Chiefs FAs: Pay'em or Pass

Sportrac has a market value estimate for a few Chiefs FAs. Would you pay or pass at that price?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/kansas-city-chiefs/

Brown      5 yrs, $112,146,565      Avg. Salary: $22,429,313    Pay'em, I think he costs more.

JuJu        4 yrs, $58,643,976        Avg. Salary: $14,660,994    Pay'em, 14 isn't bad.

Wylie       3 yrs, $14,096,676        Avg. Salary: $4,698,892      Pass, I would go young. 

Hardman   4 yrs, $41,558,152      Avg. Salary: $10,389,538    Pass, too much for a few gadget plays per game. Not a team player.

Saunders  2 yrs, $12,830,640      Avg. Salary: $6,415,320       Pay'em, let Nnadi walk. A little pricey IMO, but he has shown some up side and worth a 2 year gamble.

I wouldn’t pay Brown. He is not a fit for the offense. Tag and trade. 

Both Brown and Wylie were aided by the slippery grass at the Super Bowl. The edge guys couldn’t burst and get up field and run the hoop because they were slipping everywhere. 

don’t be fooled. Trade him to a team like Pittsburgh or Tennessee. He fits this scheme more. Collect draft capital. 

29 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I wouldn’t pay Brown. He is not a fit for the offense. Tag and trade. 

Both Brown and Wylie were aided by the slippery grass at the Super Bowl. The edge guys couldn’t burst and get up field and run the hoop because they were slipping everywhere. 

don’t be fooled. Trade him to a team like Pittsburgh or Tennessee. He fits this scheme more. Collect draft capital. 

Who do you replace him with?  We are in win now mode and have a franchise quarterback to protect.  I'm not against a replacement, but we just played the Eagles and didn't give up a sack and ran the ball for 158 yards against the number 1 defense in the league. You can blame the paint for a game, but he's playing a premier position on the number 1 scoring and yardage offense over a 17 game season.  I'm not sure it's fair to say he's not a fit.  

Honestly I don't think they were that far apart last year.  He just wanted more guarantees.  If u guarantee a bit more in years 2 and 3 or plop more in signing bonus I still think you could backload the last few years and buy time to identify a new LT in the draft the next few years.  By all accounts he has done much better than I anticipated when we traded for him.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Sportrac has a market value estimate for a few Chiefs FAs. Would you pay or pass at that price?

Brown      5 yrs, $112,146,565      Avg. Salary: $22,429,313    Pay'em, I think he costs more.

JuJu        4 yrs, $58,643,976        Avg. Salary: $14,660,994    Pay'em, 14 isn't bad.

Wylie       3 yrs, $14,096,676        Avg. Salary: $4,698,892      Pass, I would go young. 

Hardman   4 yrs, $41,558,152      Avg. Salary: $10,389,538    Pass, too much for a few gadget plays per game. Not a team player.

Saunders  2 yrs, $12,830,640      Avg. Salary: $6,415,320       Pay'em, let Nnadi walk. A little pricey IMO, but he has shown some up side and worth a 2 year gamble.

Brown-- Compare against other free agent LT's. If he is the best then you sign him.

JUJU--- only if I cant find a replacement with the same talent level for cheaper. or a proven vet for around the same price.

wylie--- I think I pay him. 

Hardman--bye bye

saunders----go young

7 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I wish we had JuJu and MVS's situations reversed.  

yup. I like Juju, but Idk about 22 mil a year. I don't think his production in this offense warrants that....even if that's the going rate for WR's. 

I say let him walk and sign another vet FA WR.

Just now, artsy said:

yup. I like Juju, but Idk about 22 mil a year. I don't think his production in this offense warrants that....even if that's the going rate for WR's. 

I say let him walk and sign another vet FA WR.

The original post has JuJu at 14 a year.  That's on the edge for me.  22 Absolutely not.  

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

The original post has JuJu at 14 a year.  That's on the edge for me.  22 Absolutely not.  

Yes sir, I stand corrected. I also had OBJ on the brain....I really don't wanna pay him either. Mainly cause I don't trust him...

He did play better down the stretch, but he struggles against top tier speed rushers. Do we think he's gonna get better AFTER he gets paid???

I don't.

13 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not sure we get better after paying him, but we could damn sure get worse if he's gone.  

Perhaps. I suppose we gonna have to leave it up to the man who gets paid to make these tough decisions. Veech has earned my trust, but I get a bad feeling inside when I think about this guy 22mil a year and eating up that much cap space for someone who has known flaws to NFL DEs. 

