Report Says No Tag For Brown

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Does anyone here like the idea of looking at Andre Dillard on a 1 yr deal? This is a player who was mocked rd 1, drafted rd 1, and legitimately got stuck behind some studs (Maialata and  Johnson) in Philly after some unfortunate but not career threatening injuries.

Hes played well in the limited snaps he has gotten. The dude has real talent and I think he could probably be had in free agency at a very affordable price. 

If nothing else he lessens the need to move way up in rd 1 and allows us to save a little draft capital. 

Semo, Xen, Mex....you other draft junkies...am I crazy to think this could be an under the radar ; outstanding signing?

Here's his draft profile: 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andre-dillard/32004449-4c18-6167-8a82-fd2a79031894

Lane Johnson is gonna be 33 and is having shoulder surgery.  I don't see them not wanting a ransom for a good young cost controlled tackle who could step in for him.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I would wish they could do the non franchise tag. Let him deal with other teams and work out compensation for him then

I'm guessing veach has already spoken to other teams unofficially and didn't like the market.

Any possibilty they could be willing to let the market decide what his worth is. Let him get offers and see if anybody really is willing to make him the highest paid LT with the understanding that they will give the chiefs a chance to match

2 hours ago, arrowhead said:

How about our #1 and CEH to move up 15 spots?

I know,silly season. 

Wouldn't that be getting a value for CEH at least as much as a #2 pick?  What team would pay that for CEH?  If the Chiefs are going the draft route, it could be because they think Wright or Mauch could start now.  Sure there are others they could get without moving up much if at all.  One also has to wonder if there some reason they don't want to invest heavily in Brown long term.  Maybe they think that once he gets paid, his performance will drop off.  He seems pretty focused on being at the top pay wise.  I guess tag and trade wasn't an option.  Every other team also has the choice of getting quality from the draft at lower cost.  Veach has surely figured out who ahead of the Chiefs will be wanting a first round OT. 

5 hours ago, xen said:

Skoronski is a stud.  Elite explosion and 10 yard split and he's a technician.  He'd be as good or better at tackle than OBJ.  

Arms under 33" is not a good trait for NFL tackles. He's at 32-1/4". I'm guessing a whole bunch of teams slid him over to OG after that measurement and I'm guessing KC included. He's still a hell of a player, but he might be a lot more Zach Martin than he is the next Slater/Peters.

2 hours ago, kccrow said:

Arms under 33" is not a good trait for NFL tackles. He's at 32-1/4". I'm guessing a whole bunch of teams slid him over to OG after that measurement and I'm guessing KC included. He's still a hell of a player, but he might be a lot more Zach Martin than he is the next Slater/Peters.

Slide thuney over to LT and let him play LG next to him and learn from him?

They probably really liked some guy at the combine and think he'll last until #31. OBJ was decent in general but not really worth the money so a good idea to move on but didn't expect him to be gone as early as this year without a trade. I would imagine they tag him and let the youngster develop for a year but I guess they don't even see OBJ worth that much. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

They probably really liked some guy at the combine and think he'll last until #31. OBJ was decent in general but not really worth the money so a good idea to move on but didn't expect him to be gone as early as this year without a trade. I would imagine they tag him and let the youngster develop for a year but I guess they don't even see OBJ worth that much. 

Do you think the reason for not tagging Brown was because the Chiefs learned at the combine that there was no market for him?  No team was willing to pay $19.7 million for a year of Brown plus give up a pick?  I expected the tag because the Chiefs have no sure OTs at the moment and would have to overpay Brown just to get through the next season.  Veach must have a plan he's confident in or he wouldn't have cornered himself this way.  An OT in the first round now seems near certain and probably a FA although the cupboard is pretty bare.  Will Wylie get an offer now?  Brown's value must have gone down since a team needing a LT wouldn't even keep him for tag dollars.  How can he expect to get over $20 million/yr. if no one is willing to pay $19+ million? 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Do you think the reason for not tagging Brown was because the Chiefs learned at the combine that there was no market for him?  No team was willing to pay $19.7 million for a year of Brown plus give up a pick?  I expected the tag because the Chiefs have no sure OTs at the moment and would have to overpay Brown just to get through the next season.  Veach must have a plan he's confident in or he wouldn't have cornered himself this way.  An OT in the first round now seems near certain and probably a FA although the cupboard is pretty bare.  Will Wylie get an offer now?  Brown's value must have gone down since a team needing a LT wouldn't even keep him for tag dollars.  How can he expect to get over $20 million/yr. if no one is willing to pay $19+ million? 

yea the Combine is a great time for GM's to schmooze make pre trades and or talk to agents OR he's one hell of a poker player.

21 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Does anyone here like the idea of looking at Andre Dillard on a 1 yr deal? This is a player who was mocked rd 1, drafted rd 1, and legitimately got stuck behind some studs (Maialata and  Johnson) in Philly after some unfortunate but not career threatening injuries.

Hes played well in the limited snaps he has gotten. The dude has real talent and I think he could probably be had in free agency at a very affordable price. 

If nothing else he lessens the need to move way up in rd 1 and allows us to save a little draft capital. 

Semo, Xen, Mex....you other draft junkies...am I crazy to think this could be an under the radar ; outstanding signing?

Here's his draft profile: 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andre-dillard/32004449-4c18-6167-8a82-fd2a79031894

We need multiple tackles, so a flyer on him and a draft pick would be fine with me.  You could play either on either side, have added depth, etc. 

17 hours ago, kccrow said:

Typically most teams want a 34 inch threshold but we've seen some tackles do well around that 33 mark.  But then again I only said he'd do as well as OBJ.  It's not a high bar.

1 hour ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Is this a possible solution?  Don't know much about the guy, but it says he is only 29.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35805637/source-buccaneers-releasing-left-tackle-donovan-smith

What are his stats?  Win rate, pressures allowed, sacks given up?  Should be a little cheaper than Brown but is he an upgrade or will he play as well?  We just know nothing about him or what the market for him will be.  Right now, any experienced starter at either tackle position is worth checking out and I'm sure the Chiefs' staff is doing just that.  Also wonder if there will be more cap casualties in the next week to pick from.