Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

1 minute ago, xen said:

Juju could get off press last year which all our non kelce targets struggled with.  Who's covered that exactly?

The dumbass thing was sarcasm.  Thats basically the sentiment of Everyone in the room when I suggested I hated to see him go.  

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe I'm confused on your numbers, but if the Chiefs did that, wouldn't they be on the hook for $20 million for seasons three and four plus whatever Hopkins demands to extend?  He'll want more for four years, even fake, than he has in hand for two.  Seems like a pretty big can to kick down the road with contracts coming for Sneed, Humphry, Smith, Gay, Bolton, etc. within the next two years.  Obviously, I'm not a capologist.  

No, 5 mil in years 3 and 4.  Total money is the same you just deferred 10 mil total.

That's just an easy example.  Where there's a will there's a way in working the cap and it doesn't have to mean cap hell.

Has Hopkins demanded to extend?  Bil thinks he's a primadonna as well but he's likely thinking of OBJ.

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

The dumbass thing was sarcasm.  Thats basically the sentiment of Everyone in the room when I suggested I hated to see him go.  

Ah gotcha.  Yeah he was an important part of our strategy last year whether fans like it or not.  Doesn't mean we can't replace it.  DHop is one way. There are others.  We just need a man beater besides Kelce and we'll be fine.  

43 minutes ago, xen said:

No, 5 mil in years 3 and 4.  Total money is the same you just deferred 10 mil total.

That's just an easy example.  Where there's a will there's a way in working the cap and it doesn't have to mean cap hell.

Has Hopkins demanded to extend?  Bil thinks he's a primadonna as well but he's likely thinking of OBJ.

So you're saying Hopkins would take the same $34.5 for four years as long as it was guaranteed but structured to be signing bonus spread over four years?  Don't understand that exactly, but it would still mean the Chiefs were on the hook for nearly 25 mil. after Hopkins was 32 years old.  Why would he sign for four years for the same total amount as he has locked in for two?  Not doubting your scenario, just don't understand it. 

I agree with xen.  You can get creative with what is owed him and giving a bonus of 20 million up front only kicks 5 million of dead cap to 2025 and 2026 assuming you don't resign him or extend him.  He could hold out for an extension but he doesn't have any leverage and with the wr market this offeason 19 million at his age doesn't look that bad.  Plus he would be playing for a contender.  Thought he made expressed that on the Pat Mc show.  

Plus, we can afford a veteran or two on this very young overall team.  Kelce is not getting younger.  He mentioned in after the SB.  He has literally played almost 6 seasons in the last 5 years when you count all the playoff games he has played.  He needs some help. Just because we won last year with the wr corp we had doesn't mean that is the best way to win.  Toney is uber talented but fragile until proven otherwise.  Moore shows a few flashes but mentally he has a long way to go to be counted on to carry the load.   

DHop forces other teams to game plan for him and with him and Kelce taking pressue away it gives Toney, Moore, etc better opportunities to develop and thrive.  OBJ is another options and right now Veach is playing hard ball and allowing all these other teams to burn their money and fill their holes all the while reducing the price of DHop or OBJ.   Time will tell but I trust Veach.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

So you're saying Hopkins would take the same $34.5 for four years as long as it was guaranteed but structured to be signing bonus spread over four years?  Don't understand that exactly, but it would still mean the Chiefs were on the hook for nearly 25 mil. after Hopkins was 32 years old.  Why would he sign for four years for the same total amount as he has locked in for two?  Not doubting your scenario, just don't understand it. 

He is owed 34.5 million for two years.   We add on two fake years so we can give him a 20 million dollar signing bonus up front to spread out over 4 years.  Now we only owe him 14.5 million.   Pay him 6-7 this year and the remainder (7.5-8.5) in 2024.  Then you cut him and we have 5 million dead cap in 2025 and 2026.  You need the two dummy/fake/add on years to spread the signing bonus.   Just one example of manipulating the cap.  We can do that because we have an owner with deep pockets.  

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

He is owed 34.5 million for two years.   We add on two fake years so we can give him a 20 million dollar signing bonus up front to spread out over 4 years.  Now we only owe him 14.5 million.   Pay him 6-7 this year and the remainder (7.5-8.5) in 2024.  Then you cut him and we have 5 million dead cap in 2025 and 2026.  You need the two dummy/fake/add on years to spread the signing bonus.   Just one example of manipulating the cap.  We can do that because we have an owner with deep pockets.  

Why would he do that? 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Who is the decent veteran?  Pickings are getting slim.

And when Toney is hurt and/or both Skyy and Toney need another year of development (reminder that rookie receivers take a while in reid's system) we can watch while kelce gets double teamed and everyone else can't get off man.  That's what happened against better D's last year in our losses.  JuJu took the pressure off in the playoffs.  Who is doing that for us next year?

It is very early.  There are trades and guys who will be released later.  It doesn't have to be a huge name. Mahomes will find the open guy. But how can anyone answer your question right now?  Veach will make moves.  He always does. We will have another couple of receivers, guaranteed.

If we are not quite as strong on offense, we may still be better on defense.  A slightly weaker offense that gets the ball back more times each game will score as many points, possibly more.  It is way too early for hand wringing and panic. We have no idea

28 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

One thing i do disagree with in the article is in the last paragraph is that they are intently waiting on someone.  Im not sure they are waiting.  I think they have made an offer to AZ and and one to OBJ and said this is it take it or leave it.  When Veach wants someone either in a trade or FA it usually happens pretty quick. This has been going on for over 3 wks now.   JMO but i think their comfortable with the core we have plus maybe another draft pick and a cheap vet to round it out that's why they are willing to let guys walk and not really sign anybody else.  

