Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

6 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I think if the chiefs trade for hopkins they are only on the rook for base salary money and the cardinals would have to eat the rest as dead cap. thats if a new contract is not worked out.

if hopkins comes in, and plays under his current deal i THINK the cap hits for the chiefs would be.

2023 19 mil

2024 15 mil

thats not the end of the world for a 2 year rental of a potentially top 15-20 WR in the league.

that being said i have zero interest in extending hopkins and paying him beyond those two years. those are his 31 and 32 year old season, i dont want to pay for age 33, 34, 35 etc.

extending him would be only to get the cap hit down the first 2 years and spread it out. Then if cut his cap hit would still be minimal the last 2 years and he still gets paid. Pretty much take the 34 million and spread it out over 4 years instead of 2. Also if Arizona picks up any of that salary it becomes even less of a cap hit for any team trading for him. You could even add some salary the last 2 years to make it 9 mil per year and make it a 36 million dollar deal if you wanted to. Pay the signing bonus and the hit becomes even less. There is so much the Chiefs can do with Hopkins. This way Hopkins gets a little bit more than his guaranteed. The last 2 years would be cuttable and not much of a cap hit if he does fall off the face of the earth. He gets his money and we could even put in incentives also that he could attain years 3 and 4.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Hopkins himself has stated he is willing to be flexible to add on a year or two to make it work. He wants to play for a contender and a ring. I cannot say that last sentence enough in all my responses. His money is guaranteed this way and he will get the bonus up front most likely to make the cap hit even less the next 2 years. Arizona might also have to eat some of the salary in the trade, as they already have to eat the cap hit for the restructure and such they have done for him already. It is a lot, but this is another reason OBJ may work if he lowers his demands. No trading of picks and you get what you pay for him.

Just wanted to make sure I understood it. I do not think he would be interested in doing this. I would stay and collect the money in that case. 

1 hour ago, mex said:

To me it looks like there is missing a comma between the Chiefs and Ravens.  I read it as the Chiefs are interested if the price is right and the Ravens are not among the bidders.   

I could be read both are not among bidders.

Interesting indeed.

24 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

To me it looks like there is missing a comma between the Chiefs and Ravens.  I read it as the Chiefs are interested if the price is right and the Ravens are not among the bidders.   

I could be read both are not among bidders.

Interesting indeed.

either way, the Chiefs don't look to be in the picture... but you never know about these rumors.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Guess the people who didn't go to the school we went to have a different way of doing math.  🙂

A puzzled look on their faces works really well for them. They think long division has to do with politics.

30 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10070022-deandre-hopkins-trade-rumors-cardinals-eye-christian-mccaffrey-package-for-star-wr

They will probably come down on that asking price but alls it takes is one team to pay just even a 2nd or for AZ to be foolish enough not to come down and he goes nowhere.  

A second from the Chiefs is worth a lot less than a second from a team like, say, Baltimore.  

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

A second from the Chiefs is worth a lot less than a second from a team like, say, Baltimore.  

Agreed but I'm also still of the belief that they are more comfortable with the WR room than fans would like them to be so they would be ok with walking away from that when it gets to be more than what they wanna spend. 

9 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Wouldn't like to give any picks in the first two days for any WR, especially someone who'll want to be paid handsomely within a year. May be our late 3rd if they are up for it but still think that pick would be better utilized trading up for a LT or spent for the trenches on either side. 

28 minutes ago, mex said:

Zay Flowers would be an interesting selection... second rounder... not sure if he'd be there for us at 63 though. Moving up in the second isn't likely as hard as moving up in the first.

Zay Flowers Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

I hope we go this route.  I really hope we draft Darnell Wright in the first and then come back and grab a guy like Zay or whoever falls in the second and then spend the rest of the draft adding depth to the D.  

This is my hope too, though I wouldn't mind seeing them trading up in rd 2 for a DE. I'm no expert but it seems like we could pick up a very serviceable WR in rds 3-7 that would work in our system. Mahomes makes WRs better... they don't need to dominate... they just need the tools ie good speed, good hands, and the ability to learn the system quickly.  OTs and DEs are much harder to find imo. 

Yeah, I know... Cornel Powell disproves my theory on WRs... but I think there's something going on with him that's holding him back. No way Trevor L was able to make him a great WR while Patrick can't. He's struggling with the playbook... has to be it.

30 minutes ago, mex said:

This is my hope too, though I wouldn't mind seeing them trading up in rd 2 for a DE. I'm no expert but it seems like we could pick up a very serviceable WR in rds 3-7 that would work in our system. Mahomes makes WRs better... they don't need to dominate... they just need the tools ie good speed, good hands, and the ability to learn the system quickly.  OTs and DEs are much harder to find imo. 

Yeah, I know... Cornel Powell disproves my theory on WRs... but I think there's something going on with him that's holding him back. No way Trevor L was able to make him a great WR while Patrick can't. He's struggling with the playbook... has to be it.

OT, WR, and DE can be the hardest positions to draft especially the latter two.   Unfortunately we have needs at all three to some degree.  We haven't needed to draft an OT lately and while many feel Niang is the opening day starter at RT, we have had Wright in twice for visits.  My guess is keeping Mahomes protected is priority and last year showed we can find some vet wr's after cuts that can provide enough for this O to function at a very high level while the younger guys develop.   

