Dwayne Bowe

... Not that far off. Despite his drops and missing the first game, he might get to 1,000 yards.

If he averaged his top two games (of 2014) for the rest of the season, he'd get 1,104 yards (1186). (Not realistic.) If he averaged his top 3 games, he'd get 969 yards (1038). Top four games, he'd get 897 yards (959). Right now, including all five games, he's on pace for 837 (893).

And this is for 15 games, not 16. The parentheses are prorated for 16.

What's this all mean? If we could get him to average somewhere between his top 2 and top 4 games, he'd be at 1,000 yards. Does it improve slightly from there.

Key is Smith targeting him like he did against the Chargers and Patriots. I didn't see too many risky passes and certainly none of them so deep to say it isn't sustainable (Jenkins average would have been unsustainable had he not stepped out of bounds).

Positive stuff with some proving to do.

These numbers would be higher if I took the top three or four from these past two years, instead I took only this season. The playoffs game would have pushed the numbers up quite a bit, too. Not relevant to include in these numbers, but may show some trust or chemistry with Bowe. Numbers are low despite chemistry and trust because our system is short game, risk adverse, etc., not because we're lacking in chemistry, IMO. The numbers will be dependent upon the defense more so than some/most.

These numbers would be higher if I took the top three or four from these past two years, instead I took only this season. The playoffs game would have pushed the numbers up quite a bit, too. Not relevant to include in these numbers, but may show some trust or chemistry with Bowe. Numbers are low despite chemistry and trust because our system is short game, risk adverse, etc., not because we're lacking in chemistry, IMO. The numbers will be dependent upon the defense more so than some/most.

Kelce will help Bowe's numbers this year. No longer can you scrape off a LB to take Bowe out of the game. Bowe will most likely outmuscle single coverage. He just won't outrun single coverage.

Which is why he needs to make catches since he rarely gete open.

I think you mean to say he rarely gets targeted.

Alex threw a couple of contested balls to him last game and that needs to happen more often. The drop was bad, but he had some big catches in the Chargers game.

Alex threw a couple of contested balls to him last game and that needs to happen more often. The drop was bad, but he had some big catches in the Chargers game.

He's rarely open. He's a big bodied guy who uses to give the qb a window. He's rarely plainly open.

Bowe always has been like an undersized TE.  He's a possession receiver, which is a funny label considering the drops.  He's a tough SOB after the catch too.  One of the best.  If there were a legitimate deep threat opposite him he'd be fine -- at a reduced salary.

He's rarely open. He's a big bodied guy who uses to give the qb a window. He's rarely plainly open.

That is his game, he is bigger than most DB's, and will win most of those battles

The problem is we have a qb who won't throw to you unless you are wide open

I think this comment from solomon wilcots says a lot about the chiefs approach to the passing game.

"Andy told me before the game that there are a few plays, plays like those drops by Junior Hemingway and Dwayne Bowe, which are keeping us from being what we can be in terms of winning games. Just one or two more plays from having a winning record

andy/alex simply do not trust the recievers...I expect this problem to be solved within the next couple of years if not sooner..

You see, I can get on him about drops. I can't really get on him about production. Our quarterback wants to see some separation. I don't think that he can get it that often. Therefore, his production is going to be low. It's not his fault that the other weapons around him don't open up for him more.

One could say that you want him to get separation more and get open because of the quarterback, but some things are just physically hard to do. He needs to do his job as well as he can and catch the ones that do you go to him. Our GM need to find personnel that fit either by being able to get separation, get him open, or catching the ball.

Despite all this, he is not that far from getting the thousand yard season. Maybe it has gotten easier to get 1k and therefore that makes it seem like he's lacking when he only almost gets it.

The key words to this whole thread came from Mongo - "at a reduced salary". It's not that Bowe isn't our best receiver - he clearly is. But he is not worth the money that he is getting paid. He's been around long enough to safely say that he will never be consistent (and therefore a real possession receiver) and will never be a deep threat (and therefore a game-changer). He has his role and he does it pretty well, but he is way overpaid. His money should be divided up among some other quality receivers.  

The key words to this whole thread came from Mongo - "at a reduced salary". It's not that Bowe isn't our best receiver - he clearly is. But he is not worth the money that he is getting paid. He's been around long enough to safely say that he will never be consistent (and therefore a real possession receiver) and will never be a deep threat (and therefore a game-changer). He has his role and he does it pretty well, but he is way overpaid. His money should be divided up among some other quality receivers.  

I can agree with that 100%

Bowe really screwed himself with the suspension. I thought it was a little odd that he didn't appeal.

I like Bowe, but if he doesn't take a pay cut, I would bet he is gone. If he is smart he takes a paycut because the suspension screws him and he won't see the money anyway.

I can agree with that 100%

Bowe really screwed himself with the suspension. I thought it was a little odd that he didn't appeal.

I like Bowe, but if he doesn't take a pay cut, I would bet he is gone. If he is smart he takes a paycut because the suspension screws him and he won't see the money anyway.

Yep.   

I would say that is the biggest beef any fans have with Bowe.  Paid too much for what he is and does.  And to no fault of his own, but it will need to be corrected.  Another interesting plot for the coming off season.

People need to lighten up on Dwayne Bowe.  Against the Colts, he had a deep pass that should have been a touchdown (it was in the first quarter of the playoff game) but one Junior Hemmingway whiffed on a block and Bowe was tackled at the six yard line.  We ended up kicking a field goal to finish the drive.  That would have been a playoff win, and #82 is out of the doghouse.  As long as he is lining up on Sunday, KC has an improved chance against anybody in the league.  Who could fill his shoes right now?  Donnie Avery/A.J. Jenkins and ??????  Yeah, that's what I thought.

People need to lighten up on Dwayne Bowe.  Against the Colts, he had a deep pass that should have been a touchdown (it was in the first quarter of the playoff game) but one Junior Hemmingway whiffed on a block and Bowe was tackled at the six yard line.  We ended up kicking a field goal to finish the drive.  That would have been a playoff win, and #82 is out of the doghouse.  As long as he is lining up on Sunday, KC has an improved chance against anybody in the league.  Who could fill his shoes right now?  Donnie Avery/A.J. Jenkins and ??????  Yeah, that's what I thought.

Point is.  He is not worth the money he is getting.  COMPARATIVE to true #1 WR's.  That is the issue here.  And the chiefs will be crazy to keep paying as much for a glorified TE "next season".  Hell even the top tight ends are catching more passes and TD's than he is.

This is something that should/could be addressed in the offseason.  

Archived