Chiefs FAs: Pay'em or Pass

3 hours ago, artsy said:

I don't think Juju will take 7-8 mil per year. Mainly cause I think there are teams that will offer him more, possibly double that. We still need a #1 WR, so I'm thinking we'll sign another Vet FA WR.

We do need a true #1 WR so who knows..

Where do you find a better receiver than JuJu that will cost less than JuJu?  If he can stay healthy, he can be a possession receiver and with Toney and Moore plus a day two draft pick, Mahomes will have the targets he needs.  If Hopkins would come in on a one year deal, that would let them drop JuJu, but that's a long shot.  JuJu made himself a lot of money from the SB performance and I'm thinking $15 million will be his floor.  His downside is only a bum knee. 

35 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Where do you find a better receiver than JuJu that will cost less than JuJu?  If he can stay healthy, he can be a possession receiver and with Toney and Moore plus a day two draft pick, Mahomes will have the targets he needs.  If Hopkins would come in on a one year deal, that would let them drop JuJu, but that's a long shot.  JuJu made himself a lot of money from the SB performance and I'm thinking $15 million will be his floor.  His downside is only a bum knee. 

When did juju become some irreplaceable WR?

Just now, Palangi said:

I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable, but 900 yards receivers with catch rates of 77 percent that are pretty good blockers are not just falling out of trees either.  Plus he knows the system and Patrick seems to be comfortable with him.  

2 minutes ago, Palangi said:

No one called him irreplaceable, but the SB showed his value when Kelce is the main focus of the defense.  How many first down receptions did Juju get?  The guy projects out to 1100+ yards if he hadn't missed a couple of games.  If the Chiefs can find a FA that's just as productive and at a lower price, then go for it.  Otherwise, pay a bit more for a WR that now know the system and Pat and has proved he can play here.  

Everyone is correct that juju is not some juggernaut receiver, but his value will be artificially inflated because the free agent WR market is complete and utter dog shtttt. Juju and Hardman are arguably the top 2 Wrs in free agency this season, it’s insanely bad.

thats why the WR trade market is going to be very active this season, just like it was last season. You will keep hearing the names Tee Higgins and Deandre Hopkins in trade discussions, as well as a few mystery Wide Receivers

If JuJu wanted a one year deal at an inflated rate, I might ride with that. But not a big contract that keeps him here a long time with guaranteed money. He has only broken 1,000 yard once, right? And that was like 4 or 5 years ago. He showed up in the Super Bowl. He disappeared though in a lot of games. If JuJu was the #1 option and Kelce gone, he’d be shut down. You don’t drop $15+ mil on a guy like that. 

To maintain good status, you constantly draft guys, bring in the prove it year guys, and don’t overpay anyone but QB, pass rush, and elite CB.

This is tough.  I think you offer him something similar to last year that on paper makes him the highest paid but give the team flexibility to get out after 3 and costs ~20 million apy.   I also think you could tag him for 19.5 million and draft our LT in the first or second round.  

Resign Juju at 14 million and don't overthink it.  He is young and will have an entire offseason to develop even more chemistry with Mahomes.   

Pass on Wylie - He played well in the SB but the field did help our Oline and he isn't an ascending player.  Get the late round comp pick.

Hardman - Hard pass.  We finished the year just fine without him and while we need a player like that we can draft one.  

Saunders - I think he is ascending and that deal would be a good deal imo.  I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Javon Hargrave on a one year deal to pair with Jones and Saunders.  

Juju I absolutely want back. Dude is super young and fits perfectly.  I’d go as far as 4/60

khaulen Saunders I’d like back too.  He’s still improving and he’s freakishly fast and athletic for a man his size. 

Brown/Wylie.  I keep one, not both.  I’d prefer Wylie bc he’s cheaper, and draft a tackle to take Browns spot.  I just don’t want to give that guy a huge contract, I feel like it’s a disaster waiting to happen. 

Hardman I let walk.  

CEH should already have his shit laying in the parking lot. 

7 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable, but 900 yards receivers with catch rates of 77 percent that are pretty good blockers are not just falling out of trees either.  Plus he knows the system and Patrick seems to be comfortable with him.  

The last part points to an even more productive 2nd year.   He isn't a true #1 but he a good #2.  

Curious what a guy like Keenan Allen would want for a one year ring chase?   With that said MVS, Juju, Toney, Moore, Ross, and a draft pick is still a very good wr room.   Saw some reports hinting that a guy like Quentin Johnston might fall some.  He might be worth moving into the 20's if he falls.

