Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

Who do we sign when tampering begins on Monday? We need a tackle for sure.  Beacham at RT or even Fleming. Both should come cheap. Jawaan Taylor or Mcglinchey? Mcgary even from Atlanta or Smith from TB?

Arden Key at DE and Hargove at DT or even Dremont Jones?

I think we need to go OT for sure if we are losing both our tackles and draft one too. Go after DE or DT to solidify the d line and draft. I think if we sign JJ we go WR them in draft. 

Thoughts on anyone out there you like?

• The title was changed to Free agents to sign, Rumors etc
3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Who do we sign when tampering begins on Monday? We need a tackle for sure.  Beacham at RT or even Fleming. Both should come cheap. Jawaan Taylor or Mcglinchey?

Arden Key at DE and Hargove at DT or even Dremont Jones?

I think we need to go OT for sure if we are losing both our tackles and draft one too. Go after DE or DT to solidify the d line and draft. I think if we sign JJ we go WR them in draft. 

Thoughts on anyone out there you like?

The Chiefs may not sign anyone important unless they can rework the Jones contract.  They need to set cap space aside for going after JuJu, Saunders, and the rookie class.  They could get immediate cap room from Mahomes' contract but that's how teams kill their long term prospects.  Aside from a vet OT, the Chiefs may have a quiet FA period.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs may not sign anyone important unless they can rework the Jones contract.  They need to set cap space aside for going after JuJu, Saunders, and the rookie class.  They could get immediate cap room from Mahomes' contract but that's how teams kill their long term prospects.  Aside from a vet OT, the Chiefs may have a quiet FA period.  

I would agree with that. A vet LT would be wise. Nobody I am drooling over. Resign some of our depth and roll into the draft.

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

I personally not worried about re signing juju. 
If it happens ok but Robbie Anderson, Paris Campbell I like better. 

We know how Veach works. He's going to probably sign a couple guys on that Top FA list but are not Top Ten. More middle of the pack. Guys who will contribute but not command huge contracts. I hope a Jones extension comes soon. Want to resign Juju, Saunders and McKinnon if possible. 

11 hours ago, dhitter said:

We know how Veach works. He's going to probably sign a couple guys on that Top FA list but are not Top Ten. More middle of the pack. Guys who will contribute but not command huge contracts. I hope a Jones extension comes soon. Want to resign Juju, Saunders and McKinnon if possible. 

Agreed. I think our splash comes on draft day. And after this week I think it will be moving up to draft the top tackle the Chiefs have on their board. 

Big boards have Skoronski close to the consensus top rated tackle. But big boards aren't done by NFL scouts. I've read that some teams see him as more of a guard, but again...these aren't professional scouts or evaluators. 

Either way my guess is that we move up into the late teens or early 20s and grab Broderick Jones from Georgia. Best combo of measurable, athleticism, scheme versatility and upside. 

Could Veach surprise us and actually spend a little at RT while keeping the LT spot held down with a interim vet, and a eventual successor on a rookie contract? McGary? McGlinchey? McAnyonebutWylie?

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agreed. I think our splash comes on draft day. And after this week I think it will be moving up to draft the top tackle the Chiefs have on their board. 

Big boards have Skoronski close to the consensus top rated tackle. But big boards aren't done by NFL scouts. I've read that some teams see him as more of a guard, but again...these aren't professional scouts or evaluators. 

Either way my guess is that we move up into the late teens or early 20s and grab Broderick Jones from Georgia. Best combo of measurable, athleticism, scheme versatility and upside. 

Could Veach surprise us and actually spend a little at RT while keeping the LT spot held down with a interim vet, and a eventual successor on a rookie contract? McGary? McGlinchey? McAnyonebutWylie?

I'm pretty sure Veach is contemplating a trade up but even early 20s would take too much of an ammo. I doubt we go higher than mid 20s giving up a 2nd day pick. The fact that they let OBJ leave gives me hope regarding both the scouting and the expected availability of some starter OT prospects even if we stay put.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I'm pretty sure Veach is contemplating a trade up but even early 20s would take too much of an ammo.

I tend to agree. We have a lot of picks, but don't have a lot of early round capital to entice a team to give up a mid-1st rd selection... without giving up quite a bit.