The fact that we HAVE to pay him because there's no one else available sucks! And it sucks even more because he knows it.

5 minutes ago, artsy said:

Perhaps. I suppose we gonna have to leave it up to the man who gets paid to make these tough decisions. Veech has earned my trust, but I get a bad feeling inside when I think about this guy 22mil a year and eating up that much cap space for someone who has known flaws to NFL DEs. 

The fact that we HAVE to pay him because there's no one else available sucks! And it sucks even more because he knows it.

This ^^^^

Make it a incentive laden deal.. For every sack he gives up he loses a 1million per year. That woudl be awesome if it worked that way. I would do thisthough. 

Pay hime 20 millin per year. If he gives up under 5 sacks for the year he gets 3 million bonus.. something to that effect.

24 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

Make it a incentive laden deal.. For every sack he gives up he loses a 1million per year. That woudl be awesome if it worked that way. I would do thisthough. 

Pay hime 20 millin per year. If he gives up under 5 sacks for the year he gets 3 million bonus.. something to that effect.

Yea, but would he agree to that?? As most people here have stated, he's in FULL CONTROL of this thing. 

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they tagged Brown again. I'm on the fence on Juju. Wylie and Hardman can leave no doubt. Saunders shouldn't be that costly and continues to ascend IMO so he would be a keeper.

1 hour ago, arthur75 said:

Brown has an inflated view of his worth and value. He didn't take the deal offered last year. Kinda thinking he sees his floor as around $23 million. Chiefs should not go there.

15 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Brown has an inflated view of his worth and value. He didn't take the deal offered last year. Kinda thinking he sees his floor as around $23 million. Chiefs should not go there.

I sure as hell wouldn't...If I was giving him a Madden score, he would be around an 81 to 83 IMO.

That's not 23Mil a year to me.

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

Brown      5 yrs, $112,146,565      Avg. Salary: $22,429,313    Pay him.  He improved as the year went and competent LTs are hard to find. 

JuJu        4 yrs, $58,643,976        Avg. Salary: $14,660,994    Pay him.  That's about where he should be.

Wylie       3 yrs, $14,096,676        Avg. Salary: $4,698,892      Replacement level player.  Sign him to minimum or let him walk.

Hardman   4 yrs, $41,558,152      Avg. Salary: $10,389,538    I like the kid, but not for that price, and with Toney on the cheap for three more years.

Saunders  2 yrs, $12,830,640      Avg. Salary: $6,415,320       Pay him.  Solid rotational piece.  I am also fine with bringing Nnadi back at minimum.

Agree about Brown... LTs are hard to find and he's coming around it seems.

JuJu... not sure he's worth 14.6 per year... but maybe I don't understand how it works. When I click on his name Sportrac has: "JuJu Smith-Schuster signed a 1 year, $3,760,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $1,455,000 signing bonus, $2,490,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $3,760,000."

Now that he's a FA I'd be willing to pay him a little more... but 15 mil? 

Keep Wylie. He's improved immensely, he's not too expensive and Patrick loves the guy. 

Saunders for sure.

Put the tag on Brown and if he doesn't sign it, bye bye.  If he has trade valve after tagging him, the Chiefs had better have his replacement in house.  We don't need another Jordan Black protecting the franchise.  If he doesn't sign, there should be enough cap space to buy a reasonable replacement.  Saunders is a keeper.  Hardman can go  Maybe get a comp pick off him.  Don't overpay Wylie based on one effective SB game.  He's a back up at best.  Niang played pretty well before he got hurt and the Chiefs probably know if he's coming back 100%.  Gotta draft an OT (player, not the poster) this year.  JuJu at $14 million is okay but he doesn't deserve #1 WR money.  MVS can go.  Like Wylie, he had one meaningful performance and was less than average for most of the season.  

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Put the tag on Brown and if he doesn't sign it, bye bye.  If he has trade valve after tagging him, the Chiefs had better have his replacement in house.  We don't need another Jordan Black protecting the franchise.  If he doesn't sign, there should be enough cap space to buy a reasonable replacement.  Saunders is a keeper.  Hardman can go  Maybe get a comp pick off him.  Don't overpay Wylie based on one effective SB game.  He's a back up at best.  Niang played pretty well before he got hurt and the Chiefs probably know if he's coming back 100%.  Gotta draft an OT (player, not the poster) this year.  JuJu at $14 million is okay but he doesn't deserve #1 WR money.  MVS can go.  Like Wylie, he had one meaningful performance and was less than average for most of the season.  

Hey now I will have you know I was a pretty decent LT  when I played  in 5th  through 8th grade football