Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

We should pick up an affordable FA WR for depth... but honestly we don't need a splash. I like our chances in the draft. We have Toney, MVS and Moore. Toney is killer if he stays healthy, MVS is steady eddie... but the best is yet to come with Skyy... that kid has talent and will be surprising a lot of people this year. He fucking killed the Chargers. The WR room is a little empty right now, but they can draft a good WR and then pick up someone like Justin Watson... he did a good job for us and honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him back in the red white and gold.

7 minutes ago, mex said:

DHop yes.

OBJ no. BIG FUCKING NO.

I wasn’t down with Hopkins at first but I think it makes sense now.  MVS is basically on a one year deal now, and if Toney stays healthy, he’ll put up big numbers which means he’ll want money soon. I think this basically leaves us with a scenario of get Hopkins, spend a 2nd or 3rd on a receiver, then bring in a Justin Watson type that can do double duty on special teams and round out the group.  

50 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I wasn’t down with Hopkins at first but I think it makes sense now.  MVS is basically on a one year deal now, and if Toney stays healthy, he’ll put up big numbers which means he’ll want money soon. I think this basically leaves us with a scenario of get Hopkins, spend a 2nd or 3rd on a receiver, then bring in a Justin Watson type that can do double duty on special teams and round out the group.  

Toney may want money soon but he has 2 more years + 5th year option before he'll see it.  That's 2-3 years for those of you keeping score at home.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Toney may want money soon but he has 2 more years + 5th year option before he'll see it.  That's 2-3 years for those of you keeping score at home.

So what are your thoughts on us trading a 3rd for Hopkins, assuming the Cooks deal has changed the trade market a bit? 

19 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

So what are your thoughts on us trading a 3rd for Hopkins, assuming the Cooks deal has changed the trade market a bit? 

A 5th and 5l6th plus they pick up some salary?  Hmmm, a 4th sounds better.  I do think we still need 1 more dependable receiver or tight end.

3 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

So was the Mahomes restructuring just to sign those defensive dudes to one year deals or is there still something bigger out there?

JMHO:  Veach has a plan and it includes a FA WR, an extension for Jones, possible extension for Sneed, and how much he'll spend to get the LT he needs.  He's known all along how much Mahomes contract needed to be adjusted.  We don't know the plan, but it's in place.  In Veach we trust.  

38 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I’d like to see Chark brought in at around $10 million. 

Toney

MVS

Chark

Moore

Justyn Ross

draft/Justin Ross/Imir Smith-Marsette

Chark and his injuries though. How much can we count on Toney, Chark and Ross to stay healthy? Same goes for OBJ really. I mean if they all stayed healthy, great. But lose them for a fair amount of games and we start getting the WR look against Cincy in the playoffs.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I personally agree about secondary, i feel it’s essentially impossible to cover for more than a few seconds with todays nfl rule situation. Therefore 75% of stopping the passing game is on the d line. That being said its nice veach seems to have a knack for identifying secondary talent in later rounds.

WR on the other hand to me is the second most important position after QB. Luckily our qb is so god tier that he takes the justin watsons of the world and makes them legit

This might be the most reverse view of both that I've seen in a while and I do think it is more wrong than the alternative.

The secondary and defensive lines are harmonious in their effect but it really leans a bit more on the secondary to perform those first couple of seconds. Most NFL QBs will get the ball out in under 2.5 seconds if the coverage isn't there to stop it. There is nothing between the WR and completion but the DB. At 2.5 seconds, it is nearly impossible for the DL to have any effect on the QB. It usually takes at least 3 seconds for a pass rusher to get home and that's if he wins against his blocker immediately. If the DBs hold long enough for the DL to start applying pressure, it leads to the QB pulling his eyes down which makes both more effective as time goes. Veach's ability to find quality secondary talent outside of the first couple of rounds doesn't diminish it's value, and as you saw last year he was willing to spend a high pick on it over an edge rusher.

