Chiefs FAs: Pay'em or Pass

Chiefs expected to release DE Frank Clark after failing to agree on reworked contract

The Kansas City Chiefs are expected to release DE Frank Clark after they were unable to come to an agreement on a reworked contract that would lower his salary cap number for the 2023 NFL season.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Chiefs met with Clark’s agent Erik Burkhardt in an attempt to find common ground on a reworked deal but were unable to do so. That’s despite both Brett Veach and Andy Reid striking a hopeful tone during their media availability at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine. Kansas City is now expected to release the 29-year-old defensive end, according to Schefter.

This move will free $21 million in salary cap space for the Chiefs, but they’ll also incur over $7 million in a dead money charge for the upcoming season. There remains a chance that Clark could return to the team after his release, but he could also receive significant interest on the open market.

The Chiefs first acquired Clark in trade from the Seattle Seahawks ahead of the 2019 NFL draft, signing him to a five-year contract extension worth over $100 million. Clark started 55 regular-season games in the past four seasons, recording 127 total tackles, 35 tackles for loss and 23.5 sacks. During the playoffs, Clark was an entirely different beast. He recorded 32 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks in 12 games started.

If this is the end for Clark in Kansas City, he’ll leave a two-time Super Bowl champion and have little regrets about his time with the team.

1 hour ago, mex said:

Always wondered how much pressure from agents account for otherwise acceptable deals being rejected. 

A lot.  Otherwise, why would someone hire an agent?  No doubt the agent gets a cut of the increased contract size as part of the payment for services. Clark was a leader and a very fine guy, but let's face it.  He wasn't that good or reliable, probably due to his illnesses.  Articles describe that he was near the very top of all time statistics for players during postseason games.  But that means nothing if a team is always in the postseason.  It takes players who are both good and reliable during the regular season to even get to the postseason. Clark was very pedestrian in the regular season.

6 hours ago, mex said:

Always wondered how much pressure from agents account for otherwise acceptable deals being rejected. 

Agents and players have two different sets of goals.  Players want money, fitting into the team chemistry, winning, friendships developed, fan adulation, respect, and a ring or two among other things.

Agents want money.  

The question for many people, not just athletes, is, "How much is enough?"  If a player has made $80 million over the past four years, does leaving a team that's winning and comfortable for a new team where the goal is to get through week 18 before taking a break worth a few million more?  I would think "no" but maybe would have looked at it differently when in my twenties.  The agent would always say "yes". 

That's kinda my question... just asked in a different way. How many times is an athlete actually happy with a deal (for all of the above reasons, not just $$) when the agent convinces them to change their mind by saying shit like "They're disrespecting you by not offering top 3 money!"

Obviously players and agents have one and the same goal.  Make money.  Just like any other endeavor.  Making more is considered success in our culture.  Players and agents have to agree, but they may have different preferred paths to getting where they want to go.  Players may sometimes feel that if they can just play for a good team or be thrown passes by Mahomes, their performance will increase and give them more long term value, like their following contract.  Or they put value also in living in a particular city or pleasing their family and friends and not having to move.  But agents want to make the most money in the shorter term and don't have the other considerations or pressures.  But in the long run, only money matters.  Just my own ideas about this.

17 hours ago, mex said:

I would imagine most of it. Agents know much more than the players and they set the market. Most players are just happy to listen to their agents who manage a lot more than just the top players and "know better". 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Obviously players and agents have one and the same goal.  Make money.  Just like any other endeavor.  Making more is considered success in our culture.  Players and agents have to agree, but they may have different preferred paths to getting where they want to go.  Players may sometimes feel that if they can just play for a good team or be thrown passes by Mahomes, their performance will increase and give them more long term value, like their following contract.  Or they put value also in living in a particular city or pleasing their family and friends and not having to move.  But agents want to make the most money in the shorter term and don't have the other considerations or pressures.  But in the long run, only money matters.  Just my own ideas about this.

