Tommy Townsend RFA

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/2/20/23603972/chiefs-likely-to-make-tommy-townsend-the-leagues-highest-paid-punter-in-2023?fbclid=IwAR11xOqRa-scfiLt7F_waPjkxo2ZJNJr6b0DGElkAnTE0q5DXu3Sp3Doiks

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS FREE AGENCY

Seven members of the Kansas City Chiefs had the privilege of being named to the 2023 Pro Bowl Games — and subsequently bypassing the opportunity as the team prepared to face the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LVII.

One of those players may be in line for a controversial offseason, with an expiring contract creating an opportunity to reset the market for his position. While many Chiefs fans will worry about the above being true for tackle Orlando Brown Jr., this piece will look at punter Tommy Townsend’s upcoming restricted free agency.

Townsend signed with Kansas City as an undrafted free agent out of Florida in 2020. That season, he took over for Dustin Colquitt — who had held the job for 15 seasons. In addition to Pro Bowl honors, Townsend was named first-team All-Pro this season and AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for September.

In 2022, the third-year pro’s 45.6 net-yards-per-punt led the league.

With three accrued seasons, Townsend can now become a restricted free agent. The Chiefs can choose from three levels to offer him a contract for next season. If Townsend signs a contract with a different team, the Chiefs would be able to match it and retain his services. Assuming Kansas City offered him a right-of-first-refusal tender, the Chiefs would receive no compensation because Townsend was not drafted.

For various reasons, however, tendering Townsend offers Kansas City minimal advantage in keeping him.

Restricted free agency is awkward for a punter because even the lowest tender amount approaches the top salaries at the position. Over the Cap estimates the lowest restricted free agent tender this offseason to be $2,627,000. Per Spotrac, that number would already make Townsend the league’s 10th-highest-paid punter next season.

I'd like to keep him. The importance of the punt game is underrated. 

Will Veach want to draft a punter? I remember 15 years ago this board blew up when we drafted Colquitt. Seems like we really couldn't pick up a good FA punter for much cheaper, at least, according to the article. I bet they wait until he's tendered an offer then match it.

13 minutes ago, mex said:

I'd like to keep him. The importance of the punt game is underrated. 

Will Veach want to draft a punter? I remember 15 years ago this board blew up when we drafted Colquitt. Seems like we really couldn't pick up a good FA punter for much cheaper, at least, according to the article. I bet they wait until he's tendered an offer then match it.

The Chiefs have been blessed with above average punters. I'm not real sure about when everything needs to be decided or how signing him to make him the highest paid would really affect the overall cap situation. JMO  but I think  even being the highest paid he's still  one of the most value added players on the team. He made $895K this past year..just for reference but if  $2.7M  only makes him the 10th highest paid punter...ouch $3.7 yearly makes him highest but for reference https://overthecap.com/position/punter

Like everyone else I have no idea what the draft holds in terms of punters. If there's the next Colquitt available we could use the extra money saved by letting Townsend leave but the kid is a decent punter and would be nice to keep around. I don't know about him as a holder, that part is for Toub to analyze but at least as a pure punter he earned an extension. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Like everyone else I have no idea what the draft holds in terms of punters. If there's the next Colquitt available we could use the extra money saved by letting Townsend leave but the kid is a decent punter and would be nice to keep around. I don't know about him as a holder, that part is for Toub to analyze but at least as a pure punter he earned an extension. 

I can tell you the punter from Iowa is very good. With the inept offense they had, he did get plenty of practice in.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

He is good, but I would not overspend. At the risk of making AH throw up in his mouth, I would consider using a 7th rounder on either a kicker or a punter. They are pretty critical. 

Both Cincy and the Eagles wish they had better punters in the playoffs.  While I wouldn't recommend a Ray Guy type drafting of a punter, there's nothing wrong with spending a late pick on one.  

2 hours ago, West said:

He is money. Resign the dude at the $2.7 mil

We have plenty of other question marks.

w

but the $2.7 makes him 10th highest punter.. he'll want  probably close to the $3.7 and be the highest paid and in FA he very well may get close to that.

• 2 weeks later...
Chiefs Wire

Chiefs tender restricted free agent P Tommy Townsend

With free agency on the horizon, the Kansas City Chiefs are taking care of some contracts for restricted and exclusive rights free agents.

According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, the Chiefs have given P Tommy Townsend a “low” tender. As an undrafted free agent, that means Kansas City would get no compensation if he signs an offer sheet with another team and they choose not to match. They do have the right of first refusal with this tender, which means they will have the opportunity to match any offers,

If Townsend is not signed to an offer sheet and signs his tender, he’ll earn a one-year contract worth $2.627 million in 2023.

We absolutely need to keep him.  The kicking game is the great equalizer.  With all our expected FA losses this year, we need to give our defense a longer field to stop teams.  If we looked at the overall benefit Townsend contributed to the Chiefs in 2022, we should pay him whatever the market determines and then a little more.  Sign him long term.  A punter like him will do more for a defense than a good edge rusher, as crazy as that might seem.  Sign Townsend and get another offensive weapon for Mahomes....that is, unless we want to fall short next season. For Mahomes to be the GOAT, he needs an exceptional tight end, and Kelce needs a little rest now. This is a deep TE class.  Take advantage of it. 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We absolutely need to keep him.  The kicking game is the great equalizer.  With all our expected FA losses this year, we need to give our defense a longer field to stop teams.  If we looked at the overall benefit Townsend contributed to the Chiefs in 2022, we should pay him whatever the market determines and then a little more.  Sign him long term.  A punter like him will do more for a defense than a good edge rusher, as crazy as that might seem.  Sign Townsend and get another offensive weapon for Mahomes....that is, unless we want to fall short next season. For Mahomes to be the GOAT, he needs an exceptional tight end, and Kelce needs a little rest now. This is a deep TE class.  Take advantage of it. 

Some say the punt is the most important play in football.