Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

1 hour ago, xen said:

Yeah Josh Allen over the 90% retired Ghost of A-A-Ron all day.

NY has pretty much everything BUT a QB. 

Buff might have gone from the NFL's best defense last year, to the worst one next year. 

23 hours ago, xen said:

Unless hes amenable to taking less money (doubt it) do 4 years max, restructure his 2023 salary to signing bonus, tack on 2 fake years to spread the cap hit out.  Otherwise be prepared for a higher draft pick to compensate the Cards for eating part if his salary.  

Would you give an old receiver a four year deal?  Neither would the Chiefs.  Hopkins is an upgrade to a depleted receiver group, but he's not a guarantee to win a SB nor is his absence a guarantee that they won't.  No way should the Chiefs mortgage their future on a possibility.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Would you give an old receiver a four year deal?  Neither would the Chiefs.  Hopkins is an upgrade to a depleted receiver group, but he's not a guarantee to win a SB nor is his absence a guarantee that they won't.  No way should the Chiefs mortgage their future on a possibility.  

I think a lot of the "buzz" around Hopkins is manufactured. Fans (like us) talking about him possibly coming to the Chiefs on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube and chat rooms. And to top it off the occasional talking head will say, "I think DeAndre Hopkins to the Chiefs would be a perfect fit." Or something akin to that. Then we see a headline that says "There's a lot of talk about Hopkins to the Chiefs". 

Are the Chiefs giving indications they are serious about acquiring DeAndre Hopkins?

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I think a lot of the "buzz" around Hopkins is manufactured. Fans (like us) talking about him possibly coming to the Chiefs on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube and chat rooms. And to top it off the occasional talking head will say, "I think DeAndre Hopkins to the Chiefs would be a perfect fit." Or something akin to that. Then we see a headline that says "There's a lot of talk about Hopkins to the Chiefs". 

Are the Chiefs giving indications they are serious about acquiring DeAndre Hopkins?

They will decide if the price is right I am sure. OBJ can be had for no draft trading picks. I think it might be OBJ, just waiting for the asking price to come down

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

I mean, not sure what part of 2 fake years you didn't get... so no, not a 4 year deal.

13 minutes ago, xen said:

I mean, not sure what part of 2 fake years you didn't get... so no, not a 4 year deal.

No, I get it but don't see how it helps.  Right now Hopkins is due about $34.5 million over two years.  If KC trades for him, they'll be on the hook for it.  So giving him a four year deal buys what?  It's all about guaranteed money and he'll want the 34.5 plus if the deal is longer.  The only way I see the Chiefs saving $$$ would be if the Cards picked up some of the contract and that would mean giving up more draft capital.  Best hope for Hopkins is that AZ gets more desperate to unload his contract and cuts that kind of favorable deal.  If they would take a fourth to unload Hopkins, maybe they would take a third and eat some of his salary.  They have the cap room.  The Chiefs don't.  BTW:  I though Seth Keysor had a good analysis of a possible Hopkins deal today, pro and con.  

50 minutes ago, jetlord said:

No, I get it but don't see how it helps.  Right now Hopkins is due about $34.5 million over two years.  If KC trades for him, they'll be on the hook for it.  So giving him a four year deal buys what?  It's all about guaranteed money and he'll want the 34.5 plus if the deal is longer.  The only way I see the Chiefs saving $$$ would be if the Cards picked up some of the contract and that would mean giving up more draft capital.  Best hope for Hopkins is that AZ gets more desperate to unload his contract and cuts that kind of favorable deal.  If they would take a fourth to unload Hopkins, maybe they would take a third and eat some of his salary.  They have the cap room.  The Chiefs don't.  BTW:  I though Seth Keysor had a good analysis of a possible Hopkins deal today, pro and con.  

Hopkins will have to redo his contract and take less money. Cardinals are on the hook for 32 mil or so due to restructure, bonuses etc. They will save 8 to 9 mil In cap space. Think of him doing the deal like Cooks did with Dallas to fit the cap 

If Veach says it will be so, then it will be so, and he hasn’t said anything.  Trying to trust the process.

Though, it is hard watching other teams make moves without having a small amount of wtf is going on with the Chiefs in the back of my head.  

23 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Hopkins will have to redo his contract and take less money. Cardinals are on the hook for 32 mil or so due to restructure, bonuses etc. They will save 8 to 9 mil In cap space. Think of him doing the deal like Cooks did with Dallas to fit the cap 

Why would Hopkins redo his contract if he's traded?  It would only make sense for him if he got extended and got a guarantee worth more than $34.5 million.  The Cards save money if they release him, but then lose any draft picks.  The longer a prospective team wanting Hopkins waits, the better deal they'll get.  Only risk is that some other team will jump in first and that's a pretty short list. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Why would Hopkins redo his contract if he's traded?  It would only make sense for him if he got extended and got a guarantee worth more than $34.5 million.  The Cards save money if they release him, but then lose any draft picks.  The longer a prospective team wanting Hopkins waits, the better deal they'll get.  Only risk is that some other team will jump in first and that's a pretty short list. 

