Chiefs FAs: Pay'em or Pass

10 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

for instance instance since this free agent class is weak i would strongly consider re doing mahomes and chris jones to give them big cap hits next season and maybe next year when the free agent class is better they will be able to go on a spending spree.

its just one option to consider 

Mahomes cap number next year is over 49 million. Jones cap number is over 28 million. 

Tell me how this plan of yours would work.

These 2 players are going to take up almost 35% of our 2023 cap as it stands currently. And your idea is that we should restructure them so their respective cap hits INCREASE?

8 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Mahomes cap number next year is over 49 million. Jones cap number is over 28 million. 

Tell me how this plan of yours would work.

These 2 players are going to take up almost 35% of our 2023 cap as it stands currently. And your idea is that we should restructure them so their respective cap hits INCREASE?

I mean lets say we aren’t active in free agent and decide to extend jones and his cap hit next season is say 40 mil and the next 3 seasons the cap hits are 5 5 5 or whatever why not.

this is just a scenario if they strike out in free agency and want to move money around during training camp or something.

I fully expect them to explore using their cap to acquire a WR though 

36 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

The other problem with the Hitchens deal is they backloaded the cap hits so ridiculously that he was uncuttable. 

chiefs are in a good cap position currently and should start front loading some deals.

for instance instance since this free agent class is weak i would strongly consider re doing mahomes and chris jones to give them big cap hits next season and maybe next year when the free agent class is better they will be able to go on a spending spree.

its just one option to consider 

We do have Sneed, Humphrey, and Gay who could get extensions too. 

20 minutes ago, Palangi said:

We do have Sneed, Humphrey, and Gay who could get extensions too. 

Gay and Sneed, okay.  Humphrey is only over his second season and won't be extended for another as I understand the system.  For those who want to grab that vet that will get the Chiefs a repeat, consider this.  Trading picks for an expensive vet hasn't been successful in the Veach era.  Also, Veach has a history of making good use of mid and late round picks.  Drafting well, staying cheaper, and churning the roster is the way to be good long term.  It's not like the Chiefs are just one great player from winning it all.  If they can grab a starting safety in the draft, bye bye Thornhill and hello comp pick.  Just one example, but the Hill trade brought them a SB and brighter future.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Gay and Sneed, okay.  Humphrey is only over his second season and won't be extended for another as I understand the system.  For those who want to grab that vet that will get the Chiefs a repeat, consider this.  Trading picks for an expensive vet hasn't been successful in the Veach era.  Also, Veach has a history of making good use of mid and late round picks.  Drafting well, staying cheaper, and churning the roster is the way to be good long term.  It's not like the Chiefs are just one great player from winning it all.  If they can grab a starting safety in the draft, bye bye Thornhill and hello comp pick.  Just one example, but the Hill trade brought them a SB and brighter future.  

But paying juju makes it harder to pay Humphrey too. As he will sign at least a 3 year contract. 

51 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Not a fan of Bryan Cook?

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Humphry won't break the bank.  OCs are at the bottom of the salary range and the cap will be considerably higher in 2024, 

He’s going to get at least $14 million a year. As the cap goes up so do salaries. And Humphrey is a top 3 center in the league. 
Humphrey is worth that money, JuJu is not. 

Kelce makes 14 

Ragnow makes 13.5

Linsley  13

If you sign Juju to a 3 year deal then most times the 3rd is a cuttable year.  Creed is under contract for two more years which by then Juju could be cut for Creeds new deal.  Also Joe Thuney's deal will be over which allows us to resign Trey Smith.  I think Veach has done a masterful job setting up these deals.   This year's draft class will be tough to resign but that is 4 years down the road and we will retain a few and probably gain comp picks for the rest.  Its how good teams stay good.

If we make any splash in FA I'd imagine it will be for either be a DL or WR and then the normal 1 year vets to add depth.    The rest will be resigning our own.  This window is about to be a minimum 5 years. 

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

Very much so, but he supplements Reid and Thornhill.  He doesn't replace Thornhill.  If Juan walks, the Chiefs need another deep safety to replace him.  

I think they'd kick Reid over to FS. He played his best football there early in his career. Then Cook would step in as SS, which is his best fit as well. Then you go out and find a solid vet on a 1 yr deal to rotate in or in case of injury. 

I dont want to lose Thornhill, but I think he's going to do well on the open market and the Chiefs need to allocate financial resources elsewhere. Specifically up front. 

14 hours ago, jetlord said:

Very much so, but he supplements Reid and Thornhill.  He doesn't replace Thornhill.  If Juan walks, the Chiefs need another deep safety to replace him.  

Normally I wouldn't count on a 7th round pick here but considering what the other two 7th round picks did, can we say that Nazeeh Johnson can't play?  Is it possible Veach struck gold on 3 of 3 tries in the 7th round this year?  

What I do know is that Nazeeh had a crazy good athletic profile come out.  Super fast and explosive with good strength and COD.  Small school guy, so not surprised he was ST only this year, but he may turn in to something.  He was a good player in college and a hard hitter for his size.  

If he can develops he is a possible FS/slot combo guy in the NFL.

Maybe the Chiefs can draft a safety that can contribute and help replace Thornhill.  Hope that's not necessary, but with all the contracts coming up in the next two years, I can see letting a few starters walk.  Gotta extend Jones and probably Sneed.  Can't keep everyone on a multiple SB winning team.  

