NFL Mock drafts site

kkuenn

2nd is to high but I like the idea of getting a TE. Laporta will surprise if given the right chance on a good team.

https://sportsnaut.com/kansas-city-chiefs-mock-draft-2023/

Second round, 63rd overall: Sam LaPorta, tight end, Iowa

Syndication: The Tennessean George Walker IV / Tennessean.com / USA TODAY NETWORK

While there might be more pressing Chiefs draft needs to address in Round 2, this might be an opportunity Kansas City can’t pass on. Travis Kelce will be 34 years old in October and there will come a time when either he retires or there is a steep drop in his effectiveness. The Chiefs need to prepare for that now and there are a lot of benefits to using 2TE sets.

Related: 2023 NFL Draft tight end rankings

Sam LaPorta was stuck on one of the worst offenses in college football over the last two seasons, but he still managed consecutive years with 600-plus receiving yards and 50-plus receptions. He also comes from an Iowa Hawkeyes program that has sent T.J. Hockenson, Noah Fant and George Kittle to the NFL.

Standing at 6-foot-3, LaPorta is an outstanding athlete with a Relative Athletic Score (9.27) that compares to Kittle and Evan Engram. There’s enough potential for him as a run blocker to be a standard in-line tight end, but his bigger impact comes with the ability to create yards after the catch. He could learn from Kelce and function as a high-end No.2. tight end in Kansas City.

Kansas City Chiefs mock draft 2023: 7-round projection

• 1st Round, 31st overall: Will McDonald IV, EDGE, Iowa State
  • 2nd Round, 63rd overall: Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa
  • 3rd Round, 95th overall: Jordan Battle, S, Alabama
  • 4th Round, 122nd overall: Jalen Moreno-Cooper, WR, Fresno State
  • 4th Round, 134th overall: Jakorian Bennett, CB, Maryland
  • 5th Round, 166th overall: Moro Ojomo, DL, Texas
  • 6th Round, 178th overall: Aidan O’Connell, QB, Purdue
  • 6th Round, 217th overall: Cameron Brown, CB, Ohio State
  • 7th Round, 249th overall: Aubrey Miller Jr., LB, Jackson State
  • 7th Round, 250th overall: Mohamed Ibrahim, RB, Minnesota

2 hours ago, mex said:

If they take a TE before an OT I'm gonna be... mildly inconvenienced.

Well they have Taylor at LT and Niang most likely at RT. Unless a can't miss T is there,  they may look to take one later as a swing type developmental player. This draft can go so many ways with what they know first hand and believe in.

54 minutes ago, mex said:

Picking up James changes all that... big time.

I don't know. If we can get a big, tall and fast receiver type he would be wr1 or wr1A..... with Toney and insurance if Toney does not stay healthy.

12 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I don't know. If we can get a big, tall and fast receiver type he would be wr1 or wr1A..... with Toney and insurance if Toney does not stay healthy.

I would love them to draft a WROTF but would be amazed if they didn’t go OT and EDGE first. 

7 hours ago, mex said:

I would love them to draft a WROTF but would be amazed if they didn’t go OT and EDGE first. 

They really don't have to go ER early. They have Karlaftis and Omenihu to start. They need another complimentary/developmental rusher in the group and probably another cheap vet. Not to say they wouldn't if the value is right, but there are bigger fish to fry than ER so they might just wait it out.

I also wouldn't say OT is an early need for the same reason unless they feel Niang is not a starter and is more of their swing guy. 

Honestly, this is a team with only a couple of glaring weaknesses. Right now, DT and 3rd down back are big ones. WR is a bit on the weak side. Not that those necessarily require early picks either.

Very difficult to predict what Veach will do this year, he has a wide-open slate.

Latest 2 round mscshay draft

Like many other recent mocks, McShay sends a Big-12 EDGE to Kansas City in the first round.

31. Kansas City Chiefs: EDGE, Kansas State

Anudike-Uzomah is a speed rusher who can beat double-teams and pursues the QB with relentless effort. He tallied 19.5 sacks and 30.5 tackles for loss since becoming a starter with the Wildcats in 2021. The Chiefs were second in sacks last season with 55, but much of their production came either from the blitz or Chris Jones on the interior. Adding Anudike-Uzomah to an edge-rush group that already includes George Karlaftis and Charles Omenihu should create a little more balance.

As an aside, I bet the Chiefs take a look at their wide receiver board when they’re on the clock, too. Tennessee’s Jalin Hyatt could be a fun deep-threat addition to this offense.

Then in the second round, McShay goes with a wide receiver for the Chiefs.

63. Kansas City Chiefs, WR Jonathan Mingo, Ole Miss

Let’s close out Round 2 with a vertical route runner for Patrick Mahomes. Mingo ran a 4.46 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, but he tracks the deep ball well and can find his way behind the defense. The Chiefs lost JuJu Smith-Schuster and Mecole Hardman, so they’d be wise to get a talented pass-catcher on Day 2.