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

The last part points to an even more productive 2nd year.   He isn't a true #1 but he a good #2.  

Curious what a guy like Keenan Allen would want for a one year ring chase?   With that said MVS, Juju, Toney, Moore, Ross, and a draft pick is still a very good wr room.   Saw some reports hinting that a guy like Quentin Johnston might fall some.  He might be worth moving into the 20's if he falls.

I am all in on the notre dame tight end in the 1st. 

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

If the Chiefs don't go D-line or OT first, I'll be disappointed.  This season proved that they can lead the league in offense without a stud #1 WR.  Juju, Toney, Moore, Watson and MVS/Ross/day2pick shouldn't be any drop off.  Kelce may play fewer snaps as he ages so more targets are nice, but not a priority over line play IMHO. 

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Preserves Kelce while giving Mayer a couple years with the goat.  I am a little intrigued by he Mammoth Washington kid from Georgia as well but not in the first.  I think RT or DE better in the first though.

An article caught my eye about the charges. They listed the top 3 FA WRs for the Bolts to go after. There is a Chief on the list and it’s not Hardman or Juju. Justin Watson is listed as the #2 FA WR. 
https://boltbeat.com/posts/ranking-available-free-agent-wide-receivers-chargers-2023/amp/2#slideshow-top-bar

Got to love the Andy-Pat effect.

12 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Everyone is correct that juju is not some juggernaut receiver, but his value will be artificially inflated because the free agent WR market is complete and utter dog shtttt. Juju and Hardman are arguably the top 2 Wrs in free agency this season, it’s insanely bad.

thats why the WR trade market is going to be very active this season, just like it was last season. You will keep hearing the names Tee Higgins and Deandre Hopkins in trade discussions, as well as a few mystery Wide Receivers

Get Mike Evans in a trade. TB needs picks to rebuild and a qb to lead them.

14 hours ago, Palangi said:

I just can’t believe some want to go full Hitchens with juju. 

I cant believe your reading comprehension  is at a 3rd grade level ..not once have I read anything of the sort being suggested. But I say yea lets do it. Hitch signed for $9M a year with a $14M signing bonus.

13 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

CEH Skipped the parade to do this instead. Isnt CEH a free agent? 

For those wondering why #Chiefs RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire wasn’t at the Super Bowl parade: He walked at New York Fashion Week 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CosKAmXuzB1/

Chiefs have his 5th year option if they choose to use it which I'm guessing they won't and shouldnt.  

One name i haven't seen mentioned that's going to be a FA is Mckinion.   I know conventional thinking is you don't mess with RBs over 30.  He is 31 but caught 56 for 512 and 9 TDs.    He only had a cap hit of a little over a mill.  Can't imagine anybody paying him more but i liked the rotation they had going with him and  Pacheco. I think i roll the dice and bring him back again.  

4 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

One name i haven't seen mentioned that's going to be a FA is Mckinion.   I know conventional thinking is you don't mess with RBs over 30.  He is 31 but caught 56 for 512 and 9 TDs.    He only had a cap hit of a little over a mill.  Can't imagine anybody paying him more but i liked the rotation they had going with him and  Pacheco. I think i roll the dice and bring him back again.  

What dice? Long as he stays healthy he'll produce.

10 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

read on McDuff.. several mentions and yes you are right. He'll be 32 next year. I'd think  whether he coms back  is more about his want to than the Chiefs. Hard to think they'd not  welcome him back. He only made $1.2M last year IIRC so I'd think $2M would be more than doable especially if they say adios to CEH

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I cant believe your reading comprehension  is at a 3rd grade level ..not once have I read anything of the sort being suggested. But I say yea lets do it. Hitch signed for $9M a year with a $14M signing bonus.

Exactly. That was way too much for Hitchens and then we were stuck with him when he wasn’t playing to the level of his contract. 
i feel juju would be the same. 
but I appreciate you coming in name calling as this has only been a discussion. I hope you feel better about it. 

The other problem with the Hitchens deal is they backloaded the cap hits so ridiculously that he was uncuttable. 

chiefs are in a good cap position currently and should start front loading some deals.

for instance instance since this free agent class is weak i would strongly consider re doing mahomes and chris jones to give them big cap hits next season and maybe next year when the free agent class is better they will be able to go on a spending spree.

its just one option to consider