10 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It is very early.  There are trades and guys who will be released later.  It doesn't have to be a huge name. Mahomes will find the open guy. But how can anyone answer your question right now?  Veach will make moves.  He always does. We will have another couple of receivers, guaranteed.

If we are not quite as strong on offense, we may still be better on defense.  A slightly weaker offense that gets the ball back more times each game will score as many points, possibly more.  It is way too early for hand wringing and panic. We have no idea

Nobody is hand wringing or panicking.  In fact I see the opposite.  Most are saying veach will figure it out.  Reading is FUNdamental my man.

I am only responding to those that say we can't do this trade or it would handicap us.  That's demonstrably not true even if Jet doesn't understand how the cap works.

21 minutes ago, xen said:

Nobody is hand wringing or panicking.  In fact I see the opposite.  Most are saying veach will figure it out.  Reading is FUNdamental my man.

I am only responding to those that say we can't do this trade or it would handicap us.  That's demonstrably not true even if Jet doesn't understand how the cap works.

I'm all in for FUN, even if it is FUNdamental.  The cap is really hard to understand.  I think I understand all of the finances even less than Jet.

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Xen will hammer me for this, but I still don't see the logic.  You're paying him $14 million for two years and then $10 million over the next two years and equating that with $34.5 million over two?  Even from the fake numbers used in cap accounting, that doesn't add up.  Why would Hopkins do that?  He gets the same thing but is on the hook for two more years if he wants to play more.  Would you sign on for four years for the same total you agreed to for two?

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Hey gets the same money for 4 years the he is already getting for 2 years?  Plus he can be cut in year 3 or 4 and not even get what he will on his current 2.

Guess the people who didn't go to the school we went to have a different way of doing math.  🙂

seems D-Hop is on everybody's wish list  and now the Bills as well. to many players and that's usually when the Chiefs lose out. If it really is a loss which I'm not convinced of yet.

The Buffalo Bills reportedly have interest in a trade for All-Pro wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins.

According to NFL insider Aaron Wilson from KPRC2-TV in Houston, the Bills area the team “headlining” Hopkins’ trade market.

Latest on Odell Beckham Jr.: Jets' interest is 'very real'

March 22, 5:32 p.m

On a day full of moves for Gang Green, the Jets continue to look at possibly bolstering their wide receiver room.

According to SNY's Connor Hughes, the Jets' interest in Odell Beckham Jr. is "very real."

Aaron Rodgers and OBJ have a close relationship, and when the Jets contingent visited the future Hall of Fame quarterback in California earlier this month, the receiver's name was brought up.

Wednesday, the Jets signed former Chiefs wideout Mecole Hardman and traded Elijah Moore to the Browns, along with a third-round pick, for Cleveland's second-round pick in this year's draft -- the No. 42 overall pick.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Hey gets the same money for 4 years the he is already getting for 2 years?  Plus he can be cut in year 3 or 4 and not even get what he will on his current 2.

Hopkins himself has stated he is willing to be flexible to add on a year or two to make it work. He wants to play for a contender and a ring. I cannot say that last sentence enough in all my responses. His money is guaranteed this way and he will get the bonus up front most likely to make the cap hit even less the next 2 years. Arizona might also have to eat some of the salary in the trade, as they already have to eat the cap hit for the restructure and such they have done for him already. It is a lot, but this is another reason OBJ may work if he lowers his demands. No trading of picks and you get what you pay for him.

I think if the chiefs trade for hopkins they are only on the rook for base salary money and the cardinals would have to eat the rest as dead cap. thats if a new contract is not worked out.

if hopkins comes in, and plays under his current deal i THINK the cap hits for the chiefs would be.

2023 19 mil

2024 15 mil

thats not the end of the world for a 2 year rental of a potentially top 15-20 WR in the league.

that being said i have zero interest in extending hopkins and paying him beyond those two years. those are his 31 and 32 year old season, i dont want to pay for age 33, 34, 35 etc.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35905651/2023-nfl-free-agency-key-additions-subtractions-goals-left-team

kc.png&h=110&w=110

Kansas City Chiefs

Marquee additions: Jawaan Taylor (OT), Charles Omenihu (DE)

Marquee subtractions: Orlando Brown Jr. (OT), Frank Clark (DE), JuJu Smith-Schuster (WR)

Did the Chiefs hit their free agency goals? Not completely. The Chiefs wanted to re-sign Smith-Schuster, whose departure in free agency to the Patriots leaves a hole in their receiving group that they have yet to fill. In Taylor and Omenihu, they added younger replacements for Brown and Clark.

One thing we heard: While the Chiefs aren't necessarily done in free agency, they are looking toward the draft, where they have 10 picks and feel good about their ability to get good players. They Chiefs have found several productive players in later rounds in recent years.

Biggest remaining roster hole: The Chiefs lost Smith-Schuster and Mecole Hardman, so they have work to do at wide receiver. They have a start on next year's group with Kadarius Toney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Skyy Moore, but there's plenty of room for a veteran or a draft pick to come in and claim playing time. -- Adam Teicher