Schefter Says Clark Release Likely

23 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

If only he played in the regular season as well as he did in some playoff games…

Still one of the worst contracts in Chiefs history.

Without that contract, we probably are now on year 55 of the curse.  He has been better than people give him credit for. 

28 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

If only he played in the regular season as well as he did in some playoff games…

Still one of the worst contracts in Chiefs history.

I would say it was a bad contact if he did nothing in the playoffs. He was a big reason, defensively, why we got to 3 SBs and won 2. And that's ultimate goal, isn't it?

35 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Without that contract, we probably are now on year 55 of the curse.  He has been better than people give him credit for. 

I don't think people are saying he was a bust. But he was pretty damned expensive and guys like that need to produce for the entire season... like Jones. 

Clark came through in the clutch though... and in the post season he played well.

He still sucks tho.

11 minutes ago, mex said:

But he was pretty damned expensive and guys like that need to produce for the entire season... like Jones. 

Conversely, Jones disappears a little in the post season and gets a pass.  They have both been key parts of our success the past 4 years for sure.  

I like Clark and would've been okay to have him come back. But sometimes you gotta make difficult decisions. You resign Clark and commit over $20 million to OBJ on a tag and suddenly you are handcuffed in FA. I think Veach wants the LT situation settled for the foreseeable future and Clark is only getting older. His contract, along with the one we gave Hitchens, really were the worst.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Conversely, Jones disappears a little in the post season and gets a pass.  They have both been key parts of our success the past 4 years for sure.  

True, but not this year.  That cherry done been broke.

6 minutes ago, mex said:

True, but not this year.  That cherry done been broke.

The lack of postseason success narrative is way overplayed with CJ.  Even when he wasn't getting postseason sacks he was disrupting entire gameplans.  He finally got some reliable complimentary pressure around him this year and look what happened.  He gets a pass for the superbowl as no pass rusher for either team was doing shit considering that field gave a significant advantage to two elite offensive lines.

• The title was changed to Schefter Says Clark Release Likely

The whole Clark contract and his tenure here was odd.  On one hand he was big in the playoffs but on the other he handicapped our team big time.  Who is to say what would have happened if we had spent that 20 million eslewhere and used the first round pick on someone.  For me it was both costs that hurt.  All things considering thought we got two rings out of his time here and he played big parts in both so thats a win.  Time to move on though. 

So what happens when Clark (and OBJ) don't get the offers they are hoping for as free agents?  Would the Chiefs take them back?  Both releases had to be done for cap reasons and while Brown might be disgruntled right now, Clark seemed to want to play here.  If he doesn't strike gold will he consider a lower offer from the Chiefs?  If Jones contract is extended with a lower hit this year could Clark come back?  I'd take him as a rotational player with fewer snaps during the regular season.  This is a most interesting off season.  

I think both could end up coming back. They probably wanted to test the market so let them, it just lowers the cost for us if there are no buyers. If there's someone willing to give up big bucks for them we'll just move on for good.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Those were Dorsey contracts. 

Yes.  But they were way worse than Frank Clark's.  And I was responding to the post that said this is one of the worst contracts in team history.  It's not close to the worst.  We have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 since that contract. He was a pro bowler in three out of four years. We have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 since that contract. Frank has been a significant part of that.  The contract has not put us in a position that we couldn't extend Pat and pay CJ.  Or rebuild the OL.   Did he earn 20 million a year?  No he did not.  We probably overpaid 8 million a year for what he did.  But he helped put a franchise over the top that was 50 years cursed.  And that alone makes the contract worth it.  

Yes.  But they were way worse than Frank Clark's.  And I was responding to the post that said this is one of the worst contracts in team history.  It's not close to the worst.  We have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 since that contract. He was a pro bowler in three out of four years. We have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 since that contract. Frank has been a significant part of that.  The contract has not put us in a position that we couldn't extend Pat and pay CJ.  Or rebuild the OL.   Did he earn 20 million a year?  No he did not.  We probably overpaid 8 million a year for what he did.  But he helped put a franchise over the top that was 50 years cursed.  And that alone makes the contract worth it.  

