Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Reportedly, the DE/DT crop this year is a little deeper than OT.  The Chiefs need two at each position and the possible FAs at edge look more promising.  If the Chiefs don't get an OT on day one, they just may miss the boat unless Veach has some magic that the pundits don't have on the radar.  If FA is disregarded, then I see OT in round one and D-line and WR on day two.

Well we did get Creed in the 2nd round and our rg in the 6th.... I do think OT is our pick though unless they go in an early run. I would like to see dt or De in FA and RT. 2 of the 3 and go into the draft with our picks to move up if need be.

19 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well we did get Creed in the 2nd round and our rg in the 6th.... I do think OT is our pick though unless they go in an early run. I would like to see dt or se in FA and RT. 2 of the 3 and go into the draft with our picks to move up if need be.

I think it may be more likely that a DE we like is there at 31 than an OT we like.  The OT's may go early which would push up some of the 2nd tier guys into the first.  DE is deep and a lot of bigger guys like Spags' likes.

Stinks we need a player ready to play immediately at LT if we don't resign OBJ or sign a vet, because I think Breeland from BYU (iirc) looks like a very high upside player.   

There looks to be some decent DE's available as cap casualties which could fill that hole.    If we trade up who are the realistic options to grab in the very high teens to mid 20's?   Will Broderick or Skoronski drop to that range?   Do we think Harrison or Wright would be there at 31 and do we feel comfortable with them starting?  Or do we try and upgrade the right side and stop gap the left for a year?  Dawand Jones, Duncan or Breeland?

Just now, xen said:

I think it may be more likely that a DE we like is there at 31 than an OT we like.  The OT's may go early which would push up some of the 2nd tier guys into the first.  DE is deep and a lot of bigger guys like Spags' likes.

Any chance we grab a guy like Nolan Smith who doesn't fit the Spags thresholds if he is there?  I do agree that if there is a run on OT's early then we might be able to grab a developmental guy like Duncan or Breeland in the 2nd.   Play them on the right side for a year and find a stop gap at LT?  Dawand Jones as a right tackle?

Just now, Lamardirts said:

Any chance we grab a guy like Nolan Smith who doesn't fit the Spags thresholds if he is there?  I do agree that if there is a run on OT's early then we might be able to grab a developmental guy like Duncan or Breeland in the 2nd.   Play them on the right side for a year and find a stop gap at LT?  Dawand Jones as a right tackle?

I just don't see Nolan Smith not going high after the combine.  But I also don't see Spags going for him when there are guys that fit what he likes throughout day 1 and 2.  Even some day 3 guys.  

I guess it just depends on how they view the tackles.  I have to think based on the leaks that Veach wants a long term solution at LT that he really likes quite a few of them.  Not sure how many of them can play on the left right away after the first 2 tiers though.

8 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Dawand Jones as a right tackle?

He's a monster and I love the guy but I'm not sure he's ready for prime time yet, at least, to fill the role we need at T.

He'll fall to some lucky team... but we won't take him at 31 and he won't be available at 63.

28 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well we did get Creed in the 2nd round and our rg in the 6th.... I do think OT is our pick though unless they go in an early run. I would like to see dt or De in FA and RT. 2 of the 3 and go into the draft with our picks to move up if need be.

I'm sorry.  I already said it's Michael Mayer.  So you can quit speculating.  

So Let It Be Written Moses GIF - So Let It Be Written Moses So Let It Be  Done - Discover & Share GIFs

4 minutes ago, xen said:

I just don't see Nolan Smith not going high after the combine.  But I also don't see Spags going for him when there are guys that fit what he likes throughout day 1 and 2.  Even some day 3 guys.  

I guess it just depends on how they view the tackles.  I have to think based on the leaks that Veach wants a long term solution at LT that he really likes quite a few of them.  Not sure how many of them can play on the left right away after the first 2 tiers though.

I can see us trading up big and drafting a guy like Broderick or Skoronski to secure that guy for 5 years.  Maybe use next years first to do it to avoid giving up our 2nd and 3rd this year.   If it works out it will be worth it.   If we do that who are some options at wr/de/dt in the 2nd?  

