Chiefs Wire

Tennessee RT Darnell Wright appears to be visiting Chiefs

The Kansas City Chiefs appear to be playing host to one of the top offensive tackle prospects in the 2023 NFL draft for a top-30 visit.

NFL podcaster Billy Marshall shared a screen grab of Tennessee RT Darnell Wright’s Instagram story in which he’s spotted arriving at the new terminal at Kansas City International Airport. The Chiefs already met with Wright formally at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis along with 11 other NFL teams. Now, it appears they’re using one of their 30 allotted pre-draft visits on the expected first-round draft pick.

A four-year starter at Tennessee, Wright has 47 games under his belt including starts at left tackle, right tackle and right guard. He’s had quite the pre-draft following up an impressive performance at the Senior Bowl with a nice job during workouts and drills at the combine. His 5.01s 40-yard dash was fourth among all offensive tackles and his 1.81s 10-yard split tied for the eleventh-best mark among all offensive tackles this year.

He has been jumping up the draft boards since the senior bowl and apparently a very successful combine but interesting to see where he ends up. From what I've read he would be a great 1st round pick but his draft journey resembles Conklin quite a lot so we may not even be in a position to consider him but obviously we never know. 

Chiefs Wire

Chiefs to host South Carolina CB Cam Smith on top-30 visit

A starter with the Gamecocks since 2020, Smith racked up six interceptions and 18 passes defended during that span. He’s a long, physical, outside cornerback who is regarded as one of the top players in a strong cornerback draft class.

Smith was a standout at the cornerback position during the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine. Here’s what we had to say about him:

“This draft class is absolutely stacked at the cornerback position and the Chiefs shouldn’t shy away from taking one just because of their success finding gems last season. Smith weighed in at 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, posting solid scores in the 40-yard dash (4.43s), vertical jump (38 inches) and broad jump (135 inches). What I came away most impressed with is how easily he can turn and burn. He gets his hips flipped as well as any cornerback I’ve seen in this class and doesn’t lose much speed at all with his footwork.”

On 3/28/2023 at 1:07 PM, xen said:

This would be at least our 2nd meeting with Wright.  We appear to have some serious interest.  That would make sense.  I think he'll be a really good RT.

He might be able to convert to LT, at least better than OBJ did.  

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:
Chiefs Wire

Chiefs to host South Carolina CB Cam Smith on top-30 visit

A starter with the Gamecocks since 2020, Smith racked up six interceptions and 18 passes defended during that span. He’s a long, physical, outside cornerback who is regarded as one of the top players in a strong cornerback draft class.

Smith was a standout at the cornerback position during the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine. Here’s what we had to say about him:

“This draft class is absolutely stacked at the cornerback position and the Chiefs shouldn’t shy away from taking one just because of their success finding gems last season. Smith weighed in at 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, posting solid scores in the 40-yard dash (4.43s), vertical jump (38 inches) and broad jump (135 inches). What I came away most impressed with is how easily he can turn and burn. He gets his hips flipped as well as any cornerback I’ve seen in this class and doesn’t lose much speed at all with his footwork.”

If they draft another CB, I wouldn't expect them to resign Sneed (I would much rather keep him!)

Chiefs Wire

Chiefs host SMU WR Rashee Rice on top-30 visit

a talented wide receiver prospect who played with Shane Buechele for two seasons at SMU.

SMU WR Rashee Rice posted on his Instagram account that he was in Kansas City for a visit with the Chiefs (h/t to Arrowhead Live for the screen capture). K.C. was already in attendance for Rice’s pro day at SMU last week, but they seem to be out to get some more information on this prospect ahead of the draft.

Rice is coming off the best season of his Mustangs career, with career-high marks in receptions (96), yards (1,355) and touchdowns (10). He had a really impressive performance at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.51s 40-yard dash (1.5 10-yard split), a 41-inch vertical (tied for best among receivers) and a 10-foot-8 broad jump.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:
Chiefs Wire

Chiefs host SMU WR Rashee Rice on top-30 visit

a talented wide receiver prospect who played with Shane Buechele for two seasons at SMU.

SMU WR Rashee Rice posted on his Instagram account that he was in Kansas City for a visit with the Chiefs (h/t to Arrowhead Live for the screen capture). K.C. was already in attendance for Rice’s pro day at SMU last week, but they seem to be out to get some more information on this prospect ahead of the draft.

Rice is coming off the best season of his Mustangs career, with career-high marks in receptions (96), yards (1,355) and touchdowns (10). He had a really impressive performance at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.51s 40-yard dash (1.5 10-yard split), a 41-inch vertical (tied for best among receivers) and a 10-foot-8 broad jump.

I like this kid.  Second round.

1 hour ago, mex said:

Is he projected late 2nd? That's what's confusing... our 2nd round pick is really an early 3rd.

He's a late 2nd to early 3rd for me so would not be surprised to see him there at end of 2nd.  Really good player but he's a spread receiver so he'll have to learn how to run routes.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

This draft class is deep in CBs.  Would you be okay with trading Sneed for draft picks rather than paying him in 2024?  Kind of like the Hill deal? 

Interesting question...but in this case, I'd say no. The difference is that Sneed is looking for his second contract (i.e.-prime playing years), whereas Hill was looking for his third contract. I loathe the idea of drafting and developing for another team to enjoy a player's best years. I understand we can't keep everyone we draft and develop, but Sneed has grown into an under-heralded keeper. His slot coverage and blitzing ability gives Spags a ton of flexibility that we won't have in a freshly minted draft pick. I think Sneed's worth the $ for his second contract (and we can reassess when third contract time comes).

Also... since CBs are deep this year, I expect Veach to zig when everyone else zags. Years that were deep in WR, he passed altogether, with the intention of grabbing the top available talent at lower-stocked positions.

18 minutes ago, Boone said:

Interesting question...but in this case, I'd say no. The difference is that Sneed is looking for his second contract (i.e.-prime playing years), whereas Hill was looking for his third contract. I loathe the idea of drafting and developing for another team to enjoy a player's best years. I understand we can't keep everyone we draft and develop, but Sneed has grown into an under-heralded keeper. His slot coverage and blitzing ability gives Spags a ton of flexibility that we won't have in a freshly minted draft pick. I think Sneed's worth the $ for his second contract (and we can reassess when third contract time comes).

Also... since CBs are deep this year, I expect Veach to zig when everyone else zags. Years that were deep in WR, he passed altogether, with the intention of grabbing the top available talent at lower-stocked positions.

letting him go  to FA seems silly & a Franchise Tag would be near the $15M mark so 2 big NEAGATIVES. One of the other tags would make more sense so  the Chiefs have him pretty solid for 2 more years. It would be interesting to see what an extension would come too.

24 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

letting him go  to FA seems silly & a Franchise Tag would be near the $15M mark so 2 big NEAGATIVES. One of the other tags would make more sense so  the Chiefs have him pretty solid for 2 more years. It would be interesting to see what an extension would come too.

As a solid but not elite CB I think he could be kept for a deal similar to what Ward got from SF assuming Veach pulls the trigger this year. 

5 minutes ago, sith13 said:

As a solid but not elite CB I think he could be kept for a deal similar to what Ward got from SF assuming Veach pulls the trigger this year. 

I'd freakn hope so . $14M a year is damned near Franchise tag $$

CW got three-years worth up to $42 million, including $26.7 million guaranteed,

8 minutes ago, sith13 said:

It would be great to see Jones and Sneed extensions done this summer, but if Sneed isn't extended, it could mean that the Chiefs are planning a future without him.