Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Do players really chase a ring?  They have to know that whichever team they land with has long odds of really getting the SB win.  It has to be more fun playing with a team that has a chance, but how often does the early season favorite actually win the whole thing?  Just wondering. 

An aging super star maybe. A WR on the wrong side of 30. I don’t know the answer, but hoping. We have been to 3 of the last 4. I would bet on us to return.

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

There are some tackles that aren't 1st tier but definitely have upside beyond the top 3 getting mentioned. I like the kid out of Tennessee. He can develop 

yea I'm not thinking  we need to mortgage the farm ..seems to be a fairly deep OT class

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

yea I'm not thinking  we need to mortgage the farm ..seems to be a fairly deep OT class

There is a definite demarcation line between the top 3 and the rest...but there are guys with talent and given the right situation could develop into a solid long term fixture for a team. I mentioned the kid out of Tennessee. Harrison from Oklahoma, Bergeron from Syracuse. There are a couple others. I have no doubt Veach is going to draft an OT. But how high?

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Do players really chase a ring?  They have to know that whichever team they land with has long odds of really getting the SB win.  It has to be more fun playing with a team that has a chance, but how often does the early season favorite actually win the whole thing?  Just wondering. 

I’ll bet you those in the later part of their careers do, absolutely. They’ve made bank for a while, and are likely willing to give a little up for a chance at SB immortality. Plus, don’t the players make more from the league for every post season victory? I know it ain’t millions, but it’s like 320k or something for all playoff games and a W in the SB. That ain’t nothing. 

14 minutes ago, mex said:

I’ll bet you those in the later part of their careers do, absolutely. They’ve made bank for a while, and are likely willing to give a little up for a chance at SB immortality. Plus, don’t the players make more from the league for every post season victory? I know it ain’t millions, but it’s like 320k or something for all playoff games and a W in the SB. That ain’t nothing. 

Agreed. I think players who have been in the league awhile, have made a few bucks and can see the end of their careers at the end of the tunnel absolutely would want to complete their career with a SB ring. However, most players aren't that bright....and are easily deceived with promises made about whether this team or that can deliver. 

47 minutes ago, dhitter said:

There are some tackles that aren't 1st tier but definitely have upside beyond the top 3 getting mentioned. I like the kid out of Tennessee. He can develop 

I like Wright a lot although I'd defer to the real talent evaluators.  He may not last until #31 but if he doesn't, it probably means Harrison does.  Either looks like a solid pick.  The problem is keeping Mahomes upright this coming season.  Then there's the issue of needing to replace TWO starting tackles.  In Veach we trust.  

29 minutes ago, mex said:

The SB winners got $157,000 and the losers $82,000.  It must be smaller for the earlier playoff wins.  Chump change for the top earners.  My points about chasing a ring is that it's hard to do.  No one can predict which teams make or win the SB.  Odds are better with KC, Buff, Cincy, SFO, etc., but even in their best era, NE won six SBs in about twenty years IIRC.  So signing on with KC doesn't automatically mean getting a ring unless the player can hang around for a number of years.  Suggs got one in a partial season with the Chiefs.  DJ, JC, Berry never came close even though the Chiefs won 10 or more games nearly every season.  It's a crap shoot to get the ring.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

The SB winners got $157,000 and the losers $82,000.  It must be smaller for the earlier playoff wins.  Chump change for the top earners.  My points about chasing a ring is that it's hard to do.  No one can predict which teams make or win the SB.  Odds are better with KC, Buff, Cincy, SFO, etc., but even in their best era, NE won six SBs in about twenty years IIRC.  So signing on with KC doesn't automatically mean getting a ring unless the player can hang around for a number of years.  Suggs got one in a partial season with the Chiefs.  DJ, JC, Berry never came close even though the Chiefs won 10 or more games nearly every season.  It's a crap shoot to get the ring.  

Well it's a crap shoot with ANY team. :lol: But with the Veach/Ried/Mahomes Chiefs, the odds like rolling a 7.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

A Trey Smith quality RT in the sixth would be nice.  🙂

Well there is that USC player that was injured and won't play this year. He will fall, maybe worth a shot to sit and heal up? Was projected to be a higher round 2 type pick.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Vorhees. Tore his Acl in the combine and them still put 38 reps at the bench with one leg. Guard but man give him a year and we could have a stud to replace where need be.

You're right. He could be a late round steal. Definite starter upside. I forgot about the injury. 

Just watched the NFL network doing a piece on "The 10 Worst Free Agent Signings Of All Time". Not sure how old this thing is but you just knew the Raiders were gonna be on it....lol.

Btw....Albert Haynesworth was at #1 sort of. It was pretty much any Redskins FA signing in recent memory.😝