Jackson Mahomes accused of assault

Jackson Mahomes accused of assault by Overland Park restaurant owner and waiter

Story by Mike Hendricks, The Kansas City Star  Yesterday 6:35 PM

Police are investigating allegations that the younger brother of Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes assaulted a waiter and the owner of an Overland Park restaurant last weekend.

In separate incidents, Jackson Mahomes, 22, allegedly shoved the 19-year-old male waiter more than once and later forcibly kissed the 40-year-old female owner of Aspens Restaurant and Lounge, 6995 W. 151st St.

Police have been evaluating the establishment’s surveillance video recordings from last Saturday night as part of their investigation, restaurant owner Aspen Vaughn told The Star.

Authorities would not release a report of the incident, but provided the following statement in response to a request for information about the status of the investigation:

“The Police Department is aware of an incident that occurred on Feb. 25, 2023, at a business near 151st and Metcalf. The department is still investigating. Releasing any additional information would be inappropriate at this time. Anyone with information should contact the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.”

An attorney for Jackson Mahomes provided the following statement:

“Jackson has done nothing wrong,” Brandan Davies said. “Our investigation has revealed substantial evidence refuting the claims of Jackson’s accuser including the statements of several witnesses. We have reached out to law enforcement to provide the fruit of our investigation so that they may have a complete picture of the matter.”

In an interview and a series of followup texts with The Star, Aspen Vaughn recounted the events of last Saturday, which the waiter also backed up. She also provided a video purportedly showing Jackson Mahomes grabbing her by the throat and kissing her at least twice in her office shortly after 10 p.m.

His advances were unwelcome and shocking, she said, and she believes he was intoxicated.

“He forcibly kissed me out of nowhere,” Vaughn said, “and I’m telling him, pushing him off saying ‘what are you doing?’ and then he proceeded to do it two more times where the last time I was pushing him off and I can see on the cameras that somebody was outside the office door and I was yelling for them to come help because he’s big and massive.”

At 6 foot 6, Mahomes is more than a foot taller than Vaughn, who is 5 foot 4.

Mahomes is a frequent presence on social media as a so-called influencer through his Tik Tok and Instagram accounts. He is often seen on the field before Kansas City Chiefs games and was on the stage alongside his brother at Union Station for the Super Bowl victory celebration last month.

ens. He had been in to see the step-daughter earlier that Saturday, she said, and was pleasant.

In December, Vaughn posted on Facebook a photo of her and Jackson Mahomes sitting side by side and in the comments section referred to him as “a good kid” and a good friend of her daughter.

But he has been disruptive during some of the more than 10 times he visited Aspens, she said, and treated the staff poorly.

“I would say one out of four times he comes in, it’s not a good experience,” she said.

Jackson Mahomes has come in for much criticism in recent years for his sometimes bad behavior online and in public, such as when he poured water on Baltimore fans when the Chiefs lost to the Ravens in 2021.

Last Saturday night he arrived with five friends around 9:30, according to Vaughn and the waiter, who asked that his name not be publicized. The place was busy. About 80 people were eating dinner or at the bar.

Mahomes and his entourage went into the basement office, and denied the waiter entry when he tried to go inside to retrieve his water bottle, the waiter said.

“I was going into our office downstairs where the employees are in the employee area, and he’s downstairs for I don’t know what reason,” the waiter said, “and I’m trying to get to the office, and he’s like, pushing me out. …And he’s like, No, get out, get out.”

The group then went into the VIP room upstairs. When Vaughn smelled the odor of marijuana drifting from that room, “I put my head in there and said, ‘hey, I can smell this, we have a party of 40 right out here and this can’t occur in the restaurant.’”

Shortly after 10, Vaughn said Mahomes asked to speak with her privately about the shoving incident, and that is when he allegedly grabbed her neck in that basement office with enough force that it left a faint bruise that is evident in a photograph she provided The Star.

“I was in shock,” she said. “It’s disgusting,” she said she told Mahomes. “Like you’re a child and he was trying to say ‘we should be a power couple, and I’m like ‘clearly you’re out of your mind right now.’”

Mahomes and his group left around 10:45, the waiter believes, when Vaughn’s boyfriend told them to go and not come back. Police arrived shortly after that in response to a phone call from the waiter’s father, who reported the shoving incident.

Vaughn turned over her surveillance equipment to the police and they installed a temporary system for her in its place, she said. She provided a written statement and the police assigned a case number, although no documents are on public file yet.

The waiter has not filed charges and is not sure whether he will, he said. Vaughn said the police told her they planned to pursue her alleged sexual assault regardless.

“Even without you wanting to press charges, we’re going to proceed anyways,” she said the investigating officers told her. “So it’s in your best interest to cooperate. So we’re like, OK, of course we are.”

She decided to publicize the case when she began to wonder whether the police would follow through, given Mahomes’ high profile.

“I told my lawyer all of this,” she said, ”and he said ‘why don’t you just share your story before someone else does?’”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/jackson-mahomes-accused-of-assault-by-overland-park-restaurant-owner-and-waiter/ar-AA18czVK

11 hours ago, SEMO said:

If incidents like this keep surfacing, and are valid, we will need to start referring to him as Jackass Mahomes.

It sounds like the guy is on his way to either oblivion or an alcohol recovery program.  The stuff doesn't seem to sit well with him.

• 1 year later...

