EB needs to move on if he ever wants to be a Head Coach

PHOENIX -- If Eric Bieniemy is departing the Kansas City Chiefs, he left them quite the parting gift.

Their longtime offensive coordinator helped orchestrate an offense that in the second half of Super Bowl LVII saw the Chiefs score touchdowns on their first three possessions and fail to get one on the fourth and final one only because they were setting up for the winning field goal.

The Chiefs wound up rallying from a 10-point halftime deficit and beating the Philadelphia Eagles 38-35 for their second Super Bowl victory in four seasons.

Bieniemy is a candidate for other offensive coordinator openings around the NFL and could be moving on after 10 seasons as a Chiefs assistant, the past five as the coordinator.

"Eric Bieniemy has been tremendous for us and I think tremendous for the National Football League,'' Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. "I'm hoping he has an opportunity to go somewhere and do his thing where he can run the show and be Eric Bieniemy.''

29 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

"Eric Bieniemy has been tremendous for us and I think tremendous for the National Football League,'' Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. "I'm hoping he has an opportunity to go somewhere and do his thing where he can run the show and be Eric Bieniemy.''

since this interview I Believe was made before the Colts  made their HC announcement  but I think  anyone can see that EB  on the sideline in Andy's shadow does not do EB any favors. I hope he goes to Washington and does well. From everything I have read  EB is Wash's OC heir apparent.

The rumor is - according to Jason brown on Whitlocks show - is EB will be moving on so he can get out of Reids shadow. The way they hugged right after the SB win made me think it may be the last time they're coaching together.

Reid, EB and even Spags were hugged up reminiscent of the way Bellichik, Crenel and Weis were years ago, when they new they wouldn't be coaching together again.  

21 minutes ago, West said:

Frankly, as long time Chiefs' junkie, I do not know exactly what EB does and what he is responsible for.

Reid has been a walking "EB Commercial" post SB win......I do not know if they want to keep him in KC or get him out?

W

I think its frustration on Andys part when he sees guys with less experience and are less qualified get opportunities rather than a guy who is more qualified.

Take a guy like staley of the chargers.  He has only been in the NFL 6 years.  3 as a LB coach 1 as a DC for the Rams then gets an HC opportunity vs a guy like EB who played in the NFL for 8 yrs has coached in the NFL 14 yrs 10 of which are on Reids staff and 5 as OC.   I don't think Andy  keeps a guy around that long if he didn't believe in him.  It would be frustrating as hell to watch that knowing a guy could do the job given the opportunity but keeps getting passed over for guys  that dont near the resume.  I think his responsibilities are the same as what Nagys and Pedersons were.  

The NFL trend seems to be younger is better and at 53 and EBs old school mentality it may not fit in with what owners want.   

9 minutes ago, xen said:

Does that really matter though considering most HCs don't call plays?

Well to me it means Benemy is not really the OC. It means he wasn't calling the plays. Which is why I think teams were passing on him. Because they now he was just a puppet of Andy's and that it wasn't his offense it was Andy's. It does matter. You gonna be a headcoach when your not even trusted to call plays? 

43 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

Well to me it means Benemy is not really the OC. It means he wasn't calling the plays. Which is why I think teams were passing on him. Because they now he was just a puppet of Andy's and that it wasn't his offense it was Andy's. It does matter. You gonna be a headcoach when your not even trusted to call plays? 

whats funny is that you believe the likes of Nagy and Pederson actually called the plays?

2 hours ago, xen said:

Does that really matter though considering most HCs don't call plays?

Agreed.

There's something more to it with him. Whether it's his arrests in the distant past, the fact he may not interview well, the fact that he's old school and gets in players asses regardless of how it makes them feel...something more has to be at play than the color of his skin. 

People have been picking fruit off the Reid tree for years. Why would they not want a guy who's been around Reid and this much success, for this long?

I hope the best fir him if he leaves but going 0-15 in HC interviews over the last 3 offseasons is mind boggling. 

5 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agreed.

There's something more to it with him. Whether it's his arrests in the distant past, the fact he may not interview well, the fact that he's old school and gets in players asses regardless of how it makes them feel...something more has to be at play than the color of his skin. 

People have been picking fruit off the Reid tree for years. Why would they not want a guy who's been around Reid and this much success, for this long?

I hope the best fir him if he leaves but going 0-15 in HC interviews over the last 3 offseasons is mind boggling. 

I think now it's 0-16 with the Colts passing him by AGAIN!

3 hours ago, arthur75 said:

Dunno why he's not getting hired but I don't think calling plays should have much to do with it.  

John Harbaugh was Andy's special teams coordinator.  Never called plays.  Great coach.  Doug Peterson didn't call plays under Andy.  Good head coach.  Even a lot of coordinators who did call plays before they became HC's didn't continue calling plays as the HC.

Game planning, leadership, teaching, in game coaching... all are far more important for a HC.  Just hire an OC to run plays like most do.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agreed.

There’s definitely something deeper going on.  There’s been way too much success from the Reid tree for a guy to get passed over that many times.  Kafka will be a head coach before Bienemy 

If he gets a Job then there will start being a shortage of black coaches to bring in for interviews...Thank the Rooney Rule for that...LOL....

I'm just kidding. Maybe needs a lateral move somewhere he can actually call the plays. He needs to go to a team that has a Defensive head coach. If he does really well there then he probably legitimizes himself as a HC candidate and gets Andy's monkey off his back.