NFL Combine 2023 thread

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You take the best player at a position of need who is not an axe murderer or serial child abuser and who can spell and not put on his pants backwards or over his shirt.

What's so bad about an axe murderer if he can get 15+ sacks?   Just don't let him bring an axe to TC. 

9 hours ago, kkuenn said:

So I guess we should not draft one since Bolton is here? Chenal anyone? Come on, if the guy falls and is bpa you would just pass on him? Say he is there in the 3rd round, Nah we have Bolton....

In the first 3 rounds you are looking for guys that can play a significant number of snaps out of the gate. It's a necessity with Pats contract. With Gay, Chenal, and Bolton we should have one of the better young LB groups in the league moving forward.

Would you really want them to draft a guy who's basically injury depth, in round 3? Or do you want someone else coming off the field so Campbell gets snaps? That's a lose lose.

Contributors on rookie deals are the most valuable player asset in the league outside a franchise QB. They've invested two 2nd round picks and a 3rd at LB and they all look like they can ball. 

I understand BPA. But I think we all know by now that it's really BPA at a position of need. 

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

So I guess we should not draft one since Bolton is here? Chenal anyone? Come on, if the guy falls and is bpa you would just pass on him? Say he is there in the 3rd round, Nah we have Bolton....

lol he's not gonna fall that far.  You're dreaming.

2 hours ago, xen said:

lol he's not gonna fall that far.  You're dreaming.

Yeah, but we have drafted LBs In the 2nd and 3rd round lately. If a guy is very good and is there, do you pass on him say un the early 3rd or late 2nd just because we have Bolton? I know what you are saying but we took Chenal in the 3rd last year when we already had Bolton too. 

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

In the first 3 rounds you are looking for guys that can play a significant number of snaps out of the gate. It's a necessity with Pats contract. With Gay, Chenal, and Bolton we should have one of the better young LB groups in the league moving forward.

Would you really want them to draft a guy who's basically injury depth, in round 3? Or do you want someone else coming off the field so Campbell gets snaps? That's a lose lose.

Contributors on rookie deals are the most valuable player asset in the league outside a franchise QB. They've invested two 2nd round picks and a 3rd at LB and they all look like they can ball. 

I understand BPA. But I think we all know by now that it's really BPA at a position of need. 

So upgrading Chenal with a guy like this you would not want? Listen, I am not thinking this will remotely happen, but Chenal was no bar burner or played a lot. Upgrading any position if we can should be a thing we do.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

Okay to go for the BPA if it's A POSITION OF NEED!  How about the best OT, EDGE, WR, or even S (if Thornhill isn't extended)?  Would you take a QB if he was the best player available at #31?  

No, but would you take the 8th rated OT over a 3rd rated say at LB? Again, Chenal could be upgraded. We can do this all day. Do we take the 10th rated safety over a 3rd rated CB because it is a position of need  etc.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah, but we have drafted LBs In the 2nd and 3rd round lately. If a guy is very good and is there, do you pass on him say un the early 3rd or late 2nd just because we have Bolton? I know what you are saying but we took Chenal in the 3rd last year when we already had Bolton too. 

Chenal was a true Sam, not a Mike.  We did not have a guy like that on the roster.  I like the player but we have far bigger needs for a day 2 pick than to replace or back up an off ball linebacker when we already have a plus level starter there on a rookie contract.  

59 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

No, but would you take the 8th rated OT over a 3rd rated say at LB? Again, Chenal could be upgraded. We can do this all day. Do we take the 10th rated safety over a 3rd rated CB because it is a position of need  etc.

Sam has specific requirements.  Chenal actually fits what Spags has historically looked for there like a glove.  Further l, in the modern game, the Sam is only gonna see the field in base, so about 20% of the time.  Break it down further and Chenal has the ability and potential to also play in Sub as a secondary rusher.  

What Campbell does well is not what Chenal does well and vice versa.  In Spags system, Campbell is a Mike not a Sam.

Also while Campbell did test very well...

download (2) (13).jpeg

12 minutes ago, xen said:

Sam has specific requirements.  Chenal actually fits what Spags has historically looked for there like a glove.  Further l, in the modern game, the Sam is only gonna see the field in base, so about 20% of the time.  Break it down further and Chenal has the ability and potential to also play in Sub as a secondary rusher.  

What Campbell does well is not what Chenal does well and vice versa.  In Spags system, Campbell is a Mike not a Sam.

Also while Campbell did test very well...

download (2) (13).jpeg

Weird because campbell does run support well, is a tackling machine and very good at it plus has range ro drop in coverage if asked to do as a sam. He has great size for a lb and can fill gaps easily. MLB have all of these traits so again, I doubt we get him but having him as an upgrade and then back up if an injury to Bolton ever happened would boy be the worse thing for us.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Weird because campbell does run support well, is a tackling machine and very good at it plus has range ro drop in coverage if asked to do as a sam. He has great size for a lb and can fill gaps easily. MLB have all of these traits so again, I doubt we get him but having him as an upgrade and then back up if an injury to Bolton ever happened would boy be the worse thing for us.

Opportunity cost my man.  You're looking at the 2nd round for him.  That means you're not upgrading at a more important spot with one of your premium picks.  Pass rusher, offensive tackle, safety, receiver, nose tackle... all need immediate help.  

If we want to repeat that means smart drafting.  

Now if he falls to late day 2 or early day 3 you can consider it.  But that's not gonna happen.  Even then I would only consider a Will at that point and only if you're not gonna resign Gay.  Personally I don't think Campbell has the man coverage chops to play Will at a super high level.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I'd take the 8th rated OT if there wasn't anyone else to play the position over having the extra LB that wasn't needed.  We're not talking about Dick Butkus here.  

1 hour ago, xen said:

Opportunity cost my man.  You're looking at the 2nd round for him.  That means you're not upgrading at a more important spot with one of your premium picks.  Pass rusher, offensive tackle, safety, receiver, nose tackle... all need immediate help.  

If we want to repeat that means smart drafting.  

Now if he falls to late day 2 or early day 3 you can consider it.  But that's not gonna happen.  Even then I would only consider a Will at that point and only if you're not gonna resign Gay.  Personally I don't think Campbell has the man coverage chops to play Will at a super high level.

No, he can cover but lacks the better speed for will.

6 hours ago, kkuenn said:

That’s because Chenal plays a different spot from Bolton. 
chenal plays there over hang backer over TEs. Bolton is MLB. 
using a 2nd or 3rd rounder a guy that would be a back up and really only get on the field if there is injuries would be bad Draft management. That should be more 5th or 6th rounders

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

No, he can cover but lacks the better speed for will.

I wasn't saying he can't cover.  But he's more of a zone defender and is too stiff for man.  Plus as you say the speeds not there.  Great athlete, like the player, but the team need is not there. 

On 3/4/2023 at 11:11 AM, xen said:

Chenal was a true Sam, not a Mike.  We did not have a guy like that on the roster.  I like the player but we have far bigger needs for a day 2 pick than to replace or back up an off ball linebacker when we already have a plus level starter there on a rookie contract.  

Chenal is going to blow up once he has a few seasons of experience.