Report Says No Tag For Brown

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Back to my point, what will the Chiefs have to give up to move up to, say, #22?  It's easy to say it should happen, but harder to see the details.  

Our first, third, and fourth?   According to Rich Hill's chart. 

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

If you can move up and get the LT you want, you do it. 5 years on a rookie contract.

Lots of anxiety about giving up to much. Screw that. You have to protect the Franchise. 

Convert Patrick's roster bonus into a signing bonus, sign some quality free agents. Hit on a draft pick or two and let's roll.

I'm having Jack Steadman flashbacks.

Now we know why Arrowhead is considered overrated.  🙂

The Chiefs have other obvious needs pending any major moves in FA.  Giving up top 100 picks is a serious matter.  The chances of a first round pick busting is a real concern.  The Chiefs learned how to cover for an immobile LT this past season.  If they have to go with a project or second tier FA for a season, they'll adjust to protect Pat.  Not a good solution, but better than giving up the draft for one player who may or may not be the long term answer. 

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Man, that's a lot to give up.  And do you think any of the top three OTs will last that long?  I'd prefer to get Wright or Harrison at #31 and keep the other picks.  Think of the players the Chiefs have picked in those rounds in the past ten years.  Sneed, JC, Houston, among others.  Maybe all this will change after FA and pro days alter the needs and rankings, but for now, keep the mid round picks. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Now we know why Arrowhead is considered overrated.  🙂

The Chiefs have other obvious needs pending any major moves in FA.  Giving up top 100 picks is a serious matter.  The chances of a first round pick busting is a real concern.  The Chiefs learned how to cover for an immobile LT this past season.  If they have to go with a project or second tier FA for a season, they'll adjust to protect Pat.  Not a good solution, but better than giving up the draft for one player who may or may not be the long term answer. 

Jack, is that you?

You worry too much. Did you read what you just posted? Absolutely makes no sense. 

Any pick has bust potential. 

1 hour ago, arrowhead said:

Jack, is that you?

You worry too much. Did you read what you just posted? Absolutely makes no sense. 

Any pick has bust potential. 

Yeah, remember those top 5 picks that never lived up to their billing? Dorsey, Jackson, even Fisher to a point. Then all the 2nd and 3rd round picks, plus some 1st rounders that were shit. Magee, Arenas, Mcluster, Asamoah, Moeaki, Baldwin, Bailey, Stephonson,Jeff Allen, Niles Davis, Conley, Dee Ford,Nelson 

Then Veach came in and helped. He had a few bumps but man we are hitting much more than missing. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah, remember those top 5 picks that never lived up to their billing? Dorsey, Jackson, even Fisher to a point. Then all the 2nd and 3rd round picks, plus some 1st rounders that were shit. Magee, Arenas, Mcluster, Asamoah, Moeaki, Baldwin, Bailey, Stephonson,Jeff Allen, Niles Davis, Conley, Dee Ford,Nelson 

Then Veach came in and helped. He had a few bumps but man we are hitting much more than missing. 

Yep. CEH was a head scratcher.

Hell, he might not draft a LT in rd 1. But if he does, moving up to get his guy shouldn't be an issue. We won't be in a position to draft a top LT where we'll be picking from for years to come. To draft a project or sign a 2nd tier FA and learn how to adjust to protect Patrick is lunacy. What kind of thinking is that? Get him now if he's your guy.

It's possible the Chiefs receive 4 (wishful thinking) 3rd round compensatory picks next year. (Brown, Thornhill, Hardman, JuJu). The rich could get a lot richer.

28 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

Yep. CEH was a head scratcher.

Hell, he might not draft a LT in rd 1. But if he does, moving up to get his guy shouldn't be an issue. We won't be in a position to draft a top LT where we'll be picking from for years to come. To draft a project or sign a 2nd tier FA and learn how to adjust to protect Patrick is lunacy. What kind of thinking is that? Get him now if he's your guy.

It's possible the Chiefs receive 4 (wishful thinking) 3rd round compensatory picks next year. (Brown, Thornhill, Hardman, JuJu). The rich could get a lot richer.

Maybe where we disagree is that you seem to be saying all in on a top three LT like Jones from Ga.  I'm thinking a LT like Wright or Harrison plus keeping the third and fourth pick (for example) is a better long term strategy.  No way of knowing until several years down the road.  