Mel Kipers 2 round draft that came out today.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2023-nfl-mock-draft-espn-mel-kiper-will-mcdonald-marvin-mims/

The 2023 NFL draft is just around the corner.

What will the Kansas City Chiefs do in the earliest rounds of the draft is still highly debated by draft analysts. One of the legends of NFL draft media, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr., released an updated two-round mock draft on Tuesday. Kiper gave his latest take on what all 32 teams should do in Round 1 and Round 2, with an intriguing start for Kansas City.

Below you’ll find a quick breakdown and reaction to each pick:

Round 1, Pick 31: Iowa State DE Will McDonald IV

USATSI_17096462.jpg

Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports

The McDonald stat I love most? He had 10 career forced fumbles. He gets to quarterbacks but also understands how to create turnovers. (Will Anderson Jr. had just one forced fumble in his career at Alabama.) McDonald is an explosive player with a high ceiling. The Super Bowl champs could add him to the edge rotation with George Karlaftis and free agent addition Charles Omenihu. As I’ve mentioned before, keep Kansas City in mind for the wideouts in this class.

We’ve already talked about how this prospect would be a big departure from the norm for Steve Spagnuolo. We are seeing some signs that he might be willing to bend on his prototypical edge rusher. However, when players like Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Anton Harrison and Quentin Johnston are still on the board at the time of this selection, it feels like this pick might be a bit of a stretch.

USATSI_19047583.jpg

Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Let’s finish up with a playmaker for the the Chiefs. Mims averaged more than 20 yards per reception in each of the past two seasons. He has a flair for the spectacular, though he had some concentration drops. He ran a 4.38-second 40-yard dash at the combine, so he can blow by almost any cornerback. He wouldn’t have to carry a huge load as a rookie for Kansas City, but there are plenty of open snaps for receivers who can get open.

Outside of Marquez Valdes-Scantling, the Chiefs do seem to lack a field-stretching wide receiver who can consistently win deep. A lot of Mims Jr.’s tape in 2022 was just him running wide-open on a go route. He did show some propensity for the gadget plays and designed touches, but his forte is getting behind defenses with his speed and making them pay.

PARIS JOHNSON JR.
OT Ohio State
Kansas City Chiefs

Projected Trade with Tampa Bay

This would be an incredible move for Kansas City to make. While two tackles are off the board, Paris Johnson Jr. is arguably the most “NFL ready” tackle in the class. While Kansas City has said publicly that Jawaan Taylor is going to switch to left tackle, the addition of Paris Johnson Jr. would probably change that sentiment. On an offensive line that is extremely expensive, having 5 seasons of cost-controlled production would be invaluable. If the Chiefs invest in their bookends for the long term, they will have continued offensive success for the foreseeable future. Johnson has good length, power, and footwork. It would not be surprising if he was the best overall tackle in this class.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2023/04/16/first-round-mock-draft-2-0-chiefs-trade-up-make-bold-selection/5/

42 minutes ago, kkuenn said:
PARIS JOHNSON JR.
OT Ohio State
Kansas City Chiefs

Projected Trade with Tampa Bay

This would be an incredible move for Kansas City to make. While two tackles are off the board, Paris Johnson Jr. is arguably the most “NFL ready” tackle in the class. While Kansas City has said publicly that Jawaan Taylor is going to switch to left tackle, the addition of Paris Johnson Jr. would probably change that sentiment. On an offensive line that is extremely expensive, having 5 seasons of cost-controlled production would be invaluable. If the Chiefs invest in their bookends for the long term, they will have continued offensive success for the foreseeable future. Johnson has good length, power, and footwork. It would not be surprising if he was the best overall tackle in this class.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2023/04/16/first-round-mock-draft-2-0-chiefs-trade-up-make-bold-selection/5/

I'd love to see it, but heads would explode :lol: 

I have seen a lot of polls showing PJ stock dropping a little... so it's not impossible... just wondering what they're thinking we'd need to give up to move to #19?

4 minutes ago, mex said:

I'd love to see it, but heads would explode :lol: 

I have seen a lot of polls showing PJ stock dropping a little... so it's not impossible... just wondering what they're thinking we'd need to give up to move to #19?

No way he's running the gauntlet through the Pats. And then the Bucs need a LT too. I see the Bucs dropping if they are settling for a Wright or Harrison. They sure as shit aint dropping if Paris Johnson is sitting there. It's just absolutely foolish crap by Arrowhead Addict on this one.

This guy took the mocks, compiled the list if their rankings and put together the draft for the teams. Does not take trades into consideration, but pretty neat to see.

Draft for chiefs look like this below per the link.

Chiefs:
ED Nolan Smith
T Jaelyn Duncan
S Jammie Robinson
WR Tyler Scott
HB Chase Brown
ED YaYa Diaby
TE Wil Mallory
CB Cameron Brown

ED Al Gaye

LB Mane Mapu