6 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think they'd kick Reid over to FS. He played his best football there early in his career. Then Cook would step in as SS, which is his best fit as well. Then you go out and find a solid vet on a 1 yr deal to rotate in or in case of injury. 

I dont want to lose Thornhill, but I think he's going to do well on the open market and the Chiefs need to allocate financial resources elsewhere. Specifically up front. 

Yup. Pass rush is eating all of the defensive money these days. If you give Thornhill money then you can’t keep Sneed.  While I’m a bit hesitant to want to throw big bucks at sneed, that’s a much better investment than Thornhill.  

8 hours ago, xen said:

Normally I wouldn't count on a 7th round pick here but considering what the other two 7th round picks did, can we say that Nazeeh Johnson can't play?  Is it possible Veach struck gold on 3 of 3 tries in the 7th round this year?  

What I do know is that Nazeeh had a crazy good athletic profile come out.  Super fast and explosive with good strength and COD.  Small school guy, so not surprised he was ST only this year, but he may turn in to something.  He was a good player in college and a hard hitter for his size.  

If he can develops he is a possible FS/slot combo guy in the NFL.

Xen was thinking about him the other day. Wonder if this means we will go the veteran one year route for depth at S.  Or will they roll with Reid and Cook as the starters and Nazeeh as the back up.   If Veach gets something out of Nazeeh this could easily go down as one of the Chiefs greatest drafts ever if all they all continue to improve on this trajectory.

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

Yup. Pass rush is eating all of the defensive money these days. If you give Thornhill money then you can’t keep Sneed.  While I’m a bit hesitant to want to throw big bucks at sneed, that’s a much better investment than Thornhill.  

With the development of Williams and Watson do they consider moving McDuffie in to slot on 3 wr sets and moving Sneed to a roll similar to HB?  Crazy to think how good this group could be next year if they continue to develop.

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Maybe the Chiefs can draft a safe ty that can contribute and help replace Thornhill.  Hope that's not necessary, but with all the contracts coming up in the next two years, I can see letting a few starters walk.  Gotta extend Jones and probably Sneed.  Can't keep everyone on a multiple SB winning team.  

I think CJ, Sneed, and Gay get extensions.  I expect most of our cap space will be used to lock up our young core long term.  Saunders would be next in line.    Next year it will be Bolton.   The key to all of this working out is this offseasons/drafts ability to add depth on the DL.   If Veach can hit on the DL this offseason then we will have a young improving D that can be mostly retained and maintained.  Trick is finding those kind of players on the Dline something that is very difficult to do without top end picks. 

4 hours ago, moons314 said:

Extending Jones and releasing Clark can save a very significant chunk of cap. But to be honest I'm not gonna be upset if they throw that right back into the d-line. It's still our weakest position group in my opinion. 

On 2/16/2023 at 8:51 AM, Palangi said:

And no way is juju with $14 million. No way. Don’t do it

save that money for Humphrey, Sneed, and Gay. 

I agree with this.  I don't agree about Brown.  It just takes too long to find someone that can be a good LT for an offensive team like the Chiefs.  It is a primo position in importance and in the market.  OBJ is great in the run game and is becoming adequate as a pass protector.  And he's huge... Of course, if Oldtimer became available, I might change my mind.

I agree completely that the horrible slipping turf in Arizona may have won the game for the Chiefs.  Rushing the passer requires a fast initial burst, and the slipping turf pretty much neutralized the strongest aspect of the Eagles game.  Its just like Buffalo and Cincy.  Buffalo could not use their great defensive front in those wintry slick conditions.  They were totally stymied by it. Paralyzed might not even be an exaggeration.

In the end it comes down to whomever they think can be replaceable. Creed is a top OC as early as in his second season. I think he should remain with a top OC contract. The WR is much easier to replace but Juju is still useful and could be a decent option for the right amount.

I think the only real debate is Brown who isn't a top LT but decent enough when there's no better option available in the market. So do they tag him for another year, if so that will determine what we do with some other FAs like Juju in terms of the finances. 

I believe Jones will be cheaper this year after signing an extension that will bring his cap number back up in a couple years when we have to worry about some OL extensions. 

I don't think guys like Hardman, Wylie, etc should stay. We have a bunch of players worth vet minimum deals but anything higher will just be overpaying. Should instead look to fill those spots through the draft. 

Tag OBJ. Let it ride another year while we develop another LT or look at next year's FA and draft. Extend Jones and front load it. Get that money we can use now for him do when our young guys come up for an extension we can do so without worrying about a back loaded contract. Juju all depends if he is asking for WR1 type money....if so he can walk. All other scan walk if not signed for a team friendly deal imo. Go after needs in FA like DT or DE and draft the rest.

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

what happens  IF OBJ does not sign the tag? Yea I get he dont play or get paid but what's plan B for the Chiefs? Draft one? As it's been said before he has the Chiefs by the danglers.

I think we need to draft an OT regardless. RT is a mess and a decent swing tackle is a must. Don't know what Niang's status is or will be but we need someone reliable in the mix. I don't mind going OT twice in the first two days. 

Regarding OBJ, he only made money this year so could have the option to sign as late as possible but don't know if it helps his FA status at all. May be if a trade is on the table?