I agree Spags rarely deviates from his thresholds though I wish he would.  These slower bigger DE really don't get it done.  I think this years success is as much to do with Cullen as Spags.   If we don't resign Jones its going to get ugly getting pressure this year.  

4 minutes ago, mex said:

He's a monster and I love the guy but I'm not sure he's ready for prime time yet, at least, to fill the role we need at T.

He'll fall to some lucky team... but we won't take him at 31 and he won't be available at 63.

He seems like a great RT prospect that will fall in between our picks.  I wouldn't want to draft him at 31 but like you said doubt he is there at 63.  If we didn't have to find a LT so quick this Breeland kid looks intriguing.   Whatever Veach does its going to be a fun offseason!

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

He seems like a great RT prospect that will fall in between our picks.  I wouldn't want to draft him at 31 but like you said doubt he is there at 63.  If we didn't have to find a LT so quick this Breeland kid looks intriguing.   Whatever Veach does its going to be a fun offseason!

It's going to be an interesting Day 1 that's for damned sure. I'm seriously considering driving out to KC for it. Would be a hoot to watch the draft and load up on BBQ

1 hour ago, mex said:

No doubt. 63 is pretty much 3rd round.  I'm hoping we can pick up a sleeper WR at 63 and grab a FA edge guy with experience who really really wants a ring.

Maybe I should move this to the 'a guy can dream' thread.

Maybe Veach can package some of the day three picks to move up on day two.  Can't move far, but there's someone he will have his eyes on that will slide down in the top 100.

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe Veach can package some of the day three picks to move up on day two.  Can't move far, but there's someone he will have his eyes on that will slide down in the top 100.

Carolina with a bold move today... 

1 minute ago, mex said:

Carolina with a bold move today... 

They overpaid IMHO.  There's no Mahomes, Elway, or Manning to be had and they don't have Veach to find the gem in the class.  Even Burrows, Lawrence, and Herbert were obvious franchise QBs.  Does Stroud fit into that category?  Maybe, but they're taking a big risk to find out. 

We can have 58 million or so available in cap space and this before we could extend Jones and create more. 16 million is from bot tagging and cutting Clark is what we have now.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2023/03/10/kc-chiefs-create-cap-space-restructure-options-offseason/

Arrowhead Addict

GLENDALE, ARIZONA - FEBRUARY 12: Kansas City Chiefs general manager Brett Veach and Kansas City Chiefs general manager Mark Donovan celebrate with the Vince Lombardi Trophy after defeating the Philadelphia Eagles 38-35 in Super Bowl LVII at State Farm Stadium on February 12, 2023 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

KC Chiefs can create cap space with these restructure options

by Jacob Milham3 hours agoFollow @JMilTheHam

TWEET

COMMENT

Kansas City Chiefs general manager Brett Veach is no stranger to restructuring contracts to make cap space.

The Kansas City Chiefs enter this offseason with more question marks than expected. The reigning Super Bowl Champions stand to let left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. hit the open market if the two do not reach a deal within the next week. Also, the Chiefs officially released defensive end Frank Clark on Tuesday, opening a sizeable hole on the defensive line in 2023.

It doesn’t sound like much on the surface, but so many assumed the Chiefs would franchise tag Brown and renegotiate Clark’s contract. Neither is happening, and general manager Brett Veach has some work to do. The Chiefs can still work to retain their free agents, including Brown, offensive tackle Andrew Wylie, safety Juan Thornhill, and many more. However, those players only return if the Chiefs first clear some cap space.

According to Over the Cap, the Chiefs have $16.9 million in cap space as of March 7. It sounds reasonable, but more is needed to replenish the roster with contributors in all three facets of the game. One tool Veach can use to create cap space is restructuring some current Chiefs’ contracts. Restructuring can provide some immediate relief but is not the ultimate fix. Teams who restructure contracts are not escaping the cap hit but kicking it down the road. However, the Chiefs might have only one choice this offseason to retain their Super Bowl roster.