A guy who tested poorly but whose tape is pretty good is LSU WR Kayshon Boutte.   Might be a sneaky good round two WR.   I get a little nervous about work out warriors at WR.   To your Powell point, from my understanding our playbook is complicated because it requires reading and reacting to the D in real time so regardless if you know what the play calls for you have to be able to read the D properly and then react in the same manner Mahomes does.   Being ultra fast doesn't matter if you don't break to the spot he is expecting you too.  We saw this time and time again with Hardman.  MVS and Moore to some degree but they get somewhat of a pass being their first year.   

Problem is after round 2 there isn't much in the way of DE talent left so you may be right they need to get that position there or the first and wait until 3rd round for the WR.  

33 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

OT, WR, and DE can be the hardest positions to draft especially the latter two.   Unfortunately we have needs at all three to some degree.  We haven't needed to draft an OT lately and while many feel Niang is the opening day starter at RT, we have had Wright in twice for visits.  My guess is keeping Mahomes protected is priority and last year showed we can find some vet wr's after cuts that can provide enough for this O to function at a very high level while the younger guys develop.   

A guy who tested poorly but whose tape is pretty good is LSU WR Kayshon Boutte.   Might be a sneaky good round two WR.   I get a little nervous about work out warriors at WR.   To your Powell point, from my understanding our playbook is complicated because it requires reading and reacting to the D in real time so regardless if you know what the play calls for you have to be able to read the D properly and then react in the same manner Mahomes does.   Being ultra fast doesn't matter if you don't break to the spot he is expecting you too.  We saw this time and time again with Hardman.  MVS and Moore to some degree but they get somewhat of a pass being their first year.   

Problem is after round 2 there isn't much in the way of DE talent left so you may be right they need to get that position there or the first and wait until 3rd round for the WR.  

Agree 100% on the OT... I think they'll go OT, DE and WR. There are still opportunities to pick up a good WR in FA on a prove it deal... but DEs and OTs aren't available... which is why I hope they go for an OTOTF early on, then DE. 

Hell even Mahomes had to 'cheat' a little on the playbook while going through his pre-draft interviews. I could only imagine how hard it is for some of the WRs out there.

I would never discount Andy/Veach's ability to pull a WR diamond out of the rough in later rounds though. They know what they're shopping for... they've perfected the art of kicking the tires in the NFL draft. 

This draft will be super exciting.

1 hour ago, mex said:

Yes.  I think in our system with Mahomes, having more WR's to target works better than having two star WR's that get the lion's share of the throws. At least that seems true comparing Tyreek Hill in 2021 with the guys we had last season.

If the Chiefs can grab a Tillman or Perry at WR in the third, maybe trading one of their fourths to move in the third, they should be okay at WR as long as Toney stays healthy.  Here's the question.  Would you rather the Chiefs start the season with JuJu, Hardman, and MVS plus a rookie or Toney, Moore, MVS, and a rookie?  I'll pick #2.  Add in resigning Watson and/or another FA, and their beginning WR group will be as good as the one the started their super bowl year with.  The Ross guys and nothing to depend on, but could be bonus bodies if needed.  That's why I hope the Chiefs ignore drafting a WR until at least round three unless someone with a first round grade drops to the second where they pick.

57 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs can grab a Tillman or Perry at WR in the third, maybe trading one of their fourths to move in the third, they should be okay at WR as long as Toney stays healthy.  Here's the question.  Would you rather the Chiefs start the season with JuJu, Hardman, and MVS plus a rookie or Toney, Moore, MVS, and a rookie?  I'll pick #2.  Add in resigning Watson and/or another FA, and their beginning WR group will be as good as the one the started their super bowl year with.  The Ross guys and nothing to depend on, but could be bonus bodies if needed.  That's why I hope the Chiefs ignore drafting a WR until at least round three unless someone with a first round grade drops to the second where they pick.

100% agree.  

1 hour ago, Holmes4six! said:

I’d like a stud TE from this draft added into this mix. 

Might by nice, but if the needs for the Chiefs are OT, EDGE, WR, DT, which are you going to bypass to get a TE?  Of course, it all depends on how the draft goes.  Better to get that stud TE than to reach too far for one of the others.

17 hours ago, jetlord said:

there is also the possibility that a decent WR gets released after the draft if their team drafts one of these young guys

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

A bunch of really good picks at TE out there.  Hate to waste a chance to get one of them.

I don't get all the clamor for a TE this year. Grey and Bell are doing good work, and we have far more pressing needs. If one falls to us in the 6th or 7th then yeah. 

Gronk retired after his 11th season, TG after his 17th pretty much a month before his 38th birthday.  Kelce is 33 now and will be 34 come 2023 season. 

Kelce likely wants to chase GOAT status. He's got a way to go stat-wise. He needs 5000 more yards to surpass TG, which means he'll need 4 more productive years (totally possible if he stays healthy) 

He'd be 38 like TG, but with 2 fewer seasons under his belt.

He'll also need 37 more TDs to catch Gates... he's averaging slightly over 10 per season last 3 years... which means he'd need at least 4 more seasons at current level of production. 

IMO yardage and TDs are the most important in determining GOAT status and I think he'll want that before retiring... at least I HOPE so.  MAN I HOPE SO.

Just my .03.