I agree with the most part. For the last sentence I don't think he was worth the contract but the contract itself was within the boundaries of trial and error. I wouldn't rank it the worst, or not even consider such but overall a bad trade that didn't work out as bad as quite a few that come to mind.

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

It just sucks to see a player get paid and then turn in mediocre performances every year during the contract. Then miraculously comes to life in the playoffs every year.

Paints a pretty clear picture. He's one of those guys who went balls to the wall until he got a contract that provided a lifetime of security. And then everything changed. Hunger disappears. Constantly missing practices because of "illnesses."

I'm glad he turned it back up a notch in the post season games, but it's definitely a cautionary tale about 9 figure contracts.

Having said that, I don't dislike the guy and he was a part of a special 4 years here. I wish him the best. And I hope his dumbass keeps his guns in the trunk from now on. Or at least under the seat.

18 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Paints a pretty clear picture. He's one of those guys who went balls to the wall until he got a contract that provided a lifetime of security. And then everything changed. Hunger disappears. Constantly missing practices because of "illnesses."

He was battling the stomach thing as a Seahawk.  He had surgery for it.  I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it's "illness".  I've heard Crohn's.  I think the guy really loves the game.   None the less, he hasn't been worth what he got, but he also was pretty instrumental in 2 badly needed championships.  

Question for people.  Do you think we win 3 out of 4 without the Clark trade?  Because that's the only way we lose that trade is if we would have won more without it.  The money means nothing to you and me.  

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Clark was the highest paid defensive linemen one year in his contract I believe. Was like top five or ten in the NFL for a couple of years in compensation. Mahomes is the reason KC escaped the hole. We don’t know how KC drafts or uses money outside Clark taking up a lot of cap space; KC could have been worse, but they could have been better. It may be worth it, but that doesn’t mean it was a good contract, and in terms of regular season impact, it is an absolutely terrible contract. He should have been getting 12 to 16 sacks a year, with a season approaching 20 for his compensation. Chris Jones is more of that guy than Clark was and who knows if Jones freed Clark up in the playoffs vs. Clark freeing up Jones.

I don’t like the Pro Bowl metric for anything. Matt Cassel made a pro bowl. How many All Pro teams did Clark make as one of the highest paid players in the NFL?

I am certainly glad KC has become a powerhouse. But I don’t think Clark plays as big a role in that overall and think KC could have had a higher ceiling if investment was well spent on something else.

It's hard to say what the best thing Veach has done is.  (other than his role in Mahomes)  But transitioning this team in 1 year from a 3-4 to a 4-3 was pretty amazing.  That and completely rebuilding the Oline in 1 offseason.  

I'd say absorbing Mahomes contract, getting rid of Tyreek and winning a SB with about 8 rookies playing big parts was huge. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It just sucks to see a player get paid and then turn in mediocre performances every year during the contract. Then miraculously comes to life in the playoffs every year.

I'm glad he turned it back up a notch in the post season games, but it's definitely a cautionary tale about 9 figure contracts.

Having said that, I don't dislike the guy and he was a part of a special 4 years here. I wish him the best. And I hope his dumbass keeps his guns in the trunk from now on. Or at least under the seat.

Are you talking about Clark or OBJ? 🙂  I think Brown is a real risk of mediocrity once he's paid.  He seems to be all about the $$$ to massage his ego.  Clark has issues with health but I didn't sense that there was a lack of motivation.  He was better in the playoffs, but so was the O-line, MVS, and even Pat.  Clark was overpaid.  He didn't hold back the team.  

28 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I am certainly glad KC has become a powerhouse. But I don’t think Clark plays as big a role in that overall and think KC could have had a higher ceiling if investment was well spent on something else.

Without Clark, there's a possibility (we'll never know) that the Chiefs would be the Bills of the 90s.  Always deep in the playoffs.  Never a SB winner.