As for WR as the second most important position, I couldn't even begin to disagree more. Many Super Bowls have been won without star WRs. Look no further than our win this year, but at least look at past winners like New England, Philly (their leading WR in 2017 had 789 yards), Seahawks (Tate led them with 898 yards), and so on and so forth. Winning comes down to a solid OL, good D, and a great QB most of the time. You only need players that can execute your offense, you don't need superstars. WR certainly isn't among the most important things. Give me a QB, good OTs, two Pass Rushers, a good CB and a multiple NB/S hybrid. The rest will work itself out.

15 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Chark and his injuries though. How much can we count on Toney, Chark and Ross to stay healthy? Same goes for OBJ really. I mean if they all stayed healthy, great. But lose them for a fair amount of games and we start getting the WR look against Cincy in the playoffs.

Yeah honestly I’d like to bring back Hardman instead of Chark. Then draft a guy. Like AT Perry. 

X- Toney, MVS

Z- Perry, Ross

Slot- Hardman, Moore

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

Yeah honestly I’d like to bring back Hardman instead of Chark. Then draft a guy. Like AT Perry. 

X- Toney, MVS

Z- Perry, Ross

Slot- Hardman, Moore

Problem is that rookie WRs don't usually thrive in their first year in Reid's offense.  And don't count on Ross, either one.  The Chiefs need Hopkins or some other experienced WR.  

7 hours ago, Palangi said:

X- Toney, MVS

Z- Perry, Ross

Slot- Hardman, Moore

Disagree. Clark is a size (6'4") speed (4.34) mismatch. Playing for a QB like Pat, that dude could feast. Hardman is still a gadget player in my opinion. He never showed me anything to suggest he could be an every down weapon. 

I don't think Hardman brings anything to the table that Chark cannot. Marginally faster but doesn't play with that speed for whatever reason. On the flip side Chark has better ball protection, a huge size advantage, and some critical receptions when it matters the most. Also a 1000-yard season in recent history is a nice plus unless it inflates the contract. Hardman has never shown anything to be more than a #3 at best but Chark has better potential.

I would prefer a solid possession receiver to help Kelce over both these guys but if we have to choose I think the Hardman experiment is not worth dragging any more. 

14 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

So was the Mahomes restructuring just to sign those defensive dudes to one year deals or is there still something bigger out there?

I believe it would include some possible ring/contract chasers after they get through the first wave of free agency. Some guys that don't get what they expect in FA will try to earn the big bucks after a year with Mahomes.

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

Problem is that rookie WRs don't usually thrive in their first year in Reid's offense.

depends on what system they came from... the right guys could contribute right away... Skyy wasn't too bad... but he was a fairly high pick.

The Chiefs are reportedly the top contenders to acquire a high-profile back-up quarterback as a precautionary measure for Patrick Mahomes.

BY M. ROBITAILLE

Following their Super Bowl win in 2023, the Kansas City Chiefs found themselves without a backup quarterback after Chad Henne announced his retirement. As a result, the Chiefs are reportedly in the market for a new QB to play understudy to Patrick Mahomes. According to bookies, they are the top contenders to land free-agent signal-caller Carson Wentz, who was released by the Washington Commanders and saved them $26 million in cap space.

Despite Wentz's inconsistency, he is a former Super Bowl winner, All-Pro and Pro Bowl player, and has been in the MVP conversation. Playing behind Mahomes could help him revive his career, and a move to Kansas City may be just what he needs. However, it remains to be seen if he is willing to put his ego aside and sign with the Chiefs on a cheap deal.

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The Chiefs are reportedly the top contenders to acquire a high-profile back-up quarterback as a precautionary measure for Patrick Mahomes.

BY M. ROBITAILLE

Following their Super Bowl win in 2023, the Kansas City Chiefs found themselves without a backup quarterback after Chad Henne announced his retirement. As a result, the Chiefs are reportedly in the market for a new QB to play understudy to Patrick Mahomes. According to bookies, they are the top contenders to land free-agent signal-caller Carson Wentz, who was released by the Washington Commanders and saved them $26 million in cap space.

Despite Wentz's inconsistency, he is a former Super Bowl winner, All-Pro and Pro Bowl player, and has been in the MVP conversation. Playing behind Mahomes could help him revive his career, and a move to Kansas City may be just what he needs. However, it remains to be seen if he is willing to put his ego aside and sign with the Chiefs on a cheap deal.

His time has come and wentz.