Doesn't it vary from player to player?  Mahomes signed a team friendly contract.  Kelce could make more on the open market.  Agree, money is the big motivator, but players have a life to live.  Agents only goal is higher fees.  Also, I believe maturity is a factor in not making $$$ the only consideration.  After that first big contract, some older players might think quality of life or chances of winning outweigh money, especially if the different offers aren't that far apart. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Doesn't it vary from player to player?  Mahomes signed a team friendly contract.  Kelce could make more on the open market.  Agree, money is the big motivator, but players have a life to live.  Agents only goal is higher fees.  Also, I believe maturity is a factor in not making $$$ the only consideration.  After that first big contract, some older players might think quality of life or chances of winning outweigh money, especially if the different offers aren't that far apart. 

Of course it does.  Basically, it seems you are re-wording what I wrote. We are on the same page.

25 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Daniel Jones just got $40MM per.  Lol!

Mahomes record setting contract is a bargain.  Will he still be satisfied with that contract five years down the road when second tier QBs are out earning him?  Maybe the $20 million/yr. in outside endorsements will ease his pain. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Will he still be satisfied with that contract five years down the road when second tier QBs are out earning him?

No, nor should he be... this is why they restructure every few years. Patrick knows the importance of leaving enough to cap room to maintain a roster.

Patrick has goals... and that's to surpass Brady. He knows what that will take. And he knows what that will allow him to earn when he retires in 15 years.

2 hours ago, mex said:

No, nor should he be... this is why they restructure every few years. Patrick knows the importance of leaving enough to cap room to maintain a roster.

Patrick has goals... and that's to surpass Brady. He knows what that will take. And he knows what that will allow him to earn when he retires in 15 years.

I know but i still feel bad for him.  How's a guy supposed to live off half a billion over 10 years?

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

He is a smart dude. I think he wants to win rather than be the highest paid. He knew he left money on the table.

That kind of goes against Bil's philosophy that money tops all else, but I think you're right.  Brown seems all about the salary.  Pat and Kelce are about winning and having fun.  When they've made hundreds of millions, how does another ten change their lives? 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

That kind of goes against Bil's philosophy that money tops all else, but I think you're right.  Brown seems all about the salary.  Pat and Kelce are about winning and having fun.  When they've made hundreds of millions, how does another ten change their lives? 

Also successful careers lead to better post-retirement income. It's much easier for QBs but a guy like Kelce could end up being a well paid pundit showcasing his multiple rings.

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

I wonder if Hill, with a mad stack and fat stats, had a twinge of regret sitting on his couch watching the Chiefs celebrate another championship. 

1 minute ago, DieHard said:

I wonder if Hill, with a mad stack and fat stats, had a twinge of regret sitting on his couch watching the Chiefs celebrate another championship. 

I'm sure he cries himself to sleep on a fat stack of cash every night staring wistfully at his one ring.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

I don't think you fully read what I posted about that.  I said that in the end, money is the biggest thing, but that agents and players see it differently in terms of short term and long term. But to players, benefits include chasing a ring,  having friends on a team, having a big public investment in the community, not having to move (pleasing family and their needs)...things that agents are not considering as money considerations.  For example, Mahomes.  His MERE 500 million in his contract is probably a fraction of what he is making from the community and from advertisements and promos and from partial ownership of other sports franchises he has bought into.  He is doing just fine in terms of being uber rich, as the KC quarterback, regardless of the checks that are written by Clark Hunt.

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't think you fully read what I posted about that.  I said that in the end, money is the biggest thing, but that agents and players see it differently in terms of short term and long term. But to players, benefits include chasing a ring,  having friends on a team, having a big public investment in the community, not having to move (pleasing family and their needs)...things that agents are not considering as money considerations.  For example, Mahomes.  His MERE 500 million in his contract is probably a fraction of what he is making from the community and from advertisements and promos and from partial ownership of other sports franchises he has bought into.  He is doing just fine in terms of being uber rich, as the KC quarterback, regardless of the checks that are written by Clark Hunt.

Hey, that's just what I posted.  🙂

It was put out somewhere that Mahomes earns around $20 million/yr on the side from endorsements and appearances.  I have no idea if that's any more than a guess.  He probably gets no return from his investments in sports franchises, at least at the moment, and I don't know how his WhatABurger deals pay out.  Either way, he can choose his lifestyle without considering getting bigger contracts.  He won't be flying in economy anytime soon.