Jackson Mahomes, brother of KC Chiefs quarterback, sentenced to probation in assault case

Associated Press
Updated Fri, March 8, 2024 at 12:01 PM CST·2 min read

4944375639850eafb6c9bbe00d737b06

FILE - Jackson Mahomes, right, leaves the courtroom following a bond motion hearing in Johnson County District Court, May 16, 2023, in Olathe, Kan. The younger brother of Super Bowl-winning Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes has been sentenced to six months' probation in a case alleging an assault on a woman. Jackson Mahomes, 23, appeared Thursday, March 7, 2024, for his sentencing hearing via video conference and pleaded guilty to a single misdemeanor count of battery, according to online court records. (Nick Wagner/The Kansas City Star via AP, File) (ASSOCIATED PRESS)More
  •  

•  

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — The younger brother of Super Bowl-winning Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes has been sentenced to six months' probation in a case alleging an assault on a woman.

Jackson Mahomes, 23, appeared Thursday for his sentencing hearing via video conference and pleaded guilty to a single misdemeanor count of battery, according to online court records. Following his sentence, Jackson Mahomes was taken into the custody of the Johnson County Sheriff's office, which will determine whether he's eligible for work release.

The sentencing came more than two months after prosecutors dismissed three felony charges for aggravated sexual battery related to accusations that Jackson Mahomes grabbed a woman by the neck and kissed her against her will inside an Overland Park, Kansas, restaurant in February 2023. Those more serious charges were dropped due to a lack of cooperation from the woman, according to a court filing.

The remaining misdemeanor battery charge said Jackson Mahomes shoved a waiter who tried to come into a room where he was with the woman, according to investigators.

Prosecutors dropped the felony charges after the accuser, who was the owner of the restaurant, refused to testify in the case. The woman reported that she endured death threats and harassment and that her restaurant was vandalized in the wake of the charges. She closed the restaurant in August.

Jackson Mahomes is not the only relative of Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes' family to face recent brushes with the law. The NFL player's father, former Major League Baseball pitcher Patrick Mahomes Sr., was arrested in Texas on Feb. 3, accused of driving while intoxicated.

A week later, Patrick Mahomes earned his third Super Bowl championship ring in February, leading the Chiefs to a 25-22 win over the San Francisco 49ers.

People are idiots.  Death threats?!

I bet this woman is sorry she ever met that blowhard.  She basically lost her freedom and business.  Same old story.  It's not who you are, it's who you know.

was this paragraph even necessary?

Jackson Mahomes is not the only relative of Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes' family to face recent brushes with the law. The NFL player's father, former Major League Baseball pitcher Patrick Mahomes Sr., was arrested in Texas on Feb. 3, accused of driving while intoxicated.

On 3/6/2023 at 2:39 PM, SEMO said:

It’s too bad when you have upstanding, likable people and a blowhard sibling has to cast a bad light on them.  Now we know how Roger Clinton felt.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

he needs throat punched

You mean like placing a tracheotomy tube?

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

People are idiots.  Death threats?!

I bet this woman is sorry she ever met that blowhard.  She basically lost her freedom and business.  Same old story.  It's not who you are, it's who you know.

I'm certainly not familiar with legal stuff, but wouldn't the woman have a good civil case against Jackson if his actions led to her losing the business and being harassed?  He pled guilty so if she can prove that he caused her troubles, it should be a slam dunk.  Maybe she feels it better to just put it behind her and to move on, but I smell a civil suit lurking. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I'm certainly not familiar with legal stuff, but wouldn't the woman have a good civil case against Jackson if his actions led to her losing the business and being harassed?  He pled guilty so if she can prove that he caused her troubles, it should be a slam dunk.  Maybe she feels it better to just put it behind her and to move on, but I smell a civil suit lurking. 

He only pled guilty to battery for assaulting the waiter.  They dropped the sexual assault charges because the woman refused to testify, due to the death threats.

21 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Absolutely.  But the outcome would depend on the jury as always. Juries are carefully screened by both sides but are also instructed to rely on hard evidence, not just circumstance.  Drawaing a timeline between the assault and the outcome of her business or even harrassment is not showing causation, even when it "seems" obvious. Let's face it - even the harrassment and threats are crimes of others, not the defendant in a criminal case.  It is up to law enforcement to identify and charge anyone harrassing or threatening as criminal offenses.  But what Jackson Mahomes did was assault and apparently had witnesses. And assault is a criminal case, but the subsequent harrassment and threats were not something done by Jackson Mahomes. If Jackson's assault is proven and determined by a jury, then the PUNISHMENT for that conviction can be made more harsh by the judge, based on harm done to her by those harrassing and threatening.  I agree that a civil suit is her best option, since it does not involve proving something beyond any reasonable doubt.

Of course the outcome of a civil suit would depend on a jury, but juries aren't very forgiving if a woman is harassed and loses her business as a result.  It doesn't have to be Jackson that made death threats.  His actions caused them.  Britt Reid was criminally charged with a DUI but the victim will get compensated for her injuries through civil actions.  I may be way off base here, but I think the woman has a strong case based only on what's been reported and of course, we don't know if she's already been paid off. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Of course the outcome of a civil suit would depend on a jury, but juries aren't very forgiving if a woman is harassed and loses her business as a result.  It doesn't have to be Jackson that made death threats.  His actions caused them.  Britt Reid was criminally charged with a DUI but the victim will get compensated for her injuries through civil actions.  I may be way off base here, but I think the woman has a strong case based only on what's been reported and of course, we don't know if she's already been paid off. 

I do, too.  A criminal case can be made but not won IMO. A civil case would be won.