Report Says No Tag For Brown

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Chiefs don't intend to use the franchise tag on LT Orlando Brown.

The Chiefs tagged Brown last offseason, but won't pay the premium to give him a second tag this offseason. Brown turned down a six-year, $139 million deal last offseason, but is still communicating with the team as the two sides look to work out a long-term deal. The Chiefs will have until next Monday to sign Brown before he is free to negotiate with other teams. Last season, Brown allowed 47 quarterback pressures and four sacks per PFF, earning a pass block grade of 77.2.

Don't understand this one.  1. Pelissero could just be speculating.  2. The Chiefs are close to a contract with Brown.  3..The Chiefs aren't willing to pay Brown nearly $20 million for one more season.  4.  The Chiefs have a verbal deal for Brown's replacement.  5.  The Chiefs are that confident that they will get a starting LT in the draft.

I'm guessing #1. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Don't understand this one.  1. Pelissero could just be speculating.  2. The Chiefs are close to a contract with Brown.  3..The Chiefs aren't willing to pay Brown nearly $20 million for one more season.  4.  The Chiefs have a verbal deal for Brown's replacement.  5.  The Chiefs are that confident that they will get a starting LT in the draft.

I'm guessing #1. 

it is the Silly Season

37 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I'm guessing #1. 

it's not just Pelissero  so it's no speculation. I'll be curious to how this works out but my guess is we'll hear  that the Chiefs have moved up  to draft a LT

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

it's not just Pelissero  so it's no speculation. I'll be curious to how this works out but my guess is we'll hear  that the Chiefs have moved up  to draft a LT

Johnson or Jones (Georgia)are really the only two LT prospects to move up in round one for.  Probably take a lot to move up.  

6 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Johnson or Jones (Georgia)are really the only two LT prospects to move up in round one for.  Probably take a lot to move up.  

well it cant be Jet's option 4 I mean there ally is no viable FA LT so maybe #2?

PLAYER 2022 TEAM TYPE SNAPS AGE
Greg Little Dolphins UFA 50.0% 26
Chuma Edoga Falcons UFA 5.2% 26
Orlando Brown Chiefs UFA 98.4% 27
Calvin Anderson Broncos UFA 38.6% 27
Matt Pryor Colts UFA 50.1% 29
Dan Skipper Lions UFA 33.5% 29
Ja'Wuan James Ravens UFA 2.2% 31
Taylor Lewan Titans SFA 6.2% 32
Eric Fisher Dolphins UFA 0.0% 32
Jason Peters Cowboys UFA 19.9% 41

5 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Parris Johnson is a beast... I'd be amazed if we found a way to get him. Skoronsky is also a bad ass and so is Harrison. Mauch is underrated too IMO. With Jones, there's quite a few day one LTs ready to start in the league. 

Just now, oldtimer said:

well it cant be Jet's option 4 I mean there ally is no viable FA LT 

PLAYER 2022 TEAM TYPE SNAPS AGE
Greg Little Dolphins UFA 50.0% 26
Chuma Edoga Falcons UFA 5.2% 26
Orlando Brown Chiefs UFA 98.4% 27
Calvin Anderson Broncos UFA 38.6% 27
Matt Pryor Colts UFA 50.1% 29
Dan Skipper Lions UFA 33.5% 29
Ja'Wuan James Ravens UFA 2.2% 31
Taylor Lewan Titans SFA 6.2% 32
Eric Fisher Dolphins UFA 0.0% 32
Jason Peters Cowboys UFA 19.9% 41

Yeah.  Idk what the plan is.  Maybe they are confident that a deal can get done before 3/15.  Maybe the reports are BS.  I think the tag has to be applied by tomorrow, so we shall see.

6 minutes ago, mex said:

Parris Johnson is a beast... I'd be amazed if we found a way to get him. Skoronsky is also a bad ass and so is Harrison. Mauch is underrated too IMO. With Jones, there's quite a few day one LTs ready to start in the league. 

Skoronski has alligator arms.  He is probably a better guard at this level.

Another option is they don't want to pull form Mahomes deal to kick the can down the road to get under the cap.  Tagging him immediately puts us a good bit over and with no other fast way to get under other than Mahomes.   Part of me likes the stability of Brown and feels its worth it to pay him we know what he is and its good enough, but if we truly want a 10 year window we can't be signing top 5-10 guys to record breaking deals.   Hope he takes a deal that is fair will take care of him financially but won't hamstring the team.  

