A Guy Can Dream

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

We did lose a couple AFCCG in overtime that we could have used some better running game in. 

We lost one cause dee Ford can't line up and the other cause we melted down when Pat got impatient and still took it to overtime.  Lost a superbowl cause we started a JV squad at OLine.  

We can run the ball just fine.  

7 minutes ago, xen said:

Yeah he's a good prospect.  Want to see what he does with more playing time though.  How would he do without Kelce's gravity?

Yep. And what makes Kelce great is his ability to know exactly where Patrick wants him to go... ie when he sees cover 2 he glances over to Patrick and nods... it's that communication that will be hard to replace. 

9 minutes ago, xen said:

We lost one cause dee Ford can't line up and the other cause we melted down when Pat got impatient and still took it to overtime.  Lost a superbowl cause we started a JV squad at OLine.  

In 2023 running backs can be had in the late rounds. The game has changed.  Do not waste another 1st rounder on a RB. Or a 2nd, or 3rd.  We're just fine with Pacheco and McKinnon.

7 minutes ago, xen said:

None the less, in either case, if we ran the ball better we possibly win.  The games were tied.  So doing anything better possibly swings the outcome. 

4 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

None the less, in either case, if we ran the ball better we possibly win.  The games were tied.  So doing anything better possibly swings the outcome. 

And one more sack in the 2021 AFCCG would have meant one more SB.  One can say that about any aspect of a close game.  If Patrick had just made one more completion.........

4 hours ago, xen said:

We didn't lose any superbowls cause we couldn't run the ball better, I promise you.

I’d argue the opposite. Just a semblance of a run game against Tampa would have changed the whole look. And there is no doubt running it against cincy eats the clock enough.  Not worth re hashing he’s gonna win 2 more at least .. 

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

And one more sack in the 2021 AFCCG would have meant one more SB.  One can say that about any aspect of a close game.  If Patrick had just made one more completion.........

That's my point.  You can't say definitely that  running the ball better didn't cost us a super bowl appearance.  It may have been enough to have won at least 1 of those games. Or both. 

56 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

That's my point.  You can't say definitely that  running the ball better didn't cost us a super bowl appearance.  It may have been enough to have won at least 1 of those games. Or both. 

I can say the running game alone didn't cost us.

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

As others have pointed out, anyone can point to any single thing that would have made all the difference for any team in any year.  We would have gone to the SB and won in 2018 if Dee Ford had lined up 2 more INCHES back from the line of scrimmage.  Its crazy.  The whole thing about running vs. passing is dependent on personnel and on making sure that the offensive play calling and predictabillity stays a fraction of a second ahead of any defensive adjustments.  All a Mahomes-led team needs is a credible running game...enough to take away predictability.

22 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

As others have pointed out, anyone can point to any single thing that would have made all the difference for any team in any year.  We would have gone to the SB and won in 2018 if Dee Ford had lined up 2 more INCHES back from the line of scrimmage.  Its crazy.  The whole thing about running vs. passing is dependent on personnel and on making sure that the offensive play calling and predictabillity stays a fraction of a second ahead of any defensive adjustments.  All a Mahomes-led team needs is a credible running game...enough to take away predictability.

Exactly.  Pacheco didn't need to be a 100 yd. guy for the Chiefs to win.  Their bread and butter is Mahomes and the wide variety of targets he has.  Andy out coached and out schemed the other teams and the only fault is the inability to make the short yardage is obvious situations.  The Chiefs with Henry or JC or Hunt on the team probably wouldn't score many more points.  A better team?  Sure.  They would also be a better team with Rice, Moss, or Chase catching Mahomes passes.  

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Exactly.  Pacheco didn't need to be a 100 yd. guy for the Chiefs to win.  Their bread and butter is Mahomes and the wide variety of targets he has.  Andy out coached and out schemed the other teams and the only fault is the inability to make the short yardage is obvious situations.  The Chiefs with Henry or JC or Hunt on the team probably wouldn't score many more points.  A better team?  Sure.  They would also be a better team with Rice, Moss, or Chase catching Mahomes passes.  

I'm not suggesting we need better than Pacheco.  And I'd be pissed if we take a running back in the first 2 days.  And other than Xen possibly, I am more against running the ball than anyone here.  But it's fair to say that it has hurt us occasionally. 

The Patriots AFCCG, they dominated us in time of possession 44 minutes to 21.  They out rushed us 176 to 41.  We won the turnover battle and had only 4 penalties for 28 yards.  One could argue that the difference in the game was their ability to run the ball better and the 5 yard penalty on Dee Ford was not the primary problem.  

The Bengals AFCCG, we had a 2 score lead with 8:48 to go in the 3rd.  Patrick started to come apart a little and we either could not, or did not run the ball any more to help him out.  

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not suggesting we need better than Pacheco.  And I'd be pissed if we take a running back in the first 2 days.  And other than Xen possibly, I am more against running the ball than anyone here.  But it's fair to say that it has hurt us occasionally. 

The Patriots AFCCG, they dominated us in time of possession 44 minutes to 21.  They out rushed us 176 to 41.  We won the turnover battle and had only 4 penalties for 28 yards.  One could argue that the difference in the game was their ability to run the ball better and the 5 yard penalty on Dee Ford was not the primary problem.  

The Bengals AFCCG, we had a 2 score lead with 8:48 to go in the 3rd.  Patrick started to come apart a little and we either could not, or did not run the ball any more to help him out.  

That's what I mean.  Any close victory or loss can be ascribed to any one single play depending on where we direct our attention. The ones that irk us the most are when a penalty flag that is questionable causes a loss. I'd rather do any job than be a ref and receive death threats :lol:

10 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Pacheco just averaged 4.9 yards per rush.  When we had Jamaal it was advisable to give him the ball.  With Pat, I don't care if Jesus hisself is rushing the ball; don't take it out of Pat's hands more than absolutely necessary.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Pacheco just averaged 4.9 yards per rush.  When we had Jamaal it was advisable to give him the ball.  With Pat, I don't care if Jesus hisself is rushing the ball; don't take it out of Pat's hands more than absolutely necessary.

Jesus probably could have run on the wet field. #Toma