Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

8 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

So with Simmons signing for 94m wonder what that means for Chris Jones extension. 
Yikes. Cost keeps going up

yea that's pricey.

Part of me wonders if Veach is asleep at the wheel then gets blindsided  by an outrageous signing like this..much like Reek's price going up after the Raiders signing Adams

OR is it the Agent paying the wait game?

These kinds of moves make me wonder if it is an indicator that Veach is planning to move up.  He can offer up later round choices to move up by simply obtaining players in advance who are equivalent in value to the positions he would relinquish in a trade up.  To me, I see this  as an ihdicator of a trade UP scenario in the 1st.

6 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

He looks like a Juju replacement.  Similar type of across the middle catching.  

How are his hands and drop %?  Something that we should know before making any JuJu comparisons. He has quite a few drops on punt returns, and he will be more of a special teams player until he gets a WR opportunity. He might need some jugs machine work. I just don't know.

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

yea that's pricey.

Part of me wonders if Veach is asleep at the wheel then gets blindsided  by an outrageous signing like this..much like Reek's price going up after the Raiders signing Adams

OR is it the Agent paying the wait game?

Par

Guarfuckingteed it's the agent... they talk to each other and know what the other clients are asking.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

If my memory is correct richie James is excellent at getting open but fumbles constantly.

think that's bit of hyperbole. yes the G-Men fans mentioned that early on but  only one person seemed to dwell on it.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

think that's bit of hyperbole. yes the G-Men fans mentioned that early on but  only one person seemed to dwell on it.

Well Toney is the PR for now i thought. This guy can be a back up and take some slot receptions in case anyone is hurt or they want that much more slick type WR in the field.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

How are his hands and drop %?  Something that we should know before making any JuJu comparisons. He has quite a few drops on punt returns, and he will be more of a special teams player until he gets a WR opportunity. He might need some jugs machine work. I just don't know.

One thing I noticed watching highlights was he seems to be able to get open.  I feel like there are times Chief receivers have a hard time getting separation.  Could this be one of the things Veach sees as a potential to grow w Mahomes and Reid?

I fully expected a Jones extension to be around 4/116. If anything, I think the recent signings keep his cost a bit down. Maybe 4/104-ish. He needs to slot in with the premier pass rushers in the league. That would put him 4th at Donald > Watt > Bosa > Jones > Garrett. I think that would be an okay estimate.

As for Richie James, solid signing. Nice little slot/flanker option that helps improve our special teams. We were short on capable returners last year. 

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

These kinds of moves make me wonder if it is an indicator that Veach is planning to move up.  He can offer up later round choices to move up by simply obtaining players in advance who are equivalent in value to the positions he would relinquish in a trade up.  To me, I see this  as an ihdicator of a trade UP scenario in the 1st.

Interesting take.  I thought of it more as Veach covering all his bases so he's not forced to focus on one particular area in the draft.  While the Chiefs are still light at DE, WR, OT, and DT, Veach has filled at all those positions and could just go for value at places of need rather than having to get a WR in the first for example.  BTW:  It's good to see Ross working out with Mahomes at TCU.  It may not mean that he's going to be healthy by TC, but it's encouraging  

12 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

So with Simmons signing for 94m wonder what that means for Chris Jones extension. 
Yikes. Cost keeps going up

Honestly it's 23.5 average so incrementally better than the last few top DT signings.  CJ is gonna be the 2nd highest after Donald, that has been the hangup.  The question is where does CJ slot.  25?

With Donald at 31.6+, that complicates things more than the DT signings this offseason.  If anything, these DT signings for young good pass rushers helps the team as none of them got close to Donald.

17 minutes ago, xen said:

Honestly it's 23.5 average so incrementally better than the last few top DT signings.  CJ is gonna be the 2nd highest after Donald, that has been the hangup.  The question is where does CJ slot.  25?

With Donald at 31.6+, that complicates things more than the DT signings this offseason.  If anything, these DT signings for young good pass rushers helps the team as none of them got close to Donald.

Doesn't he have his 5th year option coming up and then the extension? His salary is 10.7 mil next year. I see that as a 21 mil avg. Not sure how all that works.

The CJ situation is nuanced.   There are a couple different scenarios that could be at play.   

1.  They could already have the frame work in place and are holding off in the event we need to move some of that money around to make room for a wr or fa.

2.  The agent is waiting like any good agent should to see what Simmons, Williams, etc sign for.

3.  Veach and Clark have decided to let CJ play out his contract and consider franchise tagging him next year.

4.  Veach and the agent are monitoring the market and will make a deal that benefits both when they know what being the 2nd highest paid DT in the L looks like.  No need to push a bunch of money back if they can fill their remaining holes with cheap vets and keep it as front loaded as possible.

5.  Both sides are miles apart and are not anywhere close to a deal.

I know they generally don't pay guys almost 30 this kind of money but CJ has 2-3 elite years left in his tank and this D without him would be bad like really really bad. For that reason I really hope they get this deal done and move up and grab a let DE not some cumbersome oaf.  The fact they met with Nolan Smith gives me hope. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Interesting take.  I thought of it more as Veach covering all his bases so he's not forced to focus on one particular area in the draft.  While the Chiefs are still light at DE, WR, OT, and DT, Veach has filled at all those positions and could just go for value at places of need rather than having to get a WR in the first for example.  BTW:  It's good to see Ross working out with Mahomes at TCU.  It may not mean that he's going to be healthy by TC, but it's encouraging  

Your are more likely right.

It may be that Ritchie James will put pressure on Skyy Moore for snaps if KC gets OBJ or D Hop.

The Chiefs LOVE competition at the skill positions and that will not change.

They have plenty of "Maybe's working hard on the practice squad but Andy likes those established wideouts.

IMO we see O-Line or Edge in the draft.

w

34 minutes ago, West said:

It may be that Ritchie James will put pressure on Skyy Moore for snaps if KC gets OBJ or D Hop.

They have plenty of "Maybe's working hard on the practice squad but Andy likes those established wideouts.

w

my gut says that boat has sailed

10 hours ago, arrowhead said:

Doesn't he have his 5th year option coming up and then the extension? His salary is 10.7 mil next year. I see that as a 21 mil avg. Not sure how all that works.

Details not out yet on the contract but an agent would look at new money average.

3 hours ago, West said:

w

OT or EDGE has probably always been the top priority.  Getting James and drafting a long WR such as Tillman or Perry, bringing back Watson, or getting a Ross from the PS would pretty much fill the WR room.  OBJ or Hopkins would be frosting on the cake.  Once again, Veach covers his needs before they become "have to" issues.  

32 minutes ago, jetlord said:

OT or EDGE has probably always been the top priority.  Getting James and drafting a long WR such as Tillman or Perry, bringing back Watson, or getting a Ross from the PS would pretty much fill the WR room.  OBJ or Hopkins would be frosting on the cake.  Once again, Veach covers his needs before they become "have to" issues.  

Give me Perry.