McDuffie

McDuffie was a great pick and has played very well, but I wonder if the comparison of stats when McDuffie was out vs. when he played is influenced by the fact that Williams and Watson played much better with experience in the second half of the season.  Not taking away from McDuffie, but the other rookies improved all season long. 

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

McDuffie was a great pick and has played very well, but I wonder if the comparison of stats when McDuffie was out vs. when he played is influenced by the fact that Williams and Watson played much better with experience in the second half of the season.  Not taking away from McDuffie, but the other rookies improved all season long. 

I'm sure it's a combination but Williams and Watson are more match and gameplan specific corners at this point with Williams better in man and Watson better in zone.  McDuffie can do both and blitz ala Sneed.  He's probably going to be the reason we don't pay Sneed.

McDuffie is badass. I was really impressed when he went up directly against Chase in the 1st meeting with Cinnci. Chase basically had to keep pushing off to get separation from him. If he had better hands he would have had about 3 int's in a shortened season. 

Love McDuffie. We are quietly building a very good backfield. It would be great to see Cook take a step next year because he looks like he could be a stud. I don't want to lose Snead after next year, but we are getting in a better position to let it happen. 

Williams is pretty handsy which works well in the playoffs. I think Watson ends up bringing better in the long run, but they are both exciting prospects.

14 hours ago, Boone said:

Many were clamoring for Jermaine Johnson when KC traded up. Glad we took McD instead. 

The one area this regime has been very successful with is the secondary. Both the scouting and the coaching seem to be there. A lot fewer misses than solid hits. 

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

Love McDuffie. We are quietly building a very good backfield. It would be great to see Cook take a step next year because he looks like he could be a stud. I don't want to lose Snead after next year, but we are getting in a better position to let it happen. 

Williams is pretty handsy which works well in the playoffs. I think Watson ends up bringing better in the long run, but they are both exciting prospects.

Yes!

If we can get a solid DE and another solid rotational DT, I think this defense will move up into the top 10 rankings. 

3 hours ago, artsy said:

Yes!

If we can get a solid DE and another solid rotational DT, I think this defense will move up into the top 10 rankings. 

It may be time to replace Thornhill.  He hasn't lived up to his rookie promise and he'll get expensive next season.  If the Chiefs can find a second day safety in the draft, they may let some other team pay Thornhill.  Hate to see starters leave, but that's how the Chiefs can remain on top within the salary cap.  I'd try to extend Jones and Sneed this spring rather than letting them hit FA.  Keep Saunders as well.  This defense is only a couple of players from being good. 

57 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Have we ever had a better set of CBs on the overall depth chart? We've had some good/great ones but 4 deep?

Yeeaaa, I'm not sure we should be "crowning" them quite yet. However, I do think they're on the way. I personally believe that a lot of the success of THIS years defense has been the Xs and Os....

I.e., Mr. Steve Spags.

But, you do have to have the Jimmys and Joes too, so yea If they can get a DE that can give them a good 10-12 sacks per year, I think they're on the way to being possibly an ELITE secondary.

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

In the days of Lewis and Ross, two CBs were all that were needed.  There weren't as many nickel or dime formations in their day.  

The point of my post was not the best CB tandem but the overall CB room. Lewis and Ross are tough to top. McDuffie and Sneed are heading in the right direction but McDuffie missed time and Sneed pretty much missed the whole AFCCG and our bench held one of the best WR tandems in check. And though there weren't as many nickel & dimes back in the day, CBs were allowed to maul WRs. Nowadays CBs can't even look at WRs the wrong way.  

25 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yeeaaa, I'm not sure we should be "crowning" them quite yet. However, I do think they're on the way. I personally believe that a lot of the success of THIS years defense has been the Xs and Os....

I.e., Mr. Steve Spags.

But, you do have to have the Jimmys and Joes too, so yea If they can get a DE that can give them a good 10-12 sacks per year, I think they're on the way to being possibly an ELITE secondary.

X & Os are great but you have to have pure athletic ability to run with and defend these elite WRs without being able to even breathe on them without getting PI. And these guys will come up & tackle. 

11 hours ago, Joe_Chief said:

Best CB pair?  Dale Carter and James Hasty.  Hasty was a mean dude!

and he was Deon Sanders fast..even played offense and caught TD. SOOOOO many times you could just seem him bait a Qb  into throwing his was only to make a great play.  If he'd of kept his nose clean he'd of been an HOFr

16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

and he was Deon Sanders fast..even played offense and caught TD. SOOOOO many times you could just seem him bait a Qb  into throwing his was only to make a great play.  If he'd of kept his nose clean he'd of been an HOFr

Carter was a all world athlete with half a brain.  IIRC, in his first game, preseason, he fielded a kick and stepped into the field of play and then retreated and took a knee in the end zone for a safety.  Can't deny that he made some great plays, but he was so frustrating.