2 hours ago, arrowhead said:

I didn't remember that. There was no uproar from the folks on here.

But suggest a trade up for a LT and everybody suddenly has sand in their vagina.

Last year the Chiefs had two #1 picks and three day two picks and McDuffie slipped well below where the Chiefs' board had him.  If Johnson slipped to #23 and the Chiefs rated him far above the fourth and fifth OTs, then maybe giving up early picks would be considered.  I just don't see that happening and I don't see that much drop off between, say, the third and fifth rated OT.  In Veach we trust.  

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Last year the Chiefs had two #1 picks and three day two picks and McDuffie slipped well below where the Chiefs' board had him.  If Johnson slipped to #23 and the Chiefs rated him far above the fourth and fifth OTs, then maybe giving up early picks would be considered.  I just don't see that happening and I don't see that much drop off between, say, the third and fifth rated OT.  In Veach we trust.

Are you saying that you think that the Chiefs board likely doesn't have much of a dropoff between 0T3 and OT5?

Or are you saying based on the film you have watched there isn't much of a dropoff from OT3 to OT5?

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Are you saying that you think that the Chiefs board likely doesn't have much of a dropoff between 0T3 and OT5?

Or are you saying based on the film you have watched there isn't much of a dropoff from OT3 to OT5?

There are question marks on all of the offensive tackles.  Less so on Paris Johnson.  

9 minutes ago, xen said:

There are question marks on all of the offensive tackles.  Less so on Paris Johnson.  

Johnson is a franchise tackle.  Veach would have to pull off a miracle to have a chance at him. Too bad too, because I'm kinda leaning with arrowhead on this more and more.

We have a franchise QB... we need a young, long term force looking after Mahomes' blind side. Sadly, ain't gonna happen.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

None of us at this point can predict how the draft will play out.  My thinking, (guessing), is that Johnson and Skoronski will be long gone before the Chiefs could possible reach them.  That leaves Jones, although most mocks have him gone as well.  My estimate is that the ability levels between Jones and Wright or Harrison isn't predictable enough to make it worth giving up second day picks for him.  There are others that might be high on the Chiefs' board such as Mauch or the other OSU OT although I think the latter is probably another Brown and should be considered a RT.  All this may fly out the window on draft day.  We don't see the same things in players or interview them.  JMHO

57 minutes ago, mex said:

Johnson is a franchise tackle.  Veach would have to pull off a miracle to have a chance at him. Too bad too, because I'm kinda leaning with arrowhead on this more and more.

We have a franchise QB... we need a young, long term force looking after Mahomes' blind side. Sadly, ain't gonna happen.

LT is the top priority unless the Chiefs pull off a surprise in FA.  It's not the only priority and Veach has to balance those needs.  I just don't think they can spend several top 100 slots on one player with so many current ones likely to leave through FA.  The Chiefs need several more new players on rookie contracts.  

57 minutes ago, mex said:

If anyone can pull it off, Veach can. He has 11 picks to play with and knows almost as much as we do the need of protecting #15. 

But, yeah, it would be a miracle, even by Veach's high standards. But, as a wise man once said: a guy can dream.

Just now, DieHard said:

If there is a LT they believe in we need to go get him. There is no other legit options. Draft capital be damned. You absolutely can’t win a Super Bowl without a decent left tackle.

Not disagreeing, but how can any of us be so certain that #3 is that much better than #4 or #5?  It's not all or nothing. 

22 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

If anyone can pull it off, Veach can. He has 11 picks to play with and knows almost as much as we do the need of protecting #15. 

But, yeah, it would be a miracle, even by Veach's high standards. But, as a wise man once said: a guy can dream.

Not only does he have 11 picks from this year, he'll have compensatory picks (potentially 3rd rounders) from next year if Brown, JuJu, and Thornhill play elsewhere, which they will.

You never know....

27 minutes ago, jetlord said:

LT is the top priority unless the Chiefs pull off a surprise in FA.  It's not the only priority and Veach has to balance those needs.  I just don't think they can spend several top 100 slots on one player with so many current ones likely to leave through FA.  The Chiefs need several more new players on rookie contracts.  

Yep... LT is #1 and Veach will need to do some juggling for sure.

It doesn't have to cost every pick from this year... we can trade future picks too, and it looks like we'll have some with the potential FA losses we'll have this year.