Don't think that list is as short as you think.  It's definitely a risk but frankly 19m & 15m cap hits for a proven receiver are pretty good even if you take on the full salary.  It doesn't really handicap your future as it's only 2 years.  

Further he would restructure for the same reason that any player restructures - bird in the hand.

For example, if you added 2 fake years to the contract you could convert 20 mil to signing bonus for 5 mil cap hit per over 4 years.  Now his 2 year salary is 14 mil.  Do a min salary this year for @6-7m hit, then next year it rises but you have more cap room next year. 5 mil for the 2 add on years should be easy to absorb as the gambling money amd new tv contracts kick in to the cap by then.

I'm just saying that contract is easily doable.  I'm also saying we need another reliable receiver however we get one.  DHop, another trade, draft, whatever.

10 minutes ago, xen said:

Don't think that list is as short as you think.  It's definitely a risk but frankly 19m & 15m cap hits for a proven receiver are pretty good even if you take on the full salary.  It doesn't really handicap your future as it's only 2 years.  

Further he would restructure for the same reason that any player restructures - bird in the hand.

For example, if you added 2 fake years to the contract you could convert 20 mil to signing bonus for 5 mil cap hit per over 4 years.  Now his 2 year salary is 14 mil.  Do a min salary this year for @6-7m hit, then next year it rises but you have more cap room next year. 5 mil for the 2 add on years should be easy to absorb as the gambling money amd new tv contracts kick in to the cap by then.

I'm just saying that contract is easily doable.  I'm also saying we need another reliable receiver however we get one.  DHop, another trade, draft, whatever.

We don't need a guy who is a prima donna who is going to demand a dominant number of passes.  With Mahomes, all we need are about 4 guys plus Kelce  for Mahomes to spread the ball around to. All Kelce's supporting cast has to be are "pretty good."  Just one decent 2nd tier FA veteran and a good draft choice will be enough without pissing off the receivers room or slowing the development of guys like Moore and Toney. MVS can be the guy to stretch the field.

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

We don't need a guy who is a prima donna who is going to demand a dominant number of passes.  With Mahomes, all we are about 4 guys plus Kelce  for Mahomes to spread the ball around to. All Kelce's supporting cast has to be are "pretty good."  Just one decent veteran and a good draft choice will be enough without stressing the receivers room or slowing the development of guys like Moore and Toney. MVS can be the guy to stretch the field.

Who is the decent veteran?  Pickings are getting slim.

And when Toney is hurt and/or both Skyy and Toney need another year of development (reminder that rookie receivers take a while in reid's system) we can watch while kelce gets double teamed and everyone else can't get off man.  That's what happened against better D's last year in our losses.  JuJu took the pressure off in the playoffs.  Who is doing that for us next year?

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

To play for a winner. Hopkins is guaranteed his money already. It has happened as Cooks juat did it for Dallas.

19 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We don't need a guy who is a prima donna who is going to demand a dominant number of passes.  With Mahomes, all we need are about 4 guys plus Kelce  for Mahomes to spread the ball around to. All Kelce's supporting cast has to be are "pretty good."  Just one decent 2nd tier FA veteran and a good draft choice will be enough without pissing off the receivers room or slowing the development of guys like Moore and Toney. MVS can be the guy to stretch the field.

Are you referring to OBJ or Hopkins?  Or both?  I think either would get plenty of targets if they kept their skills and stay healthy. 

38 minutes ago, xen said:

Maybe I'm confused on your numbers, but if the Chiefs did that, wouldn't they be on the hook for $20 million for seasons three and four plus whatever Hopkins demands to extend?  He'll want more for four years, even fake, than he has in hand for two.  Seems like a pretty big can to kick down the road with contracts coming for Sneed, Humphry, Smith, Gay, Bolton, etc. within the next two years.  Obviously, I'm not a capologist.  

25 minutes ago, xen said:

Who is the decent veteran?  Pickings are getting slim.

And when Toney is hurt and/or both Skyy and Toney need another year of development (reminder that rookie receivers take a while in reid's system) we can watch while kelce gets double teamed and everyone else can't get off man.  That's what happened against better D's last year in our losses.  JuJu took the pressure off in the playoffs.  Who is doing that for us next year?

Juju is easily replaced dumbass. We've covered that.