Nothing else tag him and trade him.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/why-chiefs-decided-against-using-203919387.html

That decision reportedly came down to two things. Numerous reports have indicated the restrictive nature of the franchise tag number as a reason for the decision. Being that this would’ve been Brown Jr.’s second consecutive year on the franchise tag, he’d earn at least 120 percent of the franchise tag number from the year prior. That means the Chiefs would be committing over $20 million to Brown Jr. in fully-guaranteed money. That number was simply too high for the team to take on with their current salary cap situation. It’d prevent Brett Veach and the front office from being competitive in free agency and keeping some of their own free agents.

There’s another significant reason that the franchise tag wasn’t the amicable option for Kansa City, though. According to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, the Chiefs have the desire to figure out a long-term solution at the left tackle position this offseason. They want to know who is going to be protecting the blindside of their franchise quarterback for the foreseeable future.

That doesn’t just mean that Kansas City is seeking a long-term deal with Brown Jr. either. If they’re unable to come to terms on a contract extension before the legal tampering period and free agency begins next week, they’ll explore all options per Breer. It’s a weak market in free agency, so the best options might come via the draft or even in a trade scenario.

Breeland looks like a Reid guy.  Super athletic and long.   Maybe they've identified a kid they like and will move up to the 20's to get him if necessary.  That would free up a crap ton of money but this FA market is pretty barren it also comes with a big risk to Mahomes.  I trust Veach.  Gonna be a fun offseason.

Just because he played well in the Super Bowl doesn’t mean he is the man. He is the missed block that got Mahomes ankle hurt against Jacksonville. He was also bad the first 2/3 of the schedule when we played real good pass rush teams. Let someone like Cleveland pay him $30 millon a year.

It will cost draft capital, but move up in the first for your guy. 5 years protecting Patrick on a rookie deal will be a steal. 

Clark and Veach want to make a huge splash during the draft.

Gonna have to extend Humphrey and Smith at some point (hopefully). Can't let Oline talent get away as long as Mahomes is the one taking snaps. 

41 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Skoronski has alligator arms.  He is probably a better guard at this level.

Yeah, but his feet are outstanding... he's ready to start day one. I'd much prefer Johnson though. I bet we re-sign Brown.

Just now, arrowhead said:

That could happen. They have til next week to get something done.

Yep... seems like Brown likes it in KC... and I think he likes his leadership role. Being able to win multiple SBs has its appeal too. That said, this year is a bit short on FA LTs and it wouldn't surprise me if some other team made him an offer we just won't match. Either way I trust Veach.

Man o man... the draft being in KC this year is going to be EPIC.

1 minute ago, mex said:

Yep... seems like Brown likes it in KC... and I think he likes his leadership role. Being able to win multiple SBs has its appeal too. That said, this year is a bit short on FA LTs and it wouldn't surprise me if some other team made him an offer we just won't match. Either way I trust Veach.

Man o man... the draft being in KC this year is going to be EPIC.

How about our #1 and CEH to move up 15 spots?

I know,silly season. 

My god veach has been killing it lately. Ever since the beginning of his stint as GM where some absolutely absurdly stupid deals where given out, highlighted by frank clark, he has been on point. Seems like veach quickly learns from mistakes.

Very few people would have the balls to let orlando brown walk out the door, huge respect for veach if he does.

I’ve obviously been on the dont sign brown long term train for a while, but i was certain a tag and trade was coming. Veach must be scared no one would trade for brown with his contract demands and they would be stuck with him.

very interesting scenario.

1 hour ago, mex said:

Yeah, but his feet are outstanding... he's ready to start day one. I'd much prefer Johnson though. I bet we re-sign Brown.

Skoronski is a stud.  Elite explosion and 10 yard split and he's a technician.  He'd be as good or better at tackle than OBJ.  

Does anyone here like the idea of looking at Andre Dillard on a 1 yr deal? This is a player who was mocked rd 1, drafted rd 1, and legitimately got stuck behind some studs (Maialata and  Johnson) in Philly after some unfortunate but not career threatening injuries.

Hes played well in the limited snaps he has gotten. The dude has real talent and I think he could probably be had in free agency at a very affordable price. 

If nothing else he lessens the need to move way up in rd 1 and allows us to save a little draft capital. 

Semo, Xen, Mex....you other draft junkies...am I crazy to think this could be an under the radar ; outstanding signing?

Here's his draft profile: 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andre-dillard/32004449-4c18-6167-8a82-fd2a79031894