If the Chiefs have to restructure contracts this offseason, who are the best options, and how much space would they free up?

Patrick Mahomes—Potential 2023 cap savings: $33.5 million

Mahomes’ contract is set up to be restructured multiple times. That is the plan. Follow the plan.

The Chiefs needed flexibility when signing him to a 10-year, $450 million deal. The bulk of Mahomes’ contract comes in roster bonuses that keep Mahomes a wealthy man while giving Kansas City that flexibility. The agreement is the quintessential win-win and benefits the team and the player.

Sure, more restructuring could cause more problems for the Chiefs. But, the savings are undeniable. Kansas City could sign multiple players with those savings alone. That money could sign Clark’s replacement, lock down a left tackle to protect Mahomes, or retain the Chiefs’ pending free agents.

Veach restructuring Mahomes’ deal this offseason is the quickest way for Kansas City to get more cap space.

Justin Reid—Potential 2023 cap savings: $4.1 million

Reid is entering the second year of his contract, and this one-time restructuring option is one the Chiefs should take.

NFL: 27 most likely non-QB future Hall of Famers

NFL Draft: 30 worst first-round picks of the 21st century

Every NFL team's worst trade of all-time (Updated)

One NFL player you forgot played for your favorite team

Reid lived up to expectations in the first year of his three-year, $31 million contract and was Kansas City’s top safety en route to another Super Bowl. He certainly has room to grow, but there is no reason Kansas City should explore moving on from Reid anytime soon.

The Chiefs can create a solid amount of cap space by restructuring Reid’s contract, but would virtually ensure Reid remains with the Chiefs for the life of his contract. It ends after the 2024 season, so it is not a staggering commitment, but still one nonetheless. If the Chiefs have Reid in their plan beyond 2023, restructuring his contract is a no-brainer.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling—Potential 2023 cap savings: $3.8 million

Valdes-Scantling is worthy of release talk this offseason, but all signs point to Kansas City staying committed to the receiver.

The Chiefs could save $9 million if they cut Valdes-Scantling this offseason. But, in a booming wide receiver market, the Chiefs would struggle to find his replacement on the open market. The receiver corps is already thin, and Valdes-Scantling already has a season’s worth of building a relationship with Mahomes. He is more valuable on the team than off it to Kansas City.

Reports say the Chiefs want to retain as much pass-catching corps as possible in 2023. Kansas City can keep MVS in Arrowhead while opening up more cap space this offseason if they want.

20 minutes ago, jetlord said:

They overpaid IMHO.  There's no Mahomes, Elway, or Manning to be had and they don't have Veach to find the gem in the class.  Even Burrows, Lawrence, and Herbert were obvious franchise QBs.  Does Stroud fit into that category?  Maybe, but they're taking a big risk to find out. 

Stroud is good... but I don't think he's quite in that category. He's not mobile but he's got a killer arm. If he gets a good OC and the right players around him, he'll make them into a good solid offense.  Not sure they overpaid... Moore is meh... but they gave a lot to move up what... 8 slots?

starting to be a decent amount of veteran pass rushers hit the market. this seems to happen every year. and every year there are carlos dunlaps to be had on the cheap that play very well.

between the cap space and draft picks chiefs have a lot of ammo to plug holes at offensive tackle, d line, and an impact WR.

41 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

starting to be a decent amount of veteran pass rushers hit the market. this seems to happen every year. and every year there are carlos dunlaps to be had on the cheap that play very well.

between the cap space and draft picks chiefs have a lot of ammo to plug holes at offensive tackle, d line, and an impact WR.

Dunlap was a great find. I would really like to bring him back. 

30 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Offer 2 for 28? He is a great fit but long in the tooth. I would like Adam or Dhop more than JJ but it would have to be them chasing a ring rather than a pay day.

Do players really chase a ring?  They have to know that whichever team they land with has long odds of really getting the SB win.  It has to be more fun playing with a team that has a chance, but how often does the early season favorite actually win the whole thing?  Just wondering. 

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yup a year to early. Cause Caleb Williams is an absolute stud next year.