With our recent success in the later rounds, I'm thinking we can do just fine with our current 1, 2, 3 and 4 in addressing LT, Edge and WR... giving us 6 additional picks to grab a late-round sleeper or two... ie Pacheco and Watson.  Honestly with the success we've had, I hate to give up too many draft picks to gamble on a selection... but then again Andy/Veach did pretty good moving up in 2017. 

This year's draft is going to be a hoot.

1 - 31

2 - 63

3 - 95

4 - 134

5 - 168

6 - 209

6 - 217

6 - 219

7 - 251

7 - 257

3 minutes ago, mex said:

I tend to agree. We have a lot of picks, but don't have a lot of early round capital to entice a team to give up a mid-1st rd selection... without giving up quite a bit.

With our recent success in the later rounds, I'm thinking we can do just fine with our current 1, 2, 3 and 4 in addressing LT, Edge and WR... giving us 6 additional picks to grab a late-round sleeper or two... ie Pacheco and Watson.  Honestly with the success we've had, I hate to give up too many draft picks to gamble on a selection... but then again Andy/Veach did pretty good moving up in 2017. 

This year's draft is going to be a hoot.

1 - 31

2 - 63

3 - 95

4 - 134

5 - 168

6 - 209

6 - 217

6 - 219

7 - 251

7 - 257

The draft trade value charts would indicate that the Chiefs just don't have the draft capital to move up enough to get one of the top three, Johnson, Skoronski, or Jones.  I think their best shot is a level two LT such as Wright, Harrison, Mauch, etc.  That would mean getting an interim vet until the draft pick is up to speed.  Can the Chiefs handle another draft class like last years?  Veach will probably package some of the late rounders to grab earlier third day picks.  Unless they dump some recent draftees such as Kaindoh, Powell, etc. there isn't room for too many more development players.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Unless they dump some recent draftees such as Kaindoh, Powell, etc. there isn't room for too many more development players.  

Welp it's always better to start dinner with a full pantry... then toss what you don't need.

Not so sure Harrison and Mauch are level 2... because you never know. By most definitions Pacheco was level 4 and beat out a damned good level 1 selection.

Hell we've had plenty of level 1 busts in our distinguished draft history. Can't wait to see Veach do some Veaching.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

He's really declined the past year or so.  Ten year vets are hard to predict but I think Hopkins might have more in the tank.  Not sure whether either would play on a cheap contract.  Sure wouldn't give a top 100 pick for Hopkins and wouldn't pay Thielen $13 million. 

1 hour ago, mex said:

Welp it's always better to start dinner with a full pantry... then toss what you don't need.

Not so sure Harrison and Mauch are level 2... because you never know. By most definitions Pacheco was level 4 and beat out a damned good level 1 selection.

Hell we've had plenty of level 1 busts in our distinguished draft history. Can't wait to see Veach do some Veaching.

Harrison, Mauch, and Wright are all potential starters.  It's just that Johnson, Skoronski, and Jones are considered (by the talking heads) to be plug and play instant starters.  We can trust that Veach has his own evaluations and one or more of the six will be there at #31.  None of them will be available at #63.  JMHO

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Harrison, Mauch, and Wright are all potential starters.  It's just that Johnson, Skoronski, and Jones are considered (by the talking heads) to be plug and play instant starters.  We can trust that Veach has his own evaluations and one or more of the six will be there at #31.  None of them will be available at #63.  JMHO

Yup I agree. I sure wanted a DE/DT in round 1.

But, it looks like we gotta get a LT and I'm all in for it. 

6 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yup I agree. I sure wanted a DE/DT in round 1.

But, it looks like we gotta get a LT and I'm all in for it. 

Reportedly, the DE/DT crop this year is a little deeper than OT.  The Chiefs need two at each position and the possible FAs at edge look more promising.  If the Chiefs don't get an OT on day one, they just may miss the boat unless Veach has some magic that the pundits don't have on the radar.  If FA is disregarded, then I see OT in round one and D-line and WR on day two.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

None of them will be available at #63.

No doubt. 63 is pretty much 3rd round.  I'm hoping we can pick up a sleeper WR at 63 and grab a FA edge guy with experience who really really wants a ring.

Maybe I should move this to the 'a guy can dream' thread.