Chiefs FAs: Pay'em or Pass

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

what happens  IF OBJ does not sign the tag? Yea I get he dont play or get paid but what's plan B for the Chiefs? Draft one? As it's been said before he has the Chiefs by the danglers.

Tagging him keeps him off the open market and gives the team time to sign a long term deal.  They offered him way more than any of us were comfortable with so apparently they like him.  I think this is one position they will throw some money at to keep it from being a need. I also think his play down the stretch is more indicative of his normal play.  Gotta think they will offer him something similar to last year which is in line with is play and maybe add that 3rd year guaranteed with some weight stipulations.   I think Veach and Andy want to do into this draft being able to draft BPA in every round.   If this way off and they want to tag him because they have doubts this year is a great year to draft a LT at the end of the first and let them develop a year.  Duncan, Jones, Harrison, Freeland, Wright all in that last first to second round range.  IIRC all tall long armed tackles that Andy loves.  

18 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Tagging him keeps him off the open market and gives the team time to sign a long term deal.  They offered him way more than any of us were comfortable with so apparently they like him.  I think this is one position they will throw some money at to keep it from being a need. I also think his play down the stretch is more indicative of his normal play.  Gotta think they will offer him something similar to last year which is in line with is play and maybe add that 3rd year guaranteed with some weight stipulations.   I think Veach and Andy want to do into this draft being able to draft BPA in every round.   If this way off and they want to tag him because they have doubts this year is a great year to draft a LT at the end of the first and let them develop a year.  Duncan, Jones, Harrison, Freeland, Wright all in that last first to second round range.  IIRC all tall long armed tackles that Andy loves.  

interesting. I had posted a link earlier and it said how this year was a down year for Tackles. I don't really know I'm not a draft nerd

36 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

interesting. I had posted a link earlier and it said how this year was a down year for Tackles. I don't really know I'm not a draft nerd

I think it is. There isn't a lot of top end guys but the guys I mentioned are all mocked last first and 2nd round.  They are all tall and I believe have long wingspans something even good tackle drafts don't always have.  They are upside guys but need some work which is why we could get them in that range.  I do agree its not a strong LT year.

33 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I'm curious about what the asking price for OBJ would be in case of a tag & trade. I doubt any team would sign him outright after the non-exclusive tag but Veach would definitely be tempted with a decent offer/picks. 

We did offer him a crazy rich deal last year so apparently Veach and Co like him and I can't imagine that has changed with how he finished the year.  I'm preparing myself for some insane deal that appears to be a drastic overpay.

37 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

We did offer him a crazy rich deal last year so apparently Veach and Co like him and I can't imagine that has changed with how he finished the year.  I'm preparing myself for some insane deal that appears to be a drastic overpay.

Even last year's figures looked to be an overpay, I hope they don't do it this time around. 

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

he aint coming no cheaper you can bank on that. OBJ  bet on himself and it appears he won

Still cheaper to tagging him and get another prove it year. He started out like shit.  Was it him or the way we planned our calls to help him be better? I am sure they are looking into it all on this too. At one time we had one of the worst tackles for giving up pressures etc. Will he gamble on himself again and hope to stay healthy? We will see.

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

he aint coming no cheaper you can bank on that. OBJ  bet on himself and it appears he won

Need to draft a replacement that will start on the right side this year and take over after this one. OBJ is a guaranteed tag IMO and I don't see him staying beyond the tag. If he doesn't play nice with the tag the rookie may need to start earlier than expected. Not sure if there are any stop gap FAs available.

Hardman has surgery on his groin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-update-given-on-kansas-city-chiefs-wide-receiver-who-had-surgery/ar-AA17Lol0?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=23f9e89f9edd4568995f8c728cf16998

I think he tests the waters but ends up back in KC on a one year prove it deal. My take is he will get a much bigger contract by putting up a big year with Mahomes and Co. He is familiar with the concepts and more likely to have confidence here vs going somewhere else.

12 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Hardman has surgery on his groin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-update-given-on-kansas-city-chiefs-wide-receiver-who-had-surgery/ar-AA17Lol0?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=23f9e89f9edd4568995f8c728cf16998

I think he tests the waters but ends up back in KC on a one year prove it deal. My take is he will get a much bigger contract by putting up a big year with Mahomes and Co. He is familiar with the concepts and more likely to have confidence here vs going somewhere else.

I almost feel bad for the kid. Finally got from underneath  Reek's shadow  and started to look  decent then the injury bug hit. His chance for a big payday might of eluded him this year but as been mentioned a  1 year prove it contract  here cant hurt him unless he just stays injured

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I almost feel bad for the kid. Finally got from underneath  Reek's shadow  and started to look  decent then the injury bug hit. His chance for a big payday might of eluded him this year but as been mentioned a  1 year prove it contract  here cant hurt him unless he just stays injured

Another ring couldn't hurt either...

