way scouts use a 40 time. It's a measure to separate those of similar ability. Alex Smith's 5-3 record doesn't make him better than Philip Rivers at 5-4. It doesn't make him just as good as Aaron Rodgers.

I have seen it both ways, where people overvalue team records and where people ignore Smith's contributions, explaining them away. The defense has great personnel, but they look even better than they could look when they are not on the field that long. They can also be more aggressive when they have a lead and when the other team goes one-dimensional to catch up. Our R unningbacks are great, but they can look better than they are in the quarterback knows went to check into running place from a pass call. They also get to run more often when we have a lead.

This is what got me to talk about the one or two yard touchdown passes. I see other quarterbacks doing that and often they're not very hard throws. Sometimes they are harder and you can't depend upon them being easy, but I've seen really easy to yard touchdown passes. Sometimes the credit should go to the play callers and play designers, not the quarterback, but yet the quarterback gets the credit and Smith doesn't when he hands it off.

Archived