56 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The weak receiver market may get him an inflated deal. There is always the F-ing Raiders to overpay.

23 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

The weak receiver market may get him an inflated deal. There is always the F-ing Raiders to overpay.

I'm guessing he has more shot at incentives than a decent deal from day one. Needs to stay healthy and perform for a t least a full year before getting paid. 

I think KC will give him the same treatment they give other in-house WRs, test the market and come back cheap for a year if you can't find anything. 

On 2/20/2023 at 10:18 AM, Lamardirts said:

The non exclusive tag seems like a good idea for OBJ.  Let the market find his worth.  If you don't want to match at least you guaranteed compensation.

23 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think they will draft the best available OT and let him play a lot to see if they can let Brown leave in 2024.  Tag him in the meantime.

Agree. Im not looking forward to the Brown hold out and then play like crap for weeks to start the season. I hate DRAMA GUYS.

Over The Cap projects that McKinnon will earn an annual salary of $4 million in 2023. He earned $1.035 million in 2022 with the Chiefs, and the year prior, the team used the veteran salary benefit to sign McKinnon.

A recent report from NFL Network’s James Palmer suggests that even in the twilight of his career, loyalty might come into play for McKinnon re-signing in Kansas City. Palmer said McKinnon confided in him that the Chiefs were the only team interested in his services after his time in San Francisco.

“Two years ago, when he was leaving San Francisco, he thought his career was over,” Palmer said of McKinnon. “He got one phone call, and that was from Chiefs general manager Brett Veach to bring him in.”

I would like us to extend Chris Jones and make his 2023 hit very reasonable. Cut Clark and save 21 mil. Restructure Mahomes only if needed. We have around 11 mil right now in cap space. That with Jones saving us say 18 mil ( he counts 30 againat the cap in his last year so just saying 18 as of now), plus Clark's 21 mil can give us 50 mil without doing anything else. Bring back who we can, Juju, Dunlap and go from there.

Sign 2 of these possible players, maybe a DE but I think we make a good splash for at least one top FA.

I also could see us going after a run stuffing type LB. Think Lavonte David or Wagner type 

Kaleb McGary, OT, Falcons (age: 27)

McGary had a dominant run-blocking season in his big breakout with Atlanta and should command a top-of-market deal should the team not keep its right tackle

Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Vikings (age: 28)

Tomlinson is one of the league's most disruptive interior pass-rushers, and he's also solid against the run.

Jessie Bates III, S, Bengals (age: 25)

Bates is an excellent run-stopper who won't return to Cincinnati after being franchise-tagged in 2023. He is also is reliable in coverage.

Javon Hargrave, DT, Eagles (age: 29)

Hargrave's job is to get upfield and get to the quarterback with inside pressure. He has done that well for three seasons in Philadelphia, as evidenced by his 11 career sacks.

Then draft for DE, WR and other depth for development like TE  and needs now or the following year.

21 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I would like us to extend Chris Jones and make his 2023 hit very reasonable. Cut Clark and save 21 mil. Restructure Mahomes only if needed. We have around 11 mil right now in cap space. That with Jones saving us say 18 mil ( he counts 30 againat the cap in his last year so just saying 18 as of now), plus Clark's 21 mil can give us 50 mil without doing anything else. Bring back who we can, Juju, Dunlap and go from there.

Sign 2 of these possible players, maybe a DE but I think we make a good splash for at least one top FA.

I also could see us going after a run stuffing type LB. Think Lavonte David or Wagner type 

Kaleb McGary, OT, Falcons (age: 27)

McGary had a dominant run-blocking season in his big breakout with Atlanta and should command a top-of-market deal should the team not keep its right tackle

Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Vikings (age: 28)

Tomlinson is one of the league's most disruptive interior pass-rushers, and he's also solid against the run.

Jessie Bates III, S, Bengals (age: 25)

Bates is an excellent run-stopper who won't return to Cincinnati after being franchise-tagged in 2023. He is also is reliable in coverage.

Javon Hargrave, DT, Eagles (age: 29)

Hargrave's job is to get upfield and get to the quarterback with inside pressure. He has done that well for three seasons in Philadelphia, as evidenced by his 11 career sacks.

Then draft for DE, WR and other depth for development like TE  and needs now or the following year.

Not sure where you got those cap numbers but I read that we are 3 million over the cap. And that the most we could save is around 20 million. Let me see if I can find that.

Just now, arthur75 said:

Not sure where you got those cap numbers but I read that we are 3 million over the cap. And that the most we could save is around 20 million. Let me see if I can find that.

Clark will be cut. Right now we are over as he counts....for now.

1 hour ago, arthur75 said:

1 hour ago, arthur75 said:

I think any talk about cap #'s is folly at this time..